Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Any experience of an Audi Q5?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
GJH0702

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Sumatra Black
Any experience of an Audi Q5?

Hi

I have just sold my Discovery Sport which was my 5th LandRover.

Main problem I had was albeit I do app 12k miles per year my family live 2 miles from me and shops are app 3 miles, my wife has some health challenges so cannot walk far and thus we do a lot of short journeys - which caused OIL dilution - 3 oil changes in 17k miles.

Looking at a new Q5 either S line or Sport(depending on ride) would ideally like another diesel for MPG and will need 4x4(Quattro)

Welcome any advice / guidance on the running of an Audi Q5

(
I have tried Audi forum but no help- not at good as the Freel2 community) 2011 XS,Sumatra Black, GONE MARCH 2014- RR Evoque Prestige 5 door ,MY 2014,Loire Blue, Silver Roof, Panoramic roof.
MY 2016 Disco Sport HSE Auto Scotia Grey,REJECTED
Mercedes E220D AMG line with air suspension(Gone)
DS 200 SE Dynamic my 21 (Gone)
DS 200 SE Dynamic my 22 (Gone)
Audi Q5 40TDI S line

Post #423348 18th Jul 2022 11:26 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Not a diesel engine if you are doing short trips. So glad we have a petrol Land Rover. We have gone from around Australia to 800km 2020, 400km 2021, looking at <1000km 2022.

If doing 12k a year of short trips an EV is the go. In 2016 we installed 3 phase in our garage ready for an EV (as all the other garage owners in our block of units), but currently doing so little mileage it's not even worth changing the car.

Around my area on Sydney Northern Beaches there are EVs everywhere. It must be the entire EVs sold in Australia as we don't buy many, mostly due to Australia political climate wars, it's that out of hand.

In Australia if you look at the average vehicle mileage it works out to only 8kWh per day to top up a vehicle based on the watts per km. For the bulk of the population ICEs do not add up.

So for most people a 240v 15amp circuit is more than enough. You can easily get a 20amp 240v plug in circuit like a cook top.

Normally wired in but here is a 20amp 240v circuit for our cooktop:

415v 3 phase which could also be used as 3 seperate 240v 20amp circuits.
 Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #423350 18th Jul 2022 11:41 pm
GJH0702

Thumbs Up 2011 XS,Sumatra Black, GONE MARCH 2014- RR Evoque Prestige 5 door ,MY 2014,Loire Blue, Silver Roof, Panoramic roof.
Audi Q5 40TDI S line

Post #423353 19th Jul 2022 7:59 am
NoDo$h

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Do NOT buy a diesel of any kind. Short journeys will mean you end up having to go out for regular DPF regen runs, that will negate any possible fuel saving by forcing you to make journeys you wouldn't otherwise have taken.

Petrol, PHEV or BEV depending on how the rest of your 12000 miles is made up.

If you do a couple of 200+ mile journeys each month Petrol or PHEV
If all your journeys are under this, then PHEV or BEV.

Q5 is a nice enough car. Boot and seat access is lower than the D-SPort or the FL2, which can be a bonus.

Have you considered estate cars? We went from a Disco3 to an XC60, then to a V60 Cross Country. It's 4wd, auto, and does 36-38mpg average, more on a run. If you like the Audi brand you could also look at the A4 estate in petrol quattro guise. Current driveway contents:
2021 V60 Cross Country B5
2009 FL2 dog bus and shooting wagon

On Order: 2023 Fisker Ocean Ultra - deposit paid.

Post #423356 19th Jul 2022 10:27 am
GJH0702

Thumbs Up 2011 XS,Sumatra Black, GONE MARCH 2014- RR Evoque Prestige 5 door ,MY 2014,Loire Blue, Silver Roof, Panoramic roof.
Audi Q5 40TDI S line

Post #423357 19th Jul 2022 10:32 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

NoDo$h wrote:
Short journeys will mean you end up having to go out for regular DPF regen runs, that will negate any possible fuel saving by forcing you to make journeys you wouldn't otherwise have taken.

I've never had to do that with any of my diesels with DPF (BMW and FL2) - maybe its regularly standing idling in traffic jams that causes the problem. Luckily that's never been much of an issue for me. Jules

Post #423359 19th Jul 2022 11:25 am
Mikey

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

Our neighbour had one, had nothing but trouble with it

Water leaks into the boot
Lighting faults
Clutch crapped itself, and were quoted £2k to repair at an indy, and 3k at a dealer...

Post #423364 19th Jul 2022 12:13 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jules

They are just expensive VWs really. Nice interiors but mechanically a VW underneath.
VW used to be synonymous with reliability but that was decades ago and since then we've seen from Dieselgate what VAG is prepared to do in order to cut corners and what it thinks of its customer base.

Personally Id go for a Volvo. Ford owned. Ford produced the FL2 when they owned Landrover - a cut above all the other Landrover vehicles in terms of reliability. Jules

Post #423367 19th Jul 2022 4:07 pm
Dartman the one

England 

Volvo went to the Chinese some years ago, though it seems to run similar to JLR and Tata hand the old stuff over to be built in China and the Swedes do all the new stuff my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #423368 19th Jul 2022 5:37 pm
GJH0702

Mikey wrote:
Our neighbour had one, had nothing but trouble with it

Water leaks into the boot
Lighting faults
Clutch crapped itself, and were quoted £2k to repair at an indy, and 3k at a dealer...

