« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Turbo oil supply banjo filter
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
gasman

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver
Turbo oil supply banjo filter

Just looking for some technical opinions.
I am going to replace the turbo in the next few days. I have all the necessary parts including the cars original turbo which I have had refurbished by 'Midland Turbos'
I am not sure if I should replace the oil supply filter, by that I mean leave it out altogether.
The original turbo was replaced not long after I purchased the car, due to bearing failure, oil starvation.
I have a new filter to put in but it looks far too fine and would probably clog easily.
I know that some mechanics say that leaving it out is a better option. Thought being, a bit of dirty oil is more favourable than no oil and if the oil is changed on a regular basis with new engine filter there should be no issue.
I can see the logic but still unsure.
Manual insists you replace the filter but let's not forget, it also states that the oil in the Haldex never needs changing and look at the issues that can cause. Now at the point when I learn something new something old is lost out the other side !
Now retired so it doesn't matter anymore.
Freelander now gone.

Post #421115 10th May 2022 8:47 pm
gasman

No one got an opinion then. Rolling Eyes Now at the point when I learn something new something old is lost out the other side !
Freelander now gone.

Post #421125 11th May 2022 8:54 am
Badger51

Australia 

What do ‘Midland Turbos’ recommend as far as their warranty goes? I can’t see them honouring it if you don’t fit the filter, to be perfectly honest. (Now Sold). 2008 Freelander 2 (Nazca Sand) SE TD4 Auto. Statutory write off & on WOVR for hail damage but still road legal.
171037Km as of 09/05/22
Superchips Bluefin Flash
Nanocom Evo II (also sold)

Post #421126 11th May 2022 9:07 am
dondiddy

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Firenze Red

The filter is there for a reason. The turbo must have a feed of CLEAN oil to avoid bearing failure as it can spin upwards of 150,000rpm.The fact that the filter is very fine just goes to show how damaging a tiny spec of dirt can be. It is possible that a clogged filter was the cause of the earlier turbo failure as although it might be a service item chances are it would never have been cleaned or replaced in it`s lifetime. Why have you had to change the turbo for a 2nd time? Leaving the filter out will invalidate any warrantee you have with the turbo also. Not having a filter in the system could also cause issues with the pressure of the oil getting to the turbo. It could result in more oil but at a lower pressure which if there was too much oil it could cause issues with oil getting past the seals and the turbo becoming smoky as the engine burns oil. Just my thoughts but if you are unsure then the best advice I would say would be to ask the turbo company what they think as they must have lots of experience on what makes a turbo fail and what`s best to get a long turbo lifespan. Properly looked after a turbo should last as long as an engine without ever needing changed! Good luck! Thumbs Up

Post #421127 11th May 2022 9:19 am
gasman

Thanks for the replies.
Midland Turbo's say follow the manufacturer (JLR) fitting instructions.
I was going to fit the new filter, tiny thing £22, but wanted to know if anyone had different experience. As I said, some mechanics leave it out.

Reason I am changing is VGT system constantly sticking. I've tried cleaning it in situ but this doesn't last. I did intend to remove it, strip and clean it but knowing me I would probably make pigs ear of it.
As I had the other one lying around, thought the best option was to have it refurbished and fit that. I can always pull the other one apart when I have time.
The underlying problem is my driving. I very rarely drive hard therefore carbon is allowed to build up.
I will have to remedy this once the job is done.
Thanks for the input though, it's always good to know what others think. Thumbs Up Now at the point when I learn something new something old is lost out the other side !
Freelander now gone.

Post #421139 11th May 2022 12:46 pm
gasman

Update.
Have just removed the existing turbo (I'll do a how to and photos later) and there is no filter in the oil feed.
Don't know why I didn't look before, but I have just checked 'Topix' and there is no mention of a filter and nothing shown in the diagram
I was originally going off the parts diagram on the 'Advanced Factors' web site. This must be incorrect as I also used this to order a replacement banjo bolt and washers using the indicated part numbers. These parts are ten times the size of the original. Don't know what LR they are off but it's not a Freelander 2.
So unless someone can correct me there will not be a filter going in at the turbo when I fit the new one. Thumbs Up Now at the point when I learn something new something old is lost out the other side !
Freelander now gone.

Post #421365 18th May 2022 2:11 pm
I Like Chips

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

When you first mentioned a filter on the turbo oil feed I thought that's interesting since I had never heard of one being fitted. Now I know why.

Post #421375 18th May 2022 7:51 pm
gasman

Only reason I mentioned it in the first place was the parts diagram from Advance Factors shows one with a part number. Rubbish looking filter but I thought I needed one, £22 wasted. Whistle Now at the point when I learn something new something old is lost out the other side !
Freelander now gone.

Post #421377 18th May 2022 8:17 pm
I Like Chips

Its shown on the LR site too

https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.com/l...-feed.html

Post #421382 19th May 2022 6:34 am
Badger51

Australia 

There is definitely something odd going on re this filter. If you google the p/no. & look at the images, it is nothing like I would expect a banjo bolt filter to look! (Now Sold). 2008 Freelander 2 (Nazca Sand) SE TD4 Auto. Statutory write off & on WOVR for hail damage but still road legal.
171037Km as of 09/05/22
Superchips Bluefin Flash
Nanocom Evo II (also sold)

Post #421383 19th May 2022 7:34 am
gasman

What a dummy.
I've just realised I have been looking at the wrong part of the diagram. I thought the filter would be at the turbo end. Looks like there is another banjo bolt at the other end of the pipe. I'll have to get back under the car and check.

This is what can happen when you need glasses but think you can manage without Whistle

I won't have time to look today but will check tomorrow. In any event, the filter that has been supplied, looks nothing like the diagram. Now at the point when I learn something new something old is lost out the other side !
Freelander now gone.

Post #421386 19th May 2022 9:09 am
I Like Chips

I wonder if the petrol engine version Turbo is different from the Diesel.

Off topic but I see on some diagrams there is a drain plug for the PTU mine doesn't have one, so are there different PTU's

Post #421387 19th May 2022 9:54 am
shiggsy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

When I first got I my FL2 I looked into replacing this filter but came to the conclusion that the FL1 had one but the FL2 didn't. So I was also surprised when you mentioned you were going to replace it. Be interesting to know if it does actually have one. 
Hung like Einstein, smart as a horse.

Post #421392 19th May 2022 12:55 pm
gasman

I'll take the oil supply pipe out tomorrow and we'll all know then. Unfortunately very busy today with family matters. Thumbs Up Now at the point when I learn something new something old is lost out the other side !
Freelander now gone.

Post #421393 19th May 2022 1:31 pm
gasman

The oil supply pipe is attached to the engine block by a larger banjo bolt with a 17mm head. Inside the bolt is filter, long and very fine. It could be cleaned with brake cleaner and reused but I already have a new one.

Old and new parts.

I'll show all of this in sequence when I am done and all put together Thumbs Up Now at the point when I learn something new something old is lost out the other side !
Freelander now gone.

Post #421412 20th May 2022 1:19 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>