« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Going to 'that London'
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey
Going to 'that London'

Planning a caravan trip this summer to take in the delights of London, planning on staying here:

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/club-sites/e...club-site/

Anyone stayed here before?
I take it the congestion charge will apply any day I venture onto the road? Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #417653 26th Jan 2022 10:25 pm
TooBlue

United Kingdom 

Sooner you than me.

I don't like any Cities full stop.

Abbey Wood is far enough outside the smoke to be just bearable I guess.

Post #417654 26th Jan 2022 10:46 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

If your vehicle remains on-site, you'll only pay for the day you enter the zone and the day you leave. Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #417657 26th Jan 2022 11:16 pm
Farmer Chalk

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Dynamic Auto Firenze Red

You won’t pay the congestion charge but you will have to pay the ultra low emission zone charge..
Really depends what you want to do in reality… Abbey Wood site is a little oasis in a sea of surburbia but the public transport is excellent …in reality if you are visiting London you wouldn’t want to drive into town anyway… traffic is horrendous and parking your car is nigh on impossible.

However if you do go to Abbey Wood site then Greenwich is an awesome place to visit just a couple of stops on the railway.. from there you have the Uber river boat buses which are a super way to get into London..

Alternatively why not drop into Kent.. we have some great villages and some good campsites..this is a fantastic quiet site near Sevenoaks

https://www.campsites.co.uk/search/campsit...-club-site

The train from Sevenoaks is less than half hour into London and you can go anywhere from there…

Post #417662 27th Jan 2022 12:42 am
Bobupndown

Thanks, we plan a week at Abbey Wood to do the sightseeing thing again. Did it 11 years ago but stayed at Alderstead Heath in Richill, Surrey. Easy transport links a bonus, don't anticipate using the car much at all that week.
Heading to North Wales after that for another week. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

Post #417680 27th Jan 2022 10:20 am
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

That sites about 10mins up the road from me - believe it’s been there some years but no idea what it’s like. Happy to pop along if you want me to recce.
The site itself is outside of both the congestion charge (mainly affecting central London) and ULEZ, although this kicks in about 5 miles up the road so depending upon your route in and your plans for the day. That’s assuming you’re liable - stick your registration into the ULEZ checker.
Abbey Wood station is local which will provide a decent starting point for travelling into London and intermediate places such as Greenwich. Might check out Oyster cards for travel
Big Sainsbury’s near the station

** By way of a ps, as you’re going to have a van on the back you may just want to double check ULEZ LEZ etc as they might be affected by weight

Post #417689 27th Jan 2022 12:10 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

...check out Oyster....

I wouldn't bother if you have contactless debit cards, just use them instead. Same fare as Oyster but you don't have to pay a fiver for one or keep topping it up! Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #417690 27th Jan 2022 12:30 pm
lol geoff

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

I've been to that campsite on a breakdown when I worked for the RAC and it is indeed a little oasis in an over populated area, you wouldn't believe it was there. Abbeywood main line station is as said a few minutes walk away.

TFL travel cards are quite an economical way to get around too. Once you add in congestion charge and parking it's the way to travel on busses, tube, train and DLR, there is a cap set on oyster or using contactless so it pays to do a few sums first. Look on the TFL website to get the best deals.

Post #417743 27th Jan 2022 11:49 pm
Milothedog

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green

Bobupndown wrote:
Thanks, we plan a week at Abbey Wood to do the sightseeing thing again. Did it 11 years ago but stayed at Alderstead Heath in Richill, Surrey. Easy transport links a bonus, don't anticipate using the car much at all that week.
Heading to North Wales after that for another week.

If you are coming in via the M25 and not cutting across London you will be fine. if you use the North and South circular roads you will still be fine as long as you don't leave it and stray in to the ULEZ but if crossing the Thames at Dartford, you will need to pay the toll, you only get charged for car, not the van. Agree about using your touch debit/credit card for fares as well, so much easier. As said above, get the train to Greenwich, plenty to see there and whilst in the area take a return trip on the cable car for some great views of the river and London. From the cable car you can get the Uber boat in to the center of London, it takes about 35-40 minutes and lets you see parts of London you wouldn't if on land including going under Tower Bridge.

I hope you have a great time here and can only apologise for the restrictions we have in place, instigated by the Pratt of a Mayor we have who only got back in because he rigged the voting process to confuse people Rolling Eyes 2007 TD4 XS The work horse that earns its up keep
2013 SD4 HSE The posh one for towing the caravan
1973 Triumph Stag I bought in 2009 and restored.

Last edited by Milothedog on 30th Jan 2022 5:21 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #417867 30th Jan 2022 9:27 am
Bobupndown

Thanks, had a great time last time we were there. People are a bit sceptical when you say you are going to have a caravan holiday in London 😂. Busy week running about sightseeing then a relaxing week in Wales afterwards. Looking forward to it. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

Post #417870 30th Jan 2022 10:16 am
Milothedog

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green

You're welcome. Just another suggestion. if you are in central London, a short train ride from Waterloo, I think that's the correct station, will get you to Hampton Court. the Station is about 300 mtrs from the palace and the river. the palace is well worth a visit and there are some nice pubs and restaurants just across the road. Funny you mention Alderstead Heath. that's where we store our caravan. perfect for us as its only a 25 minute drive from us and from hitching up you can be on the M25 within 10 minutes. 2007 TD4 XS The work horse that earns its up keep
2013 SD4 HSE The posh one for towing the caravan
1973 Triumph Stag I bought in 2009 and restored.

Post #417898 30th Jan 2022 5:20 pm
Bobupndown

Looking on TFL website it's really not terribly clear. Looks like Freelander 2 (2014) is not subject to LEZ charges, only ULEZ or CC, is that correct?
Does that mean it's exempt from LEZ charges or that Abbey Wood just isn't in LEZ?

Really know how to welcome motorists to the capital! Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

Post #420135 6th Apr 2022 6:45 pm
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Safest bet is to enter your registration into the tfl.gov.uk site ‘check your vehicle’ and that’ll show if you’re vehicle is liable to Congestion charge, LEZ and ULEZ within the relevant zones. There’s an alternative postcode/address check on the tfl site - your campsite is outside ULEZ however you’ll likely be hit if travelling in from from the west. If you arrive from the east, Dartford Crossing perhaps, you’d be ok. The ULEZ boundary is about 3 miles west of the campsite
LEZ is generally aimed at heavy vehicles, over 3.5 tonnes I believe, but not sure if your van counts towards that weight

Post #420136 6th Apr 2022 7:18 pm
lol geoff

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Your vehicle is exempt from LEZ charges but not ULEZ and congestion charge zones.
Most straight forward route in from the west is M25 anticlockwise round towards Dartford Crossing, leave a junction 1a follow the A206 to Bostal Heath and the camp site isn't far from there. The reverse route to get you to the M4 or M40 and on to Wales

Post #420143 6th Apr 2022 9:53 pm
Bobupndown

Thanks folks 👍 Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

Post #420145 7th Apr 2022 7:41 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>