« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Electric car charging point plans cut back
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White
Electric car charging point plans cut back

It seems that I'm not the only one who thinks the move to an Electric Car is a bit expensive.

The Government's Charging Infrastructure plans seem to be quietly cut back.

It's similar to my own plans - Several years ago I took advantage of the 'free' Home Car Charger installation scheme.
Since then I am yet to be convinced that either a PHEV or EV has any advantages (economic or practicality) over a normal Internal Combustion Engine car.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/plans-...d=msedgntp

PS I have been keeping an eye on the DS PHEV which gets good write-ups, but they seem so very expensive, and the RRS PHEV costs even more. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 74k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #416372 27th Dec 2021 9:25 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

So from the article, Boris and his merry band have backtracked on the plan that every non-residential premises need EV charging, and now it's only new or refurbished premises. A sane idea considering many companies are struggling with the effects of Covid / Brexit - so if you have enough cash to refurbish, add a few extra tens of thousands for a new supply and charging points, because every commercial outfit is the size of Tesco with deep pockets, rather than the two dozen or so who work at my current outfit, shame as it used to be in excess of 60 with a carpark to suit.

BUT
"A charging point to be required for every new or refurbished residential building from next year".
Going to be tricky if you are refurbishing a terraced house that is strait onto the street and has a rear entrance too narrow to get a car down - as many are.

With any luck the 2030 deadline is just hype, to persuade the ones who have the off street parking and enough cash for a new car to go electric, while leaving the rest to give electric a token gesture and go hybrid.

As an aside, Manchester has decided to go for an ultra clean zone throughout the county, so yes Salford gets to have cleaner air, but open spaces like Rivington also come under the banner of needing cleaner air !
Anyway tradesmen with Euro 5 or 4 vans are suddenly going to be faced with a £13/day charge for doing their jobs. Huge waiting list for new Euro 6 vans (chip shortage?), and three of my mates caught in the trap have just sold their vans (wile they can) and bought old estate cars - black out the rear windows and hey presto you have a small van and no cleanair charge - expect to see FL2 prices rise around Greater Manchester. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #416374 27th Dec 2021 11:45 am
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

I must admit that I am confused over what the future plans for EVs will be.

As for advantages, I cannot see that the UK Exchequer Funds will be able to afford the present EV (and electricity) Tax Savings
for much longer, so we will soon be paying a tax based on mileage or similar.

Already 'Public Chargers' are approaching, if not exceeding, the Cost per Mile of Petrol/Diesel.

Quote from the article.
The DfT’s consultation response said it wanted to find “a more tailored approach” for existing non-residential buildings. Despite worries over the financial costs, the cost of about £1,500 for installing a charger point can be recouped within a few years by charging users for electricity. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 74k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #416379 27th Dec 2021 2:16 pm
ReggiePerrin

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

Andy131 wrote:
So from the article…

"A charging point to be required for every new or refurbished residential building from next year".
Going to be tricky if you are refurbishing a terraced house that is strait onto the street and has a rear entrance too narrow to get a car down - as many are.

There is/was nothing that required refurbished back to back terraces (as you describe) to have charging points installed of course… All installations will be conditional on parking space/s…

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/g...ldings.pdf

Policy position: Residential Buildings
The government proposes every new residential building with an associated car parking space to have a chargepoint. We propose this requirement applies to buildings undergoing a material change of use to create a dwelling.

The government proposes requiring every residential building undergoing major renovation with more than 10 car parking spaces to have cable routes for electric vehicle chargepoints in every car parking space.

Policy position: New Non-Residential Buildings
The government proposes every new non-residential building and every non-residential building undergoing a major renovation with more than 10 car parking spaces to have one chargepoint and cable routes for an electric vehicle chargepoint for one in five spaces.

Policy position: Existing Non-Residential Buildings
The government proposes a requirement of at least one chargepoint in existing non-residential buildings with more than 20 car parking spaces, applicable from 2025.

Post #416397 28th Dec 2021 10:18 am
EyeSix

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver
The EV as everyday transport

I owned a BMW i3 for just over a year in 2018.

Although today, there are more charging points, back then, less so. But the real issues I had was that, (a) whilst the i3 was a rocket up to 50mph and fun to drive, its lightweight build made me feel I could damage it easily.

And (b) in winter, you had choose between being warm of have a greater range.

