Home > Technical > 3 wheel drive
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Keeperofthekeys

Ireland 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Rimini Red
3 wheel drive

Hello everyone.
I'm hoping someone can help me and, confirm or dispel my worry that I have made a great big bloody booboo.
OK, Clicking from the drivers side on full lock (C.V) Joint no doubt about it.
When I go to gave a look the inner boot has split too fairly recently (Grease everywhere). So I decide to remove the shaft from the wheel hub to the fixed inner joint.
The longest part still in place in the gearbox and held by the retaining clamp.
Ergo --- 3Wheel drive. I wasn't actually going to use it like this as a new part has been dispatched and should be here tomorrow or Friday.
Unfortunately we had an emergency, and the wife needed to use it to collect our daughter in town about 7 miles away.
She stated all was OK. Until she came out of the shop and it would hardly pull away in 1st or 2nd but moved away in 3rd with just short of 2000rpm.
What have I done.
Any ideas. ?

Post #418025 3rd Feb 2022 2:54 am
Badger51

Australia 

Have you jacked it up yet & pulled the wheel off? I think it will become abundantly clear what the issue is when you do. The vehicle should never have been driven in that condition imho, emergency or not I’m afraid. I will say no more now because I risk turning into aggressive/grumpy old man mode…. (Now Sold). 2008 Freelander 2 (Nazca Sand) SE TD4 Auto. Statutory write off & on WOVR for hail damage but still road legal.
171037Km as of 09/05/22
Superchips Bluefin Flash
Nanocom Evo II (also sold)

Post #418026 3rd Feb 2022 5:34 am
Keeperofthekeys

No I havent first thing I will do this morning.
Work away Grumpy old man meet your brother.

Post #418027 3rd Feb 2022 6:15 am
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

As you removed the drive from a front wheel, then I'm surprised it actually moved at all. The Freelander 2 is front wheel drive vehicle, and only AWD when needed, i.e. the TR module detects front wheel slip, and applies drive to the rear via the Haldex coupling.
As there was no wheel slip (it couldn't because there wasn't a drive shaft), then in theory the vehicle shouldn't have moved. However LR in their wisdom configured the TR module to lock up the Haldex on pulling away, so to minimise traction losses under acceleration, and I suspect this is why it was able to move initially.
However the Haldex isn't designed to drive the vehicle, in fact it's torque limit prevents high torque from being transferred to the rear, or it's clutch pack will slip and wear.

I suspect that using the vehicle without drive to the front has damaged the Haldex, or at least caused some serious wear to its clutch pack.

As said above, it should never have been driven like this, a Taxi would have been a much better and much cheaper form of transport. Whistle Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate. The replacement for the SE.
2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Up for sale.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #418029 3rd Feb 2022 7:05 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red
Re: 3 wheel drive

Keeperofthekeys wrote:

What have I done.
Any ideas. ?

The FL2 is not like Defenders and Series Landrover where you could remove a propshaft or drive shaft and lock the centre diff and continue on your journey. Did it myself once on a Disco 1 when a universal joint failed suddenly. They were designed long before the days of electronic haldex clutch units.

I've never heard of anyone ever doing this to a FL2 before. You may have severely damaged the haldex - as it drove initially then didnt very well. The poor haldex was putting all the drive to the rear wheels.
However there was a chap on here who lost all front wheel drive, due to a failed PTU, and the car became rear wheel drive only. I dont recall him busting the haldex but I could be wrong on the account.
So put it back together and see what happens. Be prepared for the worst though. Jules

Post #418037 3rd Feb 2022 10:02 am
Keeperofthekeys

Thank you one and all.
Yes it looks like I fecked up big time. I won't use it now until the new shaft arrives and then I will know as said.
A Costly mistake.

Post #418043 3rd Feb 2022 11:40 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1