Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > service interval reset
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Deano64

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

That’s my dilemma also. Best car I’ve had so far . Most of the problems I’ve had are relatively easy fix except the expensive egr valve and cooler replacement which was probably the Indy going over the top (ripping off). And the whole clutch replacement , which was probably just the pedal (same garage) I’m always waiting for next thing to go wrong though. If I had a good reasonable garage I trusted I would keep it. Waiting for PTU problems next ???

Post #424121 11th Aug 2022 9:14 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

So you think that the PTU might give you grief - changed the oil recently or ever?
Preventative maintenance is the name of the game.

Running machinery until it breaks looks like the cheap option, but the unplanned down time (being without your car) is always a pain and forces you to use whoever can fit you in at a price they dictate.
The better garages have long waiting times for a reason, the same can be implied for those with no waiting time.

Same goes for parts, you want it in a hurry you are going to pay for the privileged often 2 - 3 times what you would have paid shopping around.

Biased obviously, old time-served maintenance engineer, who is self employed and would lose £250 a day if the car was suddenly out of commission. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #424125 11th Aug 2022 9:31 am
Deano64

Ptu oil never been changed (72000 miles). I asked local garage todo ita few months ago and he said he couldn’t do it. . I asked lr Indy to do it about 20000 miles ago and he said it didn’t need doing since oil wasn’t that bad. I can’t do it myself - no ramps , equipment or knowledge. So it seems no mechanics in commercial garages round me want to do it. I have others to try but not hopeful

Don’t need car every day any more

Post #424131 11th Aug 2022 2:10 pm
dan55

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Fuji White

I had my Haldex serviced and my diff oil changed by Bell Engineering last year. Mileage was 72000. I asked about the PTU oil as well and they said it isn't worth doing. As they are undoubtably the experts on Freelander Transmissions it put my mind at ease.

Post #424133 11th Aug 2022 2:19 pm
Deano64

Yep. I got the same info from Bell. Mines in local garage for service and mot next week so I’ve just asked them to have a look at the colour of the oil in the first instance. I know colour doesn’t mean a lot after working in oil industry for 18 years but if it’s black I’d be worried a bit. If it does need changing then the fun begins with the syringes

Post #424137 11th Aug 2022 3:29 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

Not changing £10 worth of oil in the PTU is plan silly, and asking for trouble in the future. I know Austin says the PTUs fail in short order anyway, but that doesn't mean the oil can be ignored, when the most likely reason the internal components fail is a lack of decent lubrication from the oil in the first place. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #424138 11th Aug 2022 3:46 pm
dan55

Austen told me and I quote: 'Its a waste of time doing front PTU oil as you cant get the old stuff out and to be honest the oil always looks perfect in these at any mileage before they fail.' I believe the failures are always the stripping of the splines due to design, not lubrication issues.

With the number he's seen that's more than good enough for me!

Now if you've had the mod with the plug put on it and all of the oil comes out then maybe.

Post #424144 11th Aug 2022 4:32 pm
Deano64

Are the splines even lubricated by the oil. or is it just the bevel gear I wonder

Post #424146 11th Aug 2022 4:49 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

The PTU doesn't just fail at the spine coupling to the gearbox. The bearings and gears wear too, and those are lubricated by the oil.

The oil comes out very easily with a £15 oil pump available on line.
I changed mine, and it took all of 15 minutes to do.

Having spent over 35 years in the automotive industry, I know how important lubrication of hard working components is. I'll go by my experience on this issue, not by someone running a business based on component failures.
If Austin says they fail anyway so why change the oil, he knows he's going to see it sooner than later. He has a vested interest in these expensive components failing, doesn't he, so it's hardly an unbiased point of view. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #424149 11th Aug 2022 7:41 pm
Deano64

I wonder why every garage I’ve approached ( only 3 but one is an expensive lr Indy) to change the oil won’t do it then. I’m trying again at another one next week so we’ll see.

Post #424150 11th Aug 2022 8:02 pm
Deano64

Maybe it’s getting the tube of the pump or syringe into the unit . That’s what most say

Post #424151 11th Aug 2022 8:04 pm
dan55

I think that you can safely say a fair chunk of the Automotive industry has a vested interest in components failing or there wouldn’t be one. If that were the case then I’m sure Bell would have told me my Haldex didn’t need servicing for £150 and wait for me to rock up needing a new one eventually along with the diff.

4 Freelander 2’s 300,000 miles between them and no PTU oil changes, no new PTU’s from Bells either. Pay your money and take your choice.

Post #424152 11th Aug 2022 8:15 pm
Deano64

What’s the highest mileage fl2 you had? Judging by my current annual mileage , I’m only putting on about 6000 per year and likely to reduce this so my Ptu might last ages 😀. I’m sure other things will fail in the coming years, but it might be going for a little car anyway since my driving has now severely reduced and we have another car

Post #424153 11th Aug 2022 8:51 pm
dan55

125k on a 58 plate followed by 105k on a 62 plate. Plenty of other niggles though as you say but I have a good indie local and have used Bell. Everytime I moved away from one I just got the urge to get one again so have one now as a second car and hopefully it’s a long term keeper!

Post #424154 11th Aug 2022 9:01 pm
Deano64

Another 10 years plus for mine then 😬. Diesels will be banned by then anyway 😬

Post #424156 11th Aug 2022 10:07 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>