« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > In Car Electronics > Gone for the cheap Android auto option in the end
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Nbuuifx

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey
Gone for the cheap Android auto option in the end

We've had the Freelander for about a year now and I find the built in man to be terrible as it so clunky.

I've ummmmmed and arrrred for ages about getting an xtrons system but I can't justify the cost.

So I've finally given in and spent about £20 buying a magnetic mount and a ugreen Bluetooth adapter.

The Bluetooth adapter is tiny basically contained within a USB plug, with a wire coming out of it to go to the aux socket.

The audio quality is great through it.

All connects very well and with the new updates to Google Maps, it pretty much operates in the same way as Android auto does on my other car where it is built in.

In reality it isn't much difference either as in my other car I have to plug my phone in each time to connect to Android auto, with this I have to just place it in place on the mount and start the app.

My only very minor grow is that it is supposed to be able to auto start when it connects to a car but it doesn't know that the ugreen adapter is a car (at least that is what I think the problem is) so it doesn't autostart.

Otherwise very happy with it as a solution.

Post #422464 17th Jun 2022 5:35 pm
MotionInc

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

And it works with Tablets too. Just get a extended passenger seat foot rail mount, easy peasy and very reasonably priced. I use my cell as a Hotspot for the tablet and a Bluetooth 3.5mm adapter. My data plan is good as well as the 5G speed.

Post #422470 17th Jun 2022 10:15 pm
Nbuuifx

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Post #422472 17th Jun 2022 11:17 pm
Richijones

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Barolo Black

This is what i did as a cheap alternative to xtrons.
I got a Pure Highway DAB and stuck the receiver/ aerial on the offside window in the boot. Then with the aid of a usb extension lead and a male/ female 3.5mm extension i manage to get the cables to the aux input and power socket at the rear of the console. So output from DAB goes into Aux socket and power is via a usb adaptor that goes into the power socket.
So now i have digital radio and because the Pure Highway has bluetooth i can connect my phone as well. The Pure Highway is controlled by a battery powered remote that can be dash mounted or kept in the glove box.
Only down side was that i had to remember to lift out the USB adaptor when parked as rear power socket is permanently live.

I have since improved on the above.
Rewired power socket to be ignition controlled.
I bought a new aux input socket and disconnected the one on the console, so plugging the new socket to the existing wire the audio connection can be hidden in the console.

I also got a usb power supply with wires and piggy backed off the power socket so that i did not need the plug in usb adaptor. The piggy back adaptor also lives under the console.
So now all the wiring is hidden and the DAB comes on automatically with the ignition.
Sat nav and Spotify can now all play with factory fit radio.

Post #422839 29th Jun 2022 1:21 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1