Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Side lamp not lighting - horn also not hooting.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Speedbird1

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 Dynamic Auto Lago Grey
Side lamp not lighting - horn also not hooting.

Hi Everyone,

I have a series 1 Freelander 2, 2007 model. Recently the side lamps were playing up a bit. Sounds like a simple fix, right? It is driving me crazy. First the right side side lamp was occasionally not lighting but the left one was. Lived with it for a while figuring it’s a bulb issue. After a few days it started lighting up again and said to myself that LEDs go wonky with time. In the meantime the xenon headlamp reached the end of its lifetime, so I hopped to the local electrician to change them both. The electrician offered me a headlamp LED upgrade which I accepted. A few days later I noticed that the left side lamp was not lighting whereas the right side one was. Went again to the electrician, stuck a new bulb and it just won’t light. Stuck in a regular filament bulb, nothing. Took the headlamp apart, cleaned the connections in the bulb holder, nothing. I tried the lights from the remote, left side lamp not lighting (the rest are). Recently I noticed that the horn stopped working too, tried all fuses and relays but they’re all fine. I don’t know if they are related, maybe it’s far fetched since one is from the light switch whereas the other is in the steering column, but it’s like the electric pixies are at work on a Land Rover one more time. For information, wiring is the original harness, no modifications. Headlamp unit still original, bulbs are all LEDs. Thank you.

Post #417756 28th Jan 2022 1:57 pm
andyk159

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Some led bulbs can cause issues, and cause the BCM that controls all this to get messed up.

See here https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic37076.html?highlight=bcm

I would suggest changing all bulbs back to ordinary filament ones and resetting car electrics by disconnecting battery for 10 minutes, then shorting out battery leads before reconnecting battery. Andy
Freelander2 HSE (59 Plate, MY10 spec)

Post #417761 28th Jan 2022 2:42 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Resetting lamp controller

FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #417775 28th Jan 2022 5:40 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

IMO swapping factory Xenon lights for LED is a serious backwards step, as the LED doesn't have such a good beam control, and is nowhere near as bright, so your lights will be much worse, and won't last as long.

I would guess your mechanic has kept the Xenon to sell on, as they're very sought after, so command high prices on the second hand market.

Definitely a dumb thing to do. Big Cry

Also the Freelander 2 wasn't designed to power LEDs, so doesn't actually like them, sometimes not giving an issue, other times needing load resistors to "fool" the BCM into seeing a normal bulb, instead of LEDs. This of course simply burns up electric in the resistors, without them making any contribution to light output, so actually you're better off keeping with normal bulbs, and replace them when they fail. Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate. The replacement for the SE.
2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Up for sale.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #417781 28th Jan 2022 8:02 pm
Speedbird1

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 Dynamic Auto Lago Grey

Hi everyone,

Sorry for replying late. Thank you so much for your replies. Stuck in normal xenon lights and everything worked fine. Turns out CANBUS is not liked that much by the BCM.

Post #419849 25th Mar 2022 10:10 am
PRadd

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Dynamic Manual Santorini Black

I'd agree with Nodge - changing from factory Xenon to LEDs is a downgrade not an upgrade - I would not be going back to an "auto electrician" that recommended this 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Manual Dynamic
1956/7 88" Series One Land Rover
1956/7 88" Series One Land Rover - undergoing restoration

Post #419856 25th Mar 2022 10:37 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1