« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Rain sensing wipers
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Joiner_8

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Loire Blue
Rain sensing wipers

I have recently taken delivery of my new FL2 TD4 and wonder what you all think of the rain sensing windsreen wipers, I dont think they come on very quick and also when you select the second setting I am having problems with the intermittent speed control, it does not alter the speed when you decrease the setting on the speed selector.
any comments welcome

Post #2615 23rd Apr 2007 6:12 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

I don't find the instructions very clear in terms of differentiating between rain sensing and intermitent, so tend not use the feature, I use the manual single wipe wipe instead.

Post #2618 23rd Apr 2007 6:59 pm
QUERCUS

2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

avtur wrote:
I don't find the instructions very clear in terms of differentiating between rain sensing and intermitent, so tend not use the feature.

must admit i dont understand it either... hasnt rained much yet, though 2007 Freelander 2 HSE i6
stornoway grey
black leather

Post #2634 24th Apr 2007 7:36 am
carlfraz

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I did not read the book but assumed the wipers were 'rain sensing' (intermitent), or single speed, or double speed, with a flick wipe if you manually pushed lever down.???? Exclamation

Post #2641 24th Apr 2007 8:50 pm
defkalion

Greece 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I must also admit that the instructions are not clear. I have used the wipers once really (not much rain in Greece this year), and having the sensitivity to the minimum they worked much harder (sometimes even at full speed with moderate rain) than they should. It's not just that wipers are worn out much faster this way, but the windscreen may get much easier damaged from dirt etc if there is not enought water on screen to make the wipers slide well. Any solutions? Could that be a software upgrade problem as well (although from an electronics point of view it looks much simpler a circuit). By the way, anybody knows how to switch to intermittent function - non auto?

Post #2648 25th Apr 2007 7:00 am
AndyP

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

So , how has anybody noticed any difference in adjusting the sensitivity control. Mine seems to make no difference , and even in fairly light rain the auto setting very quickly wants the wipers to run at their highest speed ... madness.

It seems WAY too sensitive to the slighest rain spot on the sensor area.

Post #2925 9th May 2007 12:34 pm
stuartp

United Kingdom 

I have had various issues with the rain sensing wipers, as I have put in another post.

They automatically do one wipe of the screen when I start the car so I now tend to turn then off until the car is started.

Another thing is if I adjust the sensitivity of the wipers they will wipe the screen even if its bone dry??? If I have the auto wipers off and then click the stork in to auto again wipers will wipe the dry screen, can’t see this is correct as it never did it on a RAV 4 I had with auto wipers?

All that going to happen is a nice scratch on a dry screen!

Post #2928 9th May 2007 1:26 pm
boiledgnat

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Drove in rain for the first time at the weekend since getting my FL2 (Bizzare for April/May!!)

Have to say that my auto wipers were very well behaved. I've always had them on auto and haven't notice the single wipe on start up. Also, they did change appropriately as the rain got heavier or lighter. I'll check exactly what settings the stalk is on, as I can't remember from memory (I'm not sure I've ever changed it from what the dealer set it at Exclamation )

Post #2930 9th May 2007 2:55 pm
QUERCUS

2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

The one-wipe "problem" when starting the car may be because of dust on the windscreen. The sensor thinks the dust is rain and thus wipes once. This happened to me once when I parked the car on a dusty street. 2007 Freelander 2 HSE i6
stornoway grey
black leather

Post #2951 10th May 2007 6:50 am
AndyP

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

An Update:-
After googling around , I found Audi owners complaining of similar poor autosense functionality , and some fellow mentioned that if he kept the area of the sensor really clean , matters improved.
I'd tried windowlene to no great improvement , but then I used some RAC-Autowindscreen deep clense , or some such name , donated to me last time they changed the windscreen on my Disco. It looks like up market bath cleaner!, and todays performance in the rain was much better, and I can safely say the sensitivity control does diddley squat, but the autosense behaviour was rather good , albeit too frequent.
How the dealer is going to handle this .. we shall see.

Post #2964 10th May 2007 5:58 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Interesting update from Andy P, along the same lines I wonder if treating the area around the sensors with Rain-X would help or hinder the auto sensing?

Post #2966 10th May 2007 7:23 pm
Joiner_8

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Loire Blue

AndyP wrote:
So , how has anybody noticed any difference in adjusting the sensitivity control. Mine seems to make no difference , and even in fairly light rain the auto setting very quickly wants the wipers to run at their highest speed ... madness.

It seems WAY too sensitive to the slighest rain spot on the sensor area.

Thanks for the reply,
Like yourself I have not found any difference when I change the sensitivity control, and the wipers will not come on until it is heavy rain or until I cant see out the windscreen.

Post #3018 11th May 2007 10:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1