Audi Q5 40TDI S line

Post #423379 19th Jul 2022 8:00 pm
davyboy

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black
Audi A5 should I buy one?

Well, having been in the motor trade some time now my personal answer if it were me NO I would not purchase any Audi, I have a very close friend who was able to have a job with a car, fuel card and all the rest. At the time he thought he had a good deal with an Audi Q5, nothing but trouble, this car spent more time at the dealers which I found un acceptable. Engine rattle from cold.
Eventually he was given another Q5 and that was found again to have at this time a water entry where the boot and rear footwells filled up with water, this was eventually sorted as poorly fitted sunroof seals.
So at the end of the lease with service history he bought this car for his wife as he knew the history plus all the niggles were sorted, 45000 miles full main dealer history.
He then progressed to a A5 which did have issues but were sorted.
The Q5 broke down just short of the M25 leaving the M40 on a holiday route to France pre covid, towed to an Audi dealer where they said the cause of the breakdown was a stretched timing chain, which needed a further investigation.
He gave them the original and service history plus the purchased Audi extended warranty which they said didn’t cover the stretched timing chain and the final cost with vat over £4500.00 ish.
This then resulted in a very time consuming and painful time spent thrashing this out with Audi UK which they said NO warranty, or any contribution to costs which I find un excusable with the said history plus Audi warranty.
They said the issue was that the original lease company failed to inform the driver that the vehicle needed an important software upgrade which didn’t happen and the so called extended warranty he had paid for some £600 quid didn’t cover any major part failure.
The car eventually ended up sold on eBay with a shorter value, he refused the company car and had a landrover discovery which he again purchased cheaply and has now taken on the latest hybrid from landrover.
The irony is that although these cars look attractive and they are, just check the small print on the warranty before you commit, I suppose any car manufacturer has clauses but just check before you hand over your hard earned cash.

Post #423385 19th Jul 2022 9:15 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jules

Dartman the one wrote:
Volvo went to the Chinese some years ago, though it seems to run similar to JLR and Tata hand the old stuff over to be built in China and the Swedes do all the new stuff

I didnt know that. Thanks. Jules

Post #423388 19th Jul 2022 9:54 pm
jules

I did have a Mk1 Audi TTS (3.2 v6 quattro auto).
It was quite old when I bought it - for a laugh. It had been beautifully put the together. The interior was lovely.
The free-revving V6 sounded awesome.

But for a sports car the handling was simply atrocious - understeer +++, our 1.0L Fiesta drove much better around corners. Jules

Post #423389 19th Jul 2022 10:06 pm
GJH0702

Re: Audi A5 should I buy one?

davyboy wrote:
Well, having been in the motor trade some time now my personal answer if it were me NO I would not purchase any Audi, I have a very close friend who was able to have a job with a car, fuel card and all the rest. At the time he thought he had a good deal with an Audi Q5, nothing but trouble, this car spent more time at the dealers which I found un acceptable. Engine rattle from cold.
Eventually he was given another Q5 and that was found again to have at this time a water entry where the boot and rear footwells filled up with water, this was eventually sorted as poorly fitted sunroof seals.
So at the end of the lease with service history he bought this car for his wife as he knew the history plus all the niggles were sorted, 45000 miles full main dealer history.
He then progressed to a A5 which did have issues but were sorted.
The Q5 broke down just short of the M25 leaving the M40 on a holiday route to France pre covid, towed to an Audi dealer where they said the cause of the breakdown was a stretched timing chain, which needed a further investigation.
He gave them the original and service history plus the purchased Audi extended warranty which they said didn’t cover the stretched timing chain and the final cost with vat over £4500.00 ish.
This then resulted in a very time consuming and painful time spent thrashing this out with Audi UK which they said NO warranty, or any contribution to costs which I find un excusable with the said history plus Audi warranty.
They said the issue was that the original lease company failed to inform the driver that the vehicle needed an important software upgrade which didn’t happen and the so called extended warranty he had paid for some £600 quid didn’t cover any major part failure.
The car eventually ended up sold on eBay with a shorter value, he refused the company car and had a landrover discovery which he again purchased cheaply and has now taken on the latest hybrid from landrover.
The irony is that although these cars look attractive and they are, just check the small print on the warranty before you commit, I suppose any car manufacturer has clauses but just check before you hand over your hard earned cash.

Audi Q5 40TDI S line

Post #423391 19th Jul 2022 10:41 pm
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
Re: Audi A5 should I buy one?

davyboy wrote:

I find this all a bit odd, if the vehicle had a full main dealer history then it’s the main dealer who failed to provide the update, the lease company and driver have little to do with this.

Probably more to it that he forget or didn’t tell you, as it just doesn’t sound right. Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #423395 20th Jul 2022 10:12 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>