« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Rac
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
trund

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 2.0T XS Auto Indus Silver
Rac

Car would not start this morning, my thoughts flat batt. After a few tries with the jump leads still no joy so got the RAC out after he tried to jump it and a few tests he informed me it was the fob docking switch that was at fault, so I ring my fav mechanic who came out and was convinced it was the battery he told me if I bought a new one, and it did not work he would pay for it. Anyway new battery fitted and have drove around all day, and it has started every time.I'm wondering now why I pay for breakdown coverage, it could have cost me if I'd listened to him.

Post #425506 22nd Sep 2022 7:01 pm
RealBeale

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

The RAC left me stranded for over 8 hours, despite constantly telling me "they're on their way and will be with you shortly.
The Freelander was in a dangerous position. Due to the RAC's promises of "we'll be there soon", we went all day with no food or drink, stood by the side of the road. When the guy finally arrived, it was an "RAC Approved" guy who didn't have a jump pack on him - the battery being dead after 8 hours of constantly running the hazard lights , my Freelander being an automatic, so couldn't just put it in neutral. Another hour and a half for him to return to base 30 miles away and return with a jump pack . Absolute joke of company. They called me to ask if I would be renewing my membership when it ran out. Suffice to say, I didn't.

Post #425508 22nd Sep 2022 8:01 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

That beggars belief, a breakdown outfit without a jump pack or hard wired jump leads on his vehicle!
That's like a fire engine without hoses 🤣 Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #425510 22nd Sep 2022 8:42 pm
Rommel

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Fuji White

We have had similar issues with The RAC the old boilers Defender snapped its serpentine belt towing her Horse, 5 min job NO horse had to be rcoverd waited 9 hours for RAC to turn up and say "belt snapped needs to be recoverd" RAC useless and waste of money. every year when renewal due I phone and haggle the premiun and most time get discount or extend the cover but now thinking might be cheaper not to have cover and just phone a call out garage if needed at any time? 2013 FL2 XS.
Defender 90 300 TDi.
Defender 90 300 TDi CSW.
1964 MGB Roadster.
1944 Willys MB "Jeep" with bullet holes. (gone)
17 hand Irish Drought Thoroughbred (mostly lame)
Nagging Old Boiler.

Post #425517 23rd Sep 2022 6:50 am
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I had the steering lock thing happen I was stuck in a car park for 8 hours the van and guy they sent were useless he didn’t seem to have a clue then a mate of his turned up and they chatted for about half an hour about stuff while I stood there like a dick head then he tried towing the Freelander and his clutch went so I was farmed out to another recovery firm so I waited another 2 and a half hours for a creepy little bloke to turn up.

Post #425518 23rd Sep 2022 7:40 am
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

I'd use RAC for recovery only, as for anything else they're useless.
When my rear diff seized a couple of years ago, the RAC chap came out in a van, to assess the issue. I explained what I suspected the issue was. He then explained that he's the mechanic, so he would assess the problem himself. He tried to push the vehicle, then decided that there was a gearbox fault, and said he'll arrange a recovery truck. 5 hours later a recovery truck from a garage I used to work at arrived, the driver lifted the front of the Freelander, then the rear, then said the rear diff has seized then.
He then asked me where I wanted the vehicle taken, before he put rollers under each rear wheel, and winched it up on the truck.
We were back at mine in 5 minutes, where her rolled the Freelander backwards onto my drive, then removed his rollers and left.

So RAC were useless, but the garage driver they sent was a decent chap, who knew what he was doing. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. My daily driver.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #425521 23rd Sep 2022 10:39 am
Socrates

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Indus Silver

I have been with the RAC for over 40 years minus those few years I had a company car. NO MORE. On a breakdown RAC mechanic arrived looked under the bonnet, laughed and said ‘No chance’.’ It was a broken belt powering the steering. We were in one of those cess pits called a safe zone on the M6 ‘Smart Motorway.’ 5 hours later a contractor turned up. Driver said it’s not his usual job but was helping out. My cover included getting me and my caravan to my destination. In one of the many stops for a driver break he reversed hard and broke the front window of the caravan. I could not see it in the dark when we arrived at 01:30am and signed his ticket. It took two days to get through to the complaints who told me to email. I did get an acknowledgement stating 20 days for a response. After 9 weeks, several phone calls and emails still no response, then a complete denial of receiving my complaint. It is now in the hands of my insurers and on-going. Any suggestions who to use instead of the RAC?

Post #425590 27th Sep 2022 2:37 pm
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

I’d been with Driver Guardian for several years and called them out for a non-start (whilst at my sons wedding in Ireland) and last year when the oil filter sheared off spewing oil everywhere. They don’t have their own vehicles but assign local contractors. No issues with either incident and they’re very competitively priced (cheap!) for full Europe breakdown cover.
Swapped to AA this year as there was a significant Top Cashback deal going, recommended on here. Thought that for pretty similar money I’d take my chances with a larger organisation.

Post #425594 27th Sep 2022 5:32 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1