« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Car tyre particle pollution worse than exhaust
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Here's another crazy thing.
My brother in law can drive his Grand Cherokee SRT into the centre of Birmingham free of charge because its 500BHP + 6.4L Hemi V8 is Euro 6. It does 14 MPG at a steady 65mph and around town far less.
But my FL2 with DPF which does around 40mpg at 65mph cannot get into Brum for free. Jules

Post #422019 5th Jun 2022 11:03 am
AT1963

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Just read the article.
The impact of tyre can be somewhat negated by regulation of tyres which would mean probably more expensive tyres which are shown to have better tyre wear.
Also it made me chuckle when they suggested tyre wear would be better if people drove more sedately Rolling with laughter
However EVs are worse due to immediate torque to the wheels. For all those who have been conned that EVs are the solution to vehicle pollution i can understand your frustration (more pollution to make, more expensive to buy, more pollution from tyre wear and now getting more expensive to charge) Shocked Shocked Shocked

Post #422020 5th Jun 2022 11:25 am
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

jules wrote:
Boxbrownie wrote:
Unfortunately the article is boll0cks as all they did was load a Mercedes saloon up with 500kg of ballast to do the test.

They didn’t even get near an EV, all it did was prove that heavier vehicles wear their tyres faster….who knew? Rolling with laughter

But it does highlight the unseen significant pollution from tyre wear.

It does indeed, but it’s an article which primarily just tests tyre wear, not a comparison between ICE and EV which a lot,of people want to make it out to be. Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #422021 5th Jun 2022 11:40 am
NoDo$h

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

AT1963 wrote:
Just read the article.
The impact of tyre can be somewhat negated by regulation of tyres which would mean probably more expensive tyres which are shown to have better tyre wear.
Also it made me chuckle when they suggested tyre wear would be better if people drove more sedately Rolling with laughter
However EVs are worse due to immediate torque to the wheels. For all those who have been conned that EVs are the solution to vehicle pollution i can understand your frustration (more pollution to make, more expensive to buy, more pollution from tyre wear and now getting more expensive to charge) Shocked Shocked Shocked

Oh no! If only the torque could be controlled effectively.

Whistle

Well blow me if that's not exactly what you get with an EV. Torque controlled at a level you could only dream of with a traditional ICE drivetrain. Current driveway contents:
2021 V60 Cross Country B5
2009 FL2 dog bus and shooting wagon

On Order: 2023 Fisker Ocean Ultra - deposit paid.

Post #422023 5th Jun 2022 1:31 pm
RealBeale

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

jules wrote:
Here's another crazy thing.
My brother in law can drive his Grand Cherokee SRT into the centre of Birmingham free of charge because its 500BHP + 6.4L Hemi V8 is Euro 6. It does 14 MPG at a steady 65mph and around town far less.
But my FL2 with DPF which does around 40mpg at 65mph cannot get into Brum for free.

It's utter madness. I can drive my Freelander i6 in to Brum no problem. But my brother dropped off his daughter and grandchild at the Children's Hospital in his Sd4 and was fined.

Now, here's the really maddening part. I pay £600 a year in road tax as I'm considered to be highly polluting ! Makes absolutely NO sense at all.

Post #422025 5th Jun 2022 1:52 pm
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Censored lower emission zones! There’s been a ring around London for a while now, to within a mile or so of my front door, and apart from dropping a neighbour to the hospital for an urgent chemo procedure, I’ve avoided paying Mayor Khan his £12.50. Now he’s talking of extending said zone to include all London boroughs. Nightmare.
And like you I have neighbours who drive filthy smoke emitting petrol piles of Censored who aren’t subject to the charge.

Post #422026 5th Jun 2022 2:09 pm
jules

Boxbrownie wrote:
jules wrote:
Boxbrownie wrote:
Unfortunately the article is boll0cks as all they did was load a Mercedes saloon up with 500kg of ballast to do the test.

They didn’t even get near an EV, all it did was prove that heavier vehicles wear their tyres faster….who knew? Rolling with laughter

But it does highlight the unseen significant pollution from tyre wear.

It does indeed, but it’s an article which primarily just tests tyre wear, not a comparison between ICE and EV which a lot,of people want to make it out to be.

Yes its been extrapolated to the EV vs ICE arguments instead of a "we need low polluting tyres now" demand. Until I looked into it, triggered by this headline, I didnt realise just how toxic tyre runoff is to life in general. Jules

Post #422033 5th Jun 2022 6:01 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

Boxbrownie wrote:

One of the EV channel journalists has done his homework, and said it's boll0cks. Thumbs Up
 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ionic 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #422492 18th Jun 2022 6:03 pm
AT1963

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Sooo...why is there not the witch hunt there is for exhaust emissions??
Makes one think of the x-files, "the truth is out there".

Post #422516 19th Jun 2022 7:29 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

I think most of these surveys, etc, are just looking for what public reaction results.

All part of the process of finding the next stealth tax to replace the predicted falling fossil fuels taxes.

I have noticed that public car parking is becoming more and more expensive and free parking (even for disabled badges) is becoming increasingly rare. This is as most councils are trying to make up for the cuts from central government funding.

It doesn't look as if Tyre Wear Tax will be popular? FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #422535 20th Jun 2022 11:26 am
jules

They've been talking of taxing vehicles by mileage for years. But its difficult to do fairly, as if tax is ever fair. Jules

Post #422537 20th Jun 2022 1:32 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

In Victoria Australia from 1 July 2021 2.5 cents per km for EVs, 2.0 cents per km for PHEVs.

https://www.drive.com.au/news/victoria-pas...ry-reacts/

So tax on petrol goes to the federal government. A fee (in other words a tax) on EV milage goes to the state government & the GST portion goes to the federal government which is returned to the state governments in a very complex proportional formula, in layman's terms known as the brown paper bag! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #422538 20th Jun 2022 2:45 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

So in Australia do you not have "mileage correction software"? - I only do 1,000kms a year officer.

Very common in the UK. More fun now as the mileage is stored in several ECUs - but who cares, it's only the one that communicates with the dash that owners see.

My son bought an Audi A3 manufactured 2010 which subsequently had a new engine under warranty, the dealership reset the odometer to zero so that it reflected the service interval for the engine.

My first Freelander 1 had over 130,000 miles on the clock when i sold her, but a subsequent owner rang to ask had the car done more than the indicated 30,000 miles as the interior showed signs of wear - and the gearbox had just failed. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #422540 20th Jun 2022 3:45 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12