Home > General > Broken again
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Control

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey
Broken again

Hi
Does anyone know where I can get an accurate wiring diagram for my 2012 2.2 SD4.
For the second time in a year it has broken down while towing my caravan. First time the fuel pump was replaced, 10.000 miles later it is showing all the same signs of pump failure again. When direct power is applied to the pump it operates ok. THe local garage have tested everything and say that there is no power feed to the pump. They are struggling to get an accurate wiring diagram for the 2012 SD4, even from Autodata.

Steve Mc

Post #424941 4th Sep 2022 9:29 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Hopefully someone will come along soon with the required diagrams.

But does your garage know that the electric fuel pump just balances the levels in both sides of the saddle type fuel tank?
If there is sufficient fuel in the active side there will be no power to the pump as the car doesn't need to transfer fuel from the passive side. At which point you could actually be looking at a faulty fuel gauge or wiring to that gauge. There was a fault with the FL2 wiring inside the tanks that played havoc in the early days - poorly terminated wiring if I remember correctly.

I had a faulty gauge that would mean that I would "run out of fuel" with nearly half a tank left - car thought there was no fuel in tank due to a faulty sender and it shuts the car down to prevent an air lock in the fuel line. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #424943 5th Sep 2022 7:48 am
Control

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Hi Andy 131.
Yes the garage is one I use regularly and trust for the family motors. On this occasion I've even been giving the mechanic a hand and putting ideas to him, mainly from folks on this forum. I like you at first thought that it would be the pump or the the gauge sender. The mechanic has proved the saddle tank pump to be ok. I yesterday went to his yard and put 5 gallons of fuel in the tank and pulled the air out of the fuel filter, but still no luck. The last new fuel pump is a genuine Land Rover one. He and I have checked the connector plug to the tank
We are finding that even with autodata wiring diagrams there are differences in their wiring layout and my F2. He has worked his way through the wiring and found that there is a voltage to the high pressure pump intially but it then slowly drops off?
Sounds like a poor connection or or a chafed wire somewhere? Also suspecting a faulty electric relay that switches the power to the HP pump? Hence the need for a good wiring diagram.

Hope someone has one. Already had to cancel a holiday this week

Bloody Land Rovers

Post #424949 5th Sep 2022 10:28 am
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

There is no electrical high pressure pump! The high pressure pump is mechanically driven by one of the cam shafts. It has very little suction effect which is why it is important to bleed all of the air from the system after changing the filter.
The only thing the electrical pump in the fuel tank does is to keep the inlet to the supply line to the HPP covered so that air is not introduced, by taking fuel from one side of the tank to the other.

Post #424951 5th Sep 2022 11:11 am
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

The electrical connector on the HP pump is there to control the bleed back solenoid, nothing else.
If the engine isn't turning, there will be no HP pressure, as its a mechanical fuel pump.
I suggest getting it to a garage that knows how the Freelander 2 fuel system operates. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ionic 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #424963 5th Sep 2022 3:53 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Control wrote:
Hi Andy 131.
Yes the garage is one I use regularly and trust for the family motors. On this occasion I've even been giving the mechanic a hand and putting ideas to him, mainly from folks on this forum. I like you at first thought that it would be the pump or the the gauge sender. The mechanic has proved the saddle tank pump to be ok. I yesterday went to his yard and put 5 gallons of fuel in the tank and pulled the air out of the fuel filter, but still no luck. The last new fuel pump is a genuine Land Rover one. He and I have checked the connector plug to the tank
We are finding that even with autodata wiring diagrams there are differences in their wiring layout and my F2. He has worked his way through the wiring and found that there is a voltage to the high pressure pump intially but it then slowly drops off?
Sounds like a poor connection or or a chafed wire somewhere? Also suspecting a faulty electric relay that switches the power to the HP pump? Hence the need for a good wiring diagram.

Hope someone has one. Already had to cancel a holiday this week

Bloody Land Rovers

There is a comprehensive series of wiring diagrams at the back of the detailed JLR manual (the freebie one from this site) which I suggest you download if you havent already. It goes up to 2012 so may be suitable for your car.

Also the saddle pump does not feed fuel to the engine - it just moves fuel from one side of the tank to the other.
The HP pump has an integral lift pump which sucks fuel from the tank. see page 995

Jules

Post #424964 5th Sep 2022 4:42 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Sorry - goes upto 2010 - but most of what's in it still relevant for older cars.

Its my initial "go to place" for my 2014 FL2

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n0e6q5jj1l1fe2z/...6-2010.pdf Jules

Post #424975 5th Sep 2022 10:16 pm
alex_pescaru

Below you will find wiring diagrams for all years/variants, grouped by VIN.
https://www.freel2.com/forum/post122076.html

Post #424984 6th Sep 2022 9:13 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1