Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Best leather cleaner?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Huang

Australia 2009 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Santorini Black
Best leather cleaner?

What's best to use to clean dirt off leather seats? I've got a bit of soil/mud on the cusion section of the seat, and the dirt seems to be penetrated into the perforated little holes. Tried ArmorAll but can't get it all off. Any advice?

Post #78169 12th Oct 2010 2:09 am
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I use Gliptone Liquid Leather...it takes a little time as you have to use the cleaner and then the conditioner but it's top stuff! Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #78196 12th Oct 2010 12:17 pm
athelstan

Huang
I use the LR leather cleaning kit, part number BAC500490. It is easy to use and from experience works well, however I cannot vouch for its ability to keep the seating in first class condition over many years, or, its restorative abilities to hide scratches or remove kids crayons/pen marks for example.

How the LR product compares to others on the market is beyond my experience - perhaps there are FL2 members here who have used both LR and others and can offer their observations?

Post #78198 12th Oct 2010 12:27 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I use the raceglaze leather cleaning kit, as Dave above cleaner and a balm for afterwards

Meguier leather stuff is good too, but I doubt anything will get grains of mud out of the perforations, when I got sand in mine I vac'ed mine with the brush attachment and push what did not come out into the hole with a pin Embarassed Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #78199 12th Oct 2010 12:27 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

I've got a bit of soil/mud on the cusion section of the seat, and the dirt seems to be penetrated into the perforated little holes.

That is a different problem to just using a leather cleaner - I tried the most expensive in the shop (cant remember the name of it) but ended up using a large sewing needle (not bigger than the original holes) to push through the perforations to make the seat look good again Thumbs Up Then buff it over with the leather cleaner/retexture stuff afterwards Thumbs Up 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #78201 12th Oct 2010 12:39 pm
EXPENCELANDER

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Essential to remove the ingrained dirt before applying any restorer/conditioner, my tip is to use Mr Muscle Kitchen Cleaner (Clear not Orange) on a cloth, perfect also for leather & suede shoes & clothing, scrub away at your hearts content.
Then my recomended products would be from the Gliptone range.
I tried all the above products in trade tests over many years,(technical advisor in the Leather Industry) Gliptone Conditioner will give you back that genuine Leather smell, the only one in the UK that does what it claims (I tested them all).
It is paramount that you feed the leather periodically (but not over the top of dirt).
Leather is dead skin and just think of what women put on their living skin to get it remaining supple.
One thing that worries me is the new supple leather being used in the new freelanders, methinks it will go like a pair of baggy arsed underpants in a few years time as the material stretches, especially if the driver is as heavy as me. (Nip & Tuck anyone!!!).

PS. Gliptone Leather Conditioner will not work on substitute/fake/faux/PU Leathers even though the aroma is quite strong in the container.
Gliptone Leathercare Todmorden West Yorkshire.

Post #82102 28th Nov 2010 5:24 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

As advised by LR, warm soapy water followed by a leather conditioner Thumbs Up ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #82119 28th Nov 2010 6:07 pm
EXPENCELANDER

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Warm soapy water will not shift Grease/Oil.
Plus LR have to cover themselves as they do not have the reports on all the tested products of the present and future, so warm soapy water they think, will not cause problems.....how wrong can they be, what is some idiot going to use as Soapy Water and how much water and how hot!!!
Seen far too many Leather and Suede products stained from Water (average 50 per year)to steer well clear of Water.
Be very careful with any cleaning product that you do not over wet the area or you could end up with dark circles around the edges of the dried area, these are much more difficult to disperse.
As with any wetting agent on a skin, put the substance used onto a cloth that has no colour in it or colour bleed can occur, especially with Red. Then work from the badly soiled area to the far edges of the item being cleaned. Do not just clean the soiled area or water marks could appear when the item has dried.
Black Leather is very forgiving but the lighter colours should be treated with great care.
The guys who clean carpets and 3 piece suites are very good at doing Leather Car Seats if you are unhappy about doing it yourself. Plus if you have very light coloured leather don't forget to have it Scotchguarded, worth the extra as it will clean more easily and deter staining,
Just dont carry Milk cartons on the seats or 2 weeks later you wont want to open the doors to get in.

Post #82150 28th Nov 2010 9:42 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1