Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Wanting a new car? PCH vs PCP vs HP
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Simon J

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Rimini Red

Indeed the additional car - we just find that we need two cars - doesn’t have to be new and as much as anything I was wondering what peoples' experiences were of the three finance options in question. But I suppose that as we’re all enthusiasts for a car that’s been out of production for eight (?) years most of us won’t have had occasion to use any of these finance options. At the end of the day it costs a certain amount of money to have even a two or three year old car outside the door and the question for me is how much per month am I willing to spend, how, and for how long.

Thanks for all the comments.

Post #418852 22nd Feb 2022 8:25 pm
janderson41

Scotland 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Now being 80 which means i come from an age where we all purchased items to keep. Whither cars or TV , washing machines etc.
Have discussed PCP/HP/Lease with some of my friends i have found this article extremely interesting.
One conclusion we came to was that PCP was a modern idea which young people(under 40?) use.
Part of today's throwaway society. Treat a car like a washing machine.
Which also means they do not take care of said object.
Although, again at 80 the thought of a brand new car over 3 years and possibly the next three years has something going for it.
Just have to keep going in 3 year lumps.
Thank you for a very interesting and explanatory article which i am sure has explained a lot to us all.
I will stick to my FL2 and grit my teeth at the bills.
Thank you. Jim A
Fl2 HSE 2010 auto
Disco 2Td5 auto 2002 gone
Disci 1 300Tdi auto 1996 gone

Post #418896 23rd Feb 2022 6:40 pm
Simon J

Thanks, Jim, although as I recall we used to rent our TVs about fifty years ago, didn’t we? And got up out of our seat to change the channel (once we had more than one channel to choose from!) and the volume! Happy days? Not so much.

But there’s no doubt that when you’re contemplating what might be your last car, making it a good 'un (and thus probably a pricey one) seems important, to me at least. No matter what way you fund it, you’re basically acquiring, and not necessarily owning, a depreciating asset. How best to do that will vary from person to person, depending on their circumstances. But I think it’s wrong to suggest that young(er) people treat PCPs as throwaways - the finance company will chase you for every extra mile and every scratch - so they need to be extra careful. Both PCPs and leases are a way to have a nicer/newer car sitting in front of your front door for a monthly cost that is less than funding the full price over the same period. A nearly new car could perhaps be bought for the same monthly outgoings but it depends on what you want/need.

First world problems, eh? I’m sure the folks in eastern Ukraine would happily swap their worries for ours.

Post #418901 23rd Feb 2022 7:51 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

I've 2 thoughts on the original questions.
A: Why spend £38k on a new car, when you're only planning on driving for 6 years.
B: Why spent £38k on vehicle that the manufacturer only offers a 3 year warranty, when you can by a different but equivalent vehicle from a manufacturer that offers a 6 or 7 year warranty.
Going this route would allow you to take a PCP, plus finance for the balloon payment, knowing that the vehicle is in warranty the whole time you have it. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #418952 24th Feb 2022 5:34 pm
Simon J

I never said I was only planning on driving for six years - I was simply looking ahead no further than six for the purposes of the exercise.

Your point about warranty is absolutely valid although not all manufacturers offer such long warranties. But it’s certainly something to factor in - thank you for pointing that out.

Post #418953 24th Feb 2022 6:02 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Well I have just decided to keep my 14 reg 63k mile XS for another year and have booked it in for a service and MOT. I will also be pay for another year of LR extended warranty. I don't normally keep cars this long but I have spent the last couple of weeks thinking that I really ought to move it on and have looked at petrol DS or Volvo XC40 etc but can't get inspired to get rid of what is actually a very nice comfortable car that does everything I need. I also only did 6k miles last year and I keep having that feeling that the next car should be electric but not yet. I guess I am not alone with this dilemma.

Incidentally WBAC keep emailing me with valuations of around £12.5k 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #418954 24th Feb 2022 6:13 pm
Simon J

Out of curiosity, may I ask how much the extended warranty costs?

Post #418955 24th Feb 2022 6:17 pm
dorsetfreelander

You can get cheaper warranties and this includes LR Assistance which is quite good as a guy comes with all the diagnostics and tries to sort out the problem on your drive or wherever you are and if not then they arrange hire cars and book it into the dealer for you.

3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Last edited by dorsetfreelander on 24th Feb 2022 6:34 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #418956 24th Feb 2022 6:29 pm
Simon J

Interesting! Thank you.

Post #418957 24th Feb 2022 6:31 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Presumably the extended warranty is subject to all servicing being carried out by landrover main dealer? Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #418959 24th Feb 2022 7:23 pm
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

dorsetfreelander wrote:
Well I have just decided to keep my 14 reg 63k mile XS for another year and have booked it in for a service and MOT. I will also be pay for another year of LR extended warranty. I don't normally keep cars this long but I have spent the last couple of weeks thinking that I really ought to move it on and have looked at petrol DS or Volvo XC40 etc but can't get inspired to get rid of what is actually a very nice comfortable car that does everything I need. I also only did 6k miles last year and I keep having that feeling that the next car should be electric but not yet. I guess I am not alone with this dilemma.

Incidentally WBAC keep emailing me with valuations of around £12.5k

Similar to you - decided to get cambelt changed, haldex serviced and keep for at least another year. Annual mileage less than 6,000 so fuel costs not a great deal. MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #418962 24th Feb 2022 8:26 pm
Jack frost

United Kingdom 

dorsetfreelander wrote:

Incidentally WBAC keep emailing me with valuations of around £12.5k

I would not hesitate to keep it 63,000 miles is absolutely nothing especially as you have serviced the car regularly & you know all the cars history.

Post #418969 24th Feb 2022 10:16 pm
dorsetfreelander

Bobupndown wrote:
Presumably the extended warranty is subject to all servicing being carried out by landrover main dealer?

Not technically but it's easier to get things sorted if there is no argument about that aspect. I have just been quoted £493 for a B service and MOT under the 3+ scheme and the LR warranty covers any MOT failure. I had the cambelt done last year. I know I could get all this cheaper but elsewhere but I take the view that for about £1500/year I get peace of mind and it's cheaper than buying a replacement. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #418976 25th Feb 2022 10:55 am
Nbuuifx

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

I'm guessing that you have a car in mind given the costs? One thing you don't mention is the mileage as that can affect if leading is the best option or not.

I want too fussed on what the car was and was quite price driven for my current car. It is an Electric Ioniq. At the time the OTR price was approx £34k.

I pay £230 per month and had no deposit to pay. I'm signed up for a 3 year lease but it has an option to continue at the same monthly cost beyond the 3 years.

For me with the saving on fuel, it was much cheaper than anything else I could find new.

I've just had a conversation with someone regarding leases Vs PCP. They went with PCP as they reckon second hand prices will increase on EVs so they think their car will be worth more than the balloon payment so they can trade it in at that point to get a discount on the next. I can see the logic but the monthly costs seem to be a lot higher than my lease.

Post #419097 28th Feb 2022 12:10 am
AT1963

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Vehicles are not the only way to make an environmental statement.
Interesting to know what other ways people are committing to?

Post #419105 28th Feb 2022 5:50 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12