« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Smart meter help
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue
Smart meter help

I'm wondering whether someone can enlighten me from experience. We have a property that without our knowledge had gas and electric smart meters fitted.
They have now vacated the property and its been empty as decided to sell and complete in November.
We are being billed for usage on top of the standing charges.
The Gas valve at the meter is off and the electrics have all been switched off for few months.
Sure enough I have been over to the house tonight and it's showing units used whereas it was zero.
Do these unit just rack up units on their own ?
Thank you
Oh it's not huge amounts but about 25 quid onto of standing charge. Jaguar x-type sport gone
Jaguar x-type 2.2d sport one of my best cars ever sadly gone
Freelander 2 GS auto 2008 most unreliable ever ! gladly gone
Freelander 2 GS manual 2013 only time will tell !

Post #425282 15th Sep 2022 6:26 pm
NoDo$h

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

No they don't just rack up units on their own any more than the old meters would.

Check with your provider if they can provide any "usage over time" information to show when the power was drawn. If it's a steady trickle then something is still taking power somewhere. Are you confident that there is no possibility of power being taken off between the meter and the fusebox? Is the master switch off or just each circuit on the board?

If it's an amount taken in a short period then it points to power being turned on somewhere, then off again. Check the dates in your diary if that's the case. Current driveway contents:
2021 V60 Cross Country B5
2009 FL2 dog bus and shooting wagon

On Order: 2023 Fisker Ocean Ultra - deposit paid.

Post #425287 15th Sep 2022 7:49 pm
oldgeezer

Yes will do, every switch in the fuse box is off and has been for few months gas tap has been off for 3 months.
Units definitely creeping up.
Not even a door bell or TV booster on.
We're the only ones with keys.
It's gonna be interesting conversation with BG tomorrow. Jaguar x-type sport gone

Post #425289 15th Sep 2022 8:15 pm
gasman

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

There has always been an issue with smart meters.
Part of the issue is they are transmitting on the old 2g network.
They have never been reliable. Now at the point when I learn something new something old is lost out the other side !
Now retired so it doesn't matter anymore.
Freelander now gone.

Post #425297 16th Sep 2022 8:50 am
DEG5Y

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

You're not paying for the power used by the smart meter, are you?

Post #425325 16th Sep 2022 1:32 pm
Longdave

United Kingdom 
Re: Smart meter help

oldgeezer wrote:
I'm wondering whether someone can enlighten me from experience. We have a property that without our knowledge had gas and electric smart meters fitted.
They have now vacated the property and its been empty as decided to sell and complete in November.
We are being billed for usage on top of the standing charges.
The Gas valve at the meter is off and the electrics have all been switched off for few months.
Sure enough I have been over to the house tonight and it's showing units used whereas it was zero.
Do these unit just rack up units on their own ?
Thank you
Oh it's not huge amounts but about 25 quid onto of standing charge.

========================

I have been looking into having smart meters following media reports of proposals to reward the use of energy used outside peak times (although I would not have SM voluntarily without this rebate). One of my several reasons against is this very issue, as reported several times on our local Nextdoor forum:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer...is-faulty/

If you have a credit meter
Carry out these checks to see if your meter is faulty:
• switch off all the appliances in your home including any pilot lights
• check if the numbers on the meter's display are still moving
If the meter stops, turn on 1 appliance at a time and check the meter. If the meter starts to move very quickly, the appliance could be faulty.
If the meter is still moving, it's probably faulty. If it's a gas meter, you might have a gas leak - report it immediately to the National Grid Gas Emergency line on 0800 111 999.
You should contact your supplier to investigate the problem with your meter. They can arrange for it to be tested. From the day you tell your supplier about the problem, they have 5 working days to update you. When they update you they must do all of the following:
• tell you what they’ve done to investigate the problem
• tell you what they’ll do to fix it
• offer to confirm everything in writing, including how long it will take to fix the problem
If your supplier doesn’t do all of these things within 5 working days they have to pay you £30 compensation for each thing they didn’t do. They must do this within 10 working days. If they don't pay you on time they have to pay you an extra £30 for the delay.

Post #425394 18th Sep 2022 6:11 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Had them installed 8 weeks ago . They stopped transmitting inside 14 days . I still submit a reading online every 28 days . I only did it in case a Smart Only tarrif became available . 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #425396 18th Sep 2022 6:56 pm
andyk159

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Our EDF smart meter has never worked properly in 7 years.

Initially I was told it was because it was V1 tech and incompatible meters (!)

I was then updated to the latest V2 tech, which required a change of meter. I was told 5his would fix the problems, but despite repeated attempts at recommissioning system, the gas meter refuses to co-operate. They tell me it's a known issue but don't know when it will be fixed!

Smart meters not so smart after all. Rolling with laughter

Still sending quarterly meter readings Andy
Freelander2 HSE (59 Plate, MY10 spec)

Post #425399 18th Sep 2022 9:02 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Not really that smart are they?

Brother-in-law gave me a ring one Friday evening as the boiler was not playing. Went through the diagnostics and sure enough she wasn't igniting the gas. Gas what gas?

The smart gas meter has a battery that does eventually go flat, when it does go flat you get no gas - now if it was really smart it would tell the supplier that it needed a battery change before you called out a plumber (£100?)

Many many phone calls later and the meter was replaced on the Monday - can't change the batteries apparently - so dumb and wasteful. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #425415 19th Sep 2022 4:38 pm
CJOver

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

This thread is very interesting; we have not switched to smart meters as EON are unable to switch our gas meter because it has a medium pressure supply and none of their technicians say that they not been trained to work on this pressure system. We have had 3 different technicians review our meter and each time they have sent in reports with photos, but EON seem unable to get their act together and do anything about it.

Yes, they could have switched the electric meter, but I want both done not just one.

. MY13 HSE Lux Santorini Black
MY11 HSE Santorini Black Gone
MY08 SE Blue, Gone
Alfa Romeo GT Gone
Alfa Romeo 156 Space wagon Gone
Volvo V40 Gone
Volvo 480ES Gone
VW Sirocco GTX Gone

Post #425428 19th Sep 2022 7:12 pm
oldgeezer

Well slight update.
According to BG they shouldn't be increasing but now say they have lost contact with them, hmm so pretty smart then.
However, checked all electrics and everything is off, checked for cables in roof going to next door, all clear.
Away a few days so will go back and take another photo of meters when I return. Main gas tap in off and now chained locked so we will see.
I will update, currently zero trust with smart meter or bull Censored ( sorry I meant support ) Jaguar x-type sport gone

Post #425457 20th Sep 2022 4:19 pm
Jagracer

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Bali Blue

Hi, according to an American electronics engineer who worked for one of the manufactures of Smart Meters, the meters over read by ten percent due to the phasing of the supply voltage. This is a hidden money making scheme for the middlemen. The meter can be controlled remotely by phone, and I tried to get EON to recalibrate ours, but they refused. Powergen have agreed in principle that theory over read the victims electricity use. The meter and smart meter consume at the new prices perhaps fifty pounds a year to run them. The government know they are a rip-off, and have legalised the scam. The bit about the gas meter is interesting, as if it were in my house, I would cap it off. I have had the gasboard in the past do it live without isolating the supply their side. I had a house where the electricity suppliers fitters put a meter in without safety fuses. They got upset because I removed it and spliced in a temporary meter after they refused to come out and sort it properly.

Post #425480 21st Sep 2022 6:50 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1