Home > Technical > Question for Xtrons users
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Prisoner359

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Tonga Green
Question for Xtrons users

Hi everyone,

Just in the process of fitting an Xtrons unit and wondered if others that have done so use the Xtrons bluetooth for phone calls or stick with the LR system? I'm an iPhone user.

I read another post where someone had the Xtrons fitted but no mic connected and continued to use the LR system: -

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic37680.html

Torn between using the Original LR Phone System (where I can use the steering controls) and using the CarPlay. To use CarPlay, have to fit the Xtrons mic for that and I'd really like that to be hidden and not sure if it'll fit where the current LR one is.

Any hints and tips most welcome. TIA Thumbs Up

Jason Discovery 4 HSE - Aintree Green
Freelander 2 TD4 SE Automatic - Tonga Green
Defender XS - Tonga Green - Gone Now
Freelander 1 Td4 ES Manual - Epsom Green - Gone Now *
Freelander 1 Td4 Kalahari SE - Epsom Green - Gone Now
Freelander 1 XEi - Epsom Green - Gone Now

www.greenlandrover.uk

Post #421391 19th May 2022 12:12 pm
Simon J

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Rimini Red

Jason,
As you will have seen in the thread you linked to, I’ve been wrestling with the same problem, i.e. lack of microphone when using an iPhone connected via CarPlay. I have actually bought an external microphone but haven’t yet tried it. My thinking was that if it worked it would be easy enough to run the microphone wire under the dash and up behind the trim panel on the A post, then tuck it under the headlining and, finally, position it close to the mirror. It’s a shame that in inbuilt mic doesn’t work although strangely enough it did work for a short while when I first installed the unit, but gave up soon after.

Your query has prompted me to plug in the mic and see if it works. I shall report back!

Post #421395 19th May 2022 3:07 pm
Simon J

We’ll, I can confirm that fitting an external mic solves the problem. I can make calls, and apparently come across clearly to the other party, and can use Siri. I’ve tried Siri with phone calls, texts and Maps navigation and all works perfectly. Now all I have to do is route the mic cable up to behind the mirror.

Edit: I’ll try leaving the mic sitting where the small speaker would be on the top of the dash and see if it works there. Much less hassle!

Edit 2: The mic works fine just sitting under the speaker grill

Just to be clear, when using CarPlay, phone calls are handled by it, not by a Bluetooth phone connection to the Xtrons. When using CarPlay there is no Bluetooth connection to the Xtrons other than during the initial start up of wireless CarPlay when Bluetooth is briefly used to make the WiFi connection between the iPhone and the Xtrons.

Post #421397 19th May 2022 4:15 pm
Prisoner359

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Tonga Green

Hi Simon.

Thanks for your responses Thumbs Up

I have a speaker in the centre (i've finally got around to upgrading the stereo to hi line Dolby surround thingy) so mic probably won't work there for me.

I'm wondering if the Xtrons mic (my unit came with one) will fit in the roof console/panel where the LR system mic is?

When I get around to, I'll report back. Tried to take off the rear tailgate handle today to fit the reversing camera and the the bolts at either end broke free of their mountings. The plastic has gone really brittle and it's basically had it. Have ordered a new handle and need to do a bit of bodywork where the gasket has perished and the handle has rubbed the paintwork.

Suppose it's to be expected on a 15 year old vehicle. Had the same problem on my Freelander 1 except that actually came off in my hand because the door panel had rotted! Discovery 4 HSE - Aintree Green
Freelander 2 TD4 SE Automatic - Tonga Green
Defender XS - Tonga Green - Gone Now
Freelander 1 Td4 ES Manual - Epsom Green - Gone Now *
Freelander 1 Td4 Kalahari SE - Epsom Green - Gone Now
Freelander 1 XEi - Epsom Green - Gone Now

www.greenlandrover.uk

Post #421430 20th May 2022 8:28 pm
Simon J

Interesting that your unit came with a separate external mic.

Had I found it necessary to mount the mic up by the mirror I think I’d just have stuck it (it came with a neat little bracket with a sticky pad) on the top edge of the screen by the mirror. It would be pretty unobtrusive there and replacing the LR mic would mean you’d completely lose the LR Bluetooth phone capability

I think my next project will be a reversing camera but I’m minded just to get one that replaces one of the number plate lights. It seems an easier install than the handle one.

Post #421432 20th May 2022 9:08 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1