« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Judder when turning
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Chris H

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey
Judder when turning

I have had a bit of a problem tday with my FL2 when turning at slow speeds. At mini roundabouts as I am turning with a reasonable amount of steering lock (not full), the car suddenly seems to 'judder' almost as though the car had moved sideways. First of all I thought I was just going to quickly in the wet, but it has done it a couple of times in the dry as well.

At speed the car sems to be driving ok and not appearing to pull to either side, or making any unusual noises.

Any suggestions?

Post #42441 28th May 2009 1:39 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Sounds as though differentials might not be allowing wheels the freedom to turn at different speeds. Does it get worse as lock increases, what is it like at full lock? Could you have activated a terrain response program by accident - I've experienced something similar using 'Sand' setting on dry roads (don't ask!). Can you try it on loose surface, you would notice the slippage even more. Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!
Company cars ... a thing of the past - May 2013.

Last edited by avtur on 28th May 2009 1:51 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #42443 28th May 2009 1:49 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

it could be something to do with the tracking, or possibley a problem with the diff lock or just the power sterring pump failing due to been clogged up.

My old car had a fully locking rear diff at the push of a button, and due to the wheels wanting to rotate at different speeds whilst turning i some times got what i think your describing Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #42444 28th May 2009 1:50 pm
Chris H

I checked the terrain response and it is in normal mode.

You'll have to excuse some of my ignorance, this is the first 4wd drive car I've owned, and I've only had it about 5 weeks.

If it was a differential problem would it constantly judder, as this is just once on a corner and not every time I go at slow speed. For instance pulling into the work car park this morning it did it, but not at lunchtime. It almost feels like the tyre has slipped on the road surface.

Post #42447 28th May 2009 2:09 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

a diff (or defferencial) works by locking the wheels to rotate at the same speed.

So once locked, the inner wheel is wanting to rotate as much as the outer wheel in a corner, the outer wheel has more distance to travel due to the larger radius than the inner wheel, so the inners wheel slips on the road surface trying to rotate the same distance and the outer wheel in the corner

this can work in normal mode as well and any TR setting, i believe the cars computer locks the diff up in a fraction of a sec if it thinks its needed

I haven't heard any signs of this on my car on any surface of road/gravel/mud/grass or snow

I would speak to your dealer and have them check it out it sounds like a faulty sensor or software update is required. Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #42449 28th May 2009 2:19 pm
Chris H

Many thanks, I can now see why it would happen.

I spoken to both the local(ish) dealers and they can't look at it till next week, when I (and the car) will be in France, never mind, the week after will have to do. I'll let you know what happens.

Post #42451 28th May 2009 2:48 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

well to be safe if your taking the car, make sure you have Land Rover Assistance number for europe with you Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #42454 28th May 2009 3:27 pm
Chris H

I thought I would give you a bit of an update.

Just before I went away I went into the local dealer and they had drive, fortunately the problem occured with them in it and agreed it wasn't right. They had a look underneath and checked to see any fault codes and said all was well but suggested booking it in. Anyway, with going away and needing a courtesy car, it was going to have been yesterday at the earliest. Anyway, last week it got a lot worse and I decided enough was enough and called LR Assist.

I must say, very good service from LR Assist, apart from a recovery truck turning up before LR had phoned me back! The recovery driver was running late and wasn't entirely happy about me not wanting to give him the keys before I had checked with LR first

I have been waiting over the weekend and hopefully I might be picking it up later (given as it is already 4pm I'm not convinced). Anyway, the initial diognosis is a faulty steering angle sensor.

Not entirely sure how that ties in with the diff, but I guess it is something to do with if the steering sensor is faulty, I am turning the wheel, but the computer thinks I am going straight on. But the rear wheels are turning at different rates, so the computer is confused and locks the diff?

Any other suggestions would be greatfully recieved!

Post #43295 16th Jun 2009 4:14 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

makes a change for the LRA truck to turn up before they rang you back Laughing

the last three times they sent a text message saying 30 or 40 mins and they turned up a lot longer after that Rolling Eyes

Still better that than nothing at all Whistle Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #43297 16th Jun 2009 4:40 pm
Chris H

Finally picked my car up last night Very Happy Very Happy

They have replaced the front cone of the rear diff (whatever that is!)

All seems to be working ok.

Post #43732 23rd Jun 2009 10:29 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1