« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Removing Speed Control Inhibitor Switch
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
shiggsy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue
Removing Speed Control Inhibitor Switch

Ever started what should have been a simple task ?

I have started experiencing a non-cranking start which I believe might be down to the Speed Control Inhibitor Switch (blue connector in the image below) which is operated by the brake pedal. Has anyone taken one of these out ? You are supposed to be able to remove it by turning it clock wise but I can't shift it. It seems to only want to turn anti-clockwise which you can't do because the sensor body catches the neighbouring Stop Lamp Switch, so clockwise does seem to be the right direction.

Problem is I can barely get my hands on it.

Click image to enlarge

I was trying to give myself a bit more room by removing the underside fascia completely, but I also can't seem to free the airbag connector either (battery is disconnected). It looks like they have designed it so you have to push tabs at the side and then pull it up. Trouble is there isn't enough room to get you fingers in there, I have used a pair of angled pliers which is why it has a bit of a butchered look, but I still can't shift it and I am afraid fo shearing it off.

Click image to enlarge

Anyone got any tips for removing either of these ? 
Hung like Einstein, smart as a horse.

Post #416615 3rd Jan 2022 2:39 pm
gasman

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

There is a small tab each side of the yellow plug, gently squeeze these together and the plug can be removed. Thumbs Up Now at the point when I learn something new something old is lost out the other side !
Now retired so it doesn't matter anymore.
Freelander now gone.

Post #416635 3rd Jan 2022 11:24 pm
shiggsy

After looking for images of the parts online, (salvage images on ebay is good for this) I think I have worked out the issues.

For the Airbag connector I have been pressing the tabs together and then trying to lift the connector vertically, it looks like it just needs to be pulled out horizontally. Embarassed

For the Speed Control Inhibitor Switch, it looks like it does need to be turned anti-clockwise and not clockwise like it states in the Haynes manual I have. Banging Head . The LR pdf Workshop Manuals I have are not much use, they show diagrams mostly for the left hand drive layout, any right hand drive diagrams didn't match what I was seeing so the rotation indicators where pretty much redundant.

I might be able to rotate it anti-clockwise if I remove the wiring connector first, hopefully its that which is catching the adjacent Stop Light Switch,otherwise I'll have to try and remove the Stoplight Switch first. Probably need to work out which way that rotates as well. Sad

Unfortunately its chucking it down with rain today so I'll have to wait until tomorrow before I can try again. Sad 

Post #416663 4th Jan 2022 3:30 pm
shiggsy

Got the airbag wire disconnected, with the angled pliers though I still couldn't extract it. Tried a pair of thin nosed pliers and it pulled straight out. Confused

Onto the brake switches. I highly recommend never removing these switches unless you absloutely have to as they are virtually impossible to get back in. For reference the Brake Light Switch (black one on the right side) needs to come out first, rotate clockwise to extract it. Then rotate the Speed Inihibitor Switch (blue one on the left side) anti-clockwise. When putting them back the Speed Inihibitor Switch needs to go in first and then rotated clockwise. Then Brake Light Switch, if you can get it in, and then rotate it anti-clockwise....if you can.

I could get the Brake Light Switch in on its own quite easy, but it prevents the Inhibitor switch from rotating so it need to go in after the Inhibitor Switch. Trouble is when the Inhibitor Switch is in it obstructs your access to the handle the Brake Light Switch. After about an hour an a half of swearing I was seriously looking at having to take out a least the steering column and possibly the dash before one final go and just managed to get it located and rotated. My hand is cut to ribbons though.

After all that both swtches appear to be fine Banging Head . It would have been a hell of a lot easier just to back probe the connectors at the CJB I think it is, and test for volatage there, but frankly all I was expecting to do was reach up under tha dash, remove the connector and see if it was sticking and test for continuity, and then put it back.

So I still have a non-cranking non-start issue. I'll probably start a new thread on that If I don't make any progress on that. 

Post #416702 5th Jan 2022 5:30 pm
gasman

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Hi Shiggsy
Sorry to hear of your problems.
I know all about shredded hands.

As for your no cranking, I assume you have checked the obvious like the battery and the starter motor.

Just wondering how you came to the conclusion it was an inhibitor switch. Now at the point when I learn something new something old is lost out the other side !
Now retired so it doesn't matter anymore.
Freelander now gone.

Post #416711 5th Jan 2022 8:08 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1