Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Latest MOT Rules Regarding Halogen Headlight Conversions.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Dave47

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Izmir Blue

^^^^^^^^

I wish Kent police was that hot on headlights,  DAVE.
I.A.M. F1rst Driver.
Gone 2003 Discovery TD5 Auto,
Gone 1986 Defender 90 Station Wagon
Gone 1984 Range Rover 3.5 Vogue Manual.
Gone 1970 Series 11A/3 SWB 3.5 V8 Hybrid
Gone 1964 Series 11A LWB Van
Gone 1966 Series 11A SWB Van
Gone 1964 Series 11A LWB Station Wagon,

Post #426453 2nd Nov 2022 7:03 pm
moestr7v8

England 

Hi, thanks everyone for your replies concernng our headlight conversion, I think we will be reverting back to the bulbs that were in originally, I think they were halogen not sure so when it stops raining I will check it out.
It certainly appears to be a grey area, still, an expensive lesson learnt Sad
Once again thank you everybody for your help.
Cheers
Moe

Post #426466 2nd Nov 2022 10:01 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

just to be clear , what type of headlamps do you have , projector or reflector ? Jules

Post #426471 3rd Nov 2022 12:46 am
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

From the Avatar it looks like reflector lamps, but a definitive answer would be good. Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #426481 3rd Nov 2022 11:53 am
moestr7v8

England 

Hi Jules and David, I am not sure which headlights I have got , how do I tell the difference between them? Sorry if I sound a bit thick on this subject I will take some photo's tomorrow and see if can upload them if it helps to identify the type. the pics are the same car the car was re-registered with the RAN plate, we have three retired/rescue greyhounds hence the plate Rolling with laughter
Cheers
Moe

Post #426529 4th Nov 2022 9:03 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

You've got reflectors, hid's aren't going to work properly in those. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #426531 4th Nov 2022 9:10 pm
moestr7v8

England 

Thanks Bob, so what's the best bulbs to use in the reflector lights for better lights for better night vision.
Cheers
Moe

Post #426533 4th Nov 2022 9:34 pm
jules

@moestr7v8
As Bob says you've got reflectors.
There is a parabolic reflector behind the bulb and the bulb is visible.
With projector units there is an "eyeball"-looking lens in front of the HID or halogen bulb (see my pics) and you cant see the actual bulb.

HID is not for your lights I'm afraid. Jules

Post #426534 4th Nov 2022 9:36 pm
jules

moestr7v8 wrote:
Thanks Bob, so what's the best bulbs to use in the reflector lights for better lights for better night vision.
Cheers
Moe

There are various high power halogen bulbs available from all the bulb makes eg Osram Nightbreakers - they range upto 200% more light output - but can have shorter lifespan and are generally more expensive

hers a start
https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/product-grou...bulbs-2022 Jules

Last edited by jules on 4th Nov 2022 9:41 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #426535 4th Nov 2022 9:39 pm
moestr7v8

England 

Thanks Jules, would it be possible to upgrade to the projector units for my car, if so would the hID lights still be illegal?
Cheers
Moe

Post #426536 4th Nov 2022 9:40 pm
jules

People have successfully upgraded to HID units on this forum by obtaining 2nd hand genuine parts - they are not cheap - you need to change the whole light unit and may need to mess about with wiring too.

You must have headlight washers - which you do.

The cars coming from JLR with HID all have automatic headlight self levelling which requires sensors under the car to detect changes in body angle due to heavy loads.
Other cars (like mine) have a manual levelling system.

Its a grey area as to whether an automatic system is essential for the MOT but whatever system you have it must be working.

I have a HID upgrade in my projector lights (which had halogen originally) and it has passed MOTs several times without comment about the lights. Jules

Post #426537 4th Nov 2022 9:52 pm
jules

Personally in your case I would try brighter bulbs first.

FWIW
The reason I upgraded was that towards the end of FL2 production things were being consolidated. So my car got the same light unit as the more expensive Metropolis but they installed a halogen bulb to separate the models. It was a bad decision as the light output was worse than in my previous FL2's reflector light and the bulbs overheated so shortening their life. JLR's fix was to add a ballast wire to reduce current to the bulb - but this made them even dimmer. Putting in high power halogens didnt work as they got too hot and blew frequently. Having only one bulb per light unit meant that you lost all descent light on one side when it blew.
I eventually went HID upgrade and have never looked back.

The only reason I didnt buy a Metropolis was that it had things I didnt need or want eg sunroof. But If Id known about the light issue Id have bought a Metropolis. Jules

Post #426538 4th Nov 2022 10:04 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

jules wrote:
Its a grey area as to whether an automatic system is essential for the MOT but whatever system you have it must be working.

From the testers manual:
"Vehicles with high intensity discharge (HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with a suspension or headlamp self-levelling system. If these systems have been fitted, they must work". Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #426546 5th Nov 2022 1:01 pm
Lakelander

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Orkney Grey

jules wrote:
Personally in your case I would try brighter bulbs first.

FWIW
The reason I upgraded was that towards the end of FL2 production things were being consolidated. So my car got the same light unit as the more expensive Metropolis but they installed a halogen bulb to separate the models. It was a bad decision as the light output was worse than in my previous FL2's reflector light and the bulbs overheated so shortening their life. JLR's fix was to add a ballast wire to reduce current to the bulb - but this made them even dimmer. Putting in high power halogens didnt work as they got too hot and blew frequently. Having only one bulb per light unit meant that you lost all descent light on one side when it blew.
I eventually went HID upgrade and have never looked back.

The only reason I didnt buy a Metropolis was that it had things I didnt need or want eg sunroof. But If Id known about the light issue Id have bought a Metropolis.

According to an acquaintance of mine who worked at JLR at the time, the final facelift in 2013 was done to try and keep the aging FL2 competitive with new competition. The plan was for all variants to have HID headlights as this was becoming the norm in the premium compact SUV segment. The headlight unit was redesigned internally with a projector unit using a one bulb shutter system as space was at a premium as daylight running lights had also to be incorporated within the confines of the original headlight dimensions. The one bulb shutter system is not a great design for light output and runs hot but with a robust HID bulb it's performance and reliability are acceptable .
However JLR bean counters didn't like the extra cost as it also involved the fitting of a self levelling device to meet construction regulations.
The decision was made to only fit HID to HSE Lux versions. The rest got a inferior HB3 halogen bulb which gives poor output and is prone to bulb failure due to excessive heat. I understand that HID was not even an option except on the Dynamic Lux package. It did then become standard fit in the run out Metropolis . Like you I would never had bought my XS if I had known this. My test drive was as is usual in daylight.
At the time I thought the HID Stealth upgrade was illegal so eventually found a pair from a Metropolis , they weren't cheap, but they transformed night driving. FL2 SD4 XS 2013 Orkney Grey

Post #426549 5th Nov 2022 4:28 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
moestr7v8

England 

Thanks again everyone for all the info on the lights,by the way Jules I have ordered the Ring Xenon 200 bulbs and I will look for a pair of projector s/h units for the hid bulbs that we have taken out of the headlightd so that the car passed the mot.
Cheers
Moe

Post #426553 5th Nov 2022 5:40 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>