Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

notwen wrote:
Hi guys.
Okay abit of an update from me on this.
In the end I went for the Witter Towbar - which was a doddle to fit....no bumper removal etc. And it came with an FL2 dedicated wiring loom which was also very easy to fit. Grey multi-pole connector that connects into corresponding grey connector in boot space of the FL2, and the loom has a black 'module' already connected with it.
But no trailer lights/functions work?
Any ideas?
I did note that in the bootspace fuse box on my car there was now fuse in FA9 - so a fitted one, and still nothing.
The fusebox lid also indicates a fuse position FA11 (40A) - but this is also vacant. Looks like its a style of fuse I'm not familiar with - i.e. bigger, more like a relay socket.
Is it possible it's just this bigger fuse that's preventing the trailer electrics from working?

Or is it, as I've read on other topics, that I need to take the car to a dealer to have trailer electrics programmed 'on'?

I've no experience with non LR towing modules. However from memory both towing fuses need to be installed. The fuse you're talking about is called a J type, they come in 2 heights, short and tall, you'll need the short type, which is available from most car accessory shops.

All lights should work without any programming, the brake lights don't even go through the towing module, they are powered directly from the car's brake light supply.
It's only the special towing features that need activation, like rear PDC deactivation, fog light deactivation, and the anti-sway system activation.

If nothing is working, make sure the earth connection is sound, which you didn't mention fitting. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ionic 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #425468 21st Sep 2022 6:52 am
Aveling

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Firenze Red

My experience after having the towbar fitted to my 2010 (60 plate) freelander 2 was that nothing worked until it had been to Land Rover to be coded.
All worked perfectly after 30 minutes in their hands.

Post #425476 21st Sep 2022 11:59 am
notwen

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Tambora Flame

Cheers guys for the info.

Nodge - you were right. Once I'd sourced and fitted the 40A 'J-type' fuse (FA11) which I managed to get N/Day on the dreaded Am@zon.....plugged that in tonight - and trailer socket functions all working now!

So no LR dealer programming involved.
After all at this stage the towbar is mainly going to be for a cycle carrier. So success Smile

On the downside: I plug the (Halfords) cycle carrier in and get little illumination/ nothing. wiggle the 7-pin plug around abit and you get the old light flicker on.
I've belled out the connections on the cycle carrier to the 7-pin plug with a meter - and all 'seem' okay. All bulbs are okay of course as well.
The perhaps 'unknown' factors are that I'm going through a 13-pin-to-7-pin converter socket.......and (maybe foolishly) I decided to add two LED (truck style) marker lights to add to defining the width of the bike carrier / bike wheels etc.

The old UK style 7-pin plug/skt contact arrangement doesn't seem great in terms of secureness......(the EU 13-pin twist lock arrangement does on this occasion seem better).

The additional marker lights that I've added are LED - piggy back connected from the existing RH/LH Tail lights of the cycle carrier. Could this be upsetting the CAMBUS network on the vehicle?

Post #425490 21st Sep 2022 10:29 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12