« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > 2007 auto power and breakdown issues
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
PaulDD

United Kingdom 
2007 auto power and breakdown issues

I have a 2007 Freelander 2 Auto TD4 - I have owned it less than a year and it now has almost 106k miles on the clock. Its my first diesel and first Landrover.

While towing our 2 birth caravan up a fairly steep hill around September last year the engine management light came on and the car lost power. The AA reset the car and it got us home with no problem.
In February this year driving around 20-30mph on the flat it lost power very very briefly again, so briefly I would not have thought about it except that a week later it stalled as I was approaching junction. Yes its Auto I didn't think they stalled.

At the end of April this year I had a repeat of the engine management light coming on while towing the caravan up hill at around 50 mph. This time Green Flag repeated what the AA did and all was fine.

Today again up a small hill (no caravan) and very very close to home the car lost all power and sounded like it was going to stall. I hit the throttle which did nothing at all. I had to turn the car off and on again to no avail. As I was close to home I decided to turn the car around and limp it home which would have been all down hill. Suddenly the car righted itself and ran as normal for a brief trip around the village as a test.

Anyone any Ideas what the issuse my be? Somthing Small? or Expensive? or Terminal?

TIA

PaulDD Paul David Drabble Photography
www.instagram.com/pauldaviddrabble
www.facebook.com/pauldaviddrabblephotography

Post #420950 5th May 2022 5:21 pm
Rommel

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Fuji White

When was the last time the fuel filter was changed? Crankshaft sensor? Throttle body? 2013 FL2 XS.
Defender 90 300 TDi.
Defender 90 300 TDi CSW.
1964 MGB Roadster.
1944 Willys MB "Jeep" with bullet holes. (gone)
17 hand Irish Drought Thoroughbred (mostly lame)
Nagging Old Boiler.

Post #420951 5th May 2022 5:33 pm
PaulDD

United Kingdom 

TBH I don't know when the fuel filter was last changed. I assumed the seller serviced it before putting it on the forecourt but the dashboard says its a little over 2k miles past its service schedule I have done around 7k miles. In almost a year.
I did wonder about the crankshaft poition sensor.

What might the problem be with the throttle body please? Paul David Drabble Photography
www.instagram.com/pauldaviddrabble
www.facebook.com/pauldaviddrabblephotography

Post #420957 5th May 2022 8:56 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

The throttle body is a butterfly valve in the air intake.
When you turn off the engine the butterfly closes to shut off the air and the engine then stops without the old fashioned run-on.
When you start the car the butterfly opens fully to let in as much air as the car can take.

The butterfly has a plastic gear that strips, so it can fail in almost any position - if fully open you would never know, if fully closed the car might catch but refuse to run. Partially open and the engine is strangled but runs.
To make matters worse it can fail /not fail / fail again. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #420959 5th May 2022 9:57 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1