My overriding feeling was that, I was working for the car – not the other way round. Zermatt Silver LR2 i6

Previous

1997 Range Rover p38 4.6 V8
2003 Range Rover L322 4.4V8
1989 Range Rover Classic 3.9 V8
2003 Land Rover 90 Td5
2000 Range Rover p38 2.5dHSE
1975 Land Rover 90 SIII 2.25 petrol
1996 Range Rover p38 4.0 V8
1990 Discovery 3.5i V8 (3 door)
1973 Range Rover Classic 3.5 V8 (2 door, ex-Police)

Post #416399 28th Dec 2021 11:12 am
AT1963

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Covid has played its part in delaying some initiatives as we will be paying back the cost of covid for years to come Shocked
Personally, why would i want a EV??

-overpriced cost of vehicle
-cost to have charging point
-soulless compared to ICE vehicle (i personally like the sound of my SD being pushed hard)
-hugh impact on environment (battery production is no saint)

Solution- make more use of biodiesel which is claimed to be 80-90% less co2.
We are being led down a pathway that is no better than the one we are on.

Eat less meat, plant more trees, recycle clothes, reduce single use plastic.

Post #416424 28th Dec 2021 7:41 pm
Dartman the one

England 

Had an interesting discussion over the festive season with my daughter on EV's, she being a confirmed green with no nuclear option. conversation;- Daughter "Mum went down to the Toyota garage to see an EV, they didn't have any"
Me;- Toyota don't sell EV's in the UK but have a few hybrids, though I think one is coming out this year"
Daughter;- "what about the Nissan Leaf"
Me;- Toyota don't make the Nissan Leaf"
Daughter;- " Ah good point"
Much laughter my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #416774 7th Jan 2022 6:14 pm
pinhead

Click image to enlarge

Change is coming
As some on here know I have a model S and have run that now for over 3 years
Currently on 84k Miles so on Tuesday I thought I better get it serviced
I decided that cleevley EV could do the job as well as anyone having gained a great reputation among the tesla owners group on Facebook they know the cars inside out so I put my trust in them
176 Miles each way so on a 90% charge I set off I would have made it without charging but it would be touch and go getting back to a charger and I did not know how much energy they would use performing the service so I stopped off at Hopwood Park services on route and had a pee
This was enough to get back to Hopwood with some spare for them to use during the service
They spent about 3 hours going through the car (this is the first proper service it has ever had)
The pollen filter was changed,screen wash topped up and a new seal kit installed on one of the tpms/valves
I got a complete clean bill of health brakes steering suspension and high voltage cables and connectors all A1
With an advisory that a coolant valve was a little damp but the coolant was still at the upper level
Total bill£165 Inc vat
On the way back I had a choice sit at Hopwood Park for a big charge and drive straight home or do 2 small charges
I chose the latter as the second stop was going to be about 1700 and I could grab some tea at the same time so this is what I did

So yes the same trip could have been done in the freelander with just 1 trip to a fuel station but I didn't mind breaking the journey up the stops don't really need to be longer than it takes to go to the toilet on my last stop I was virtually fully charged by the time I got a KFC and ate it

Embrace the change you need a different outlook and the way you plan things but it's not that bad
When you can charge at home overnight you hardly ever need to charge away from home as every morning you can wake up with a full tank
I know there will always be some cases that are more difficult fir the serious road warriors
If landrover made a full ev discovery sport I woukd be very interested In it for sure but I have a feeling my model S replacement will be a model Y that is fully capable of towing the caravan and even more range than my S has now

Post #416775 7th Jan 2022 6:48 pm
Northcroft

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Zermatt Silver

electric cars . . . .if it means the end to stupid young boys coming out every evening with ridiculous exhaust pipes then its a winner with me

I just wish I could afford an electric one . . .

Whistle Whistle Whistle
Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
 2017 SEAT Ateca 4drive 2.0 xcellence (May 2022 -
2007 HSE with HST bodykit in Zermatt Silver 169,700 miles (dec 2016 - May 2022 )
2007 Honda Civic Type S GT (2012-2017)
2002 Mini Cooper S (2008-2012)
1992 Honda Legend 3.2i (2003-2008)
1990 Honda Concerto (1999-2003)
1985 Honda Accord (1997-1999)
1983 Honda Accord (1993-1997)
1983 Mini Mayfair (1988-1993)
1974 Mini 1000 (1979-1986)

Post #416776 7th Jan 2022 7:17 pm
MotionInc

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

Well, after the winter storm and shutdown of the I-95 in the USA for over 24hours, I'd suggest electric could be a serious challenge. Then again, a near empty gas tank is the same problem. Thank goodness, the temps were not as bad as they could have been.

Post #416777 7th Jan 2022 8:11 pm
pinhead

Interesting theory about roads getting shut and cuasing a problem and storm issues
When the power is off we cannot charge electric cars but we cannot pump fuel either
The other thing in a situation where a storm is coming and everyone needs to evacuate then it may well be better to own an ev a full charge will get you a long way (how far depends on the car but in my case 200 miles) and it's very likely I will have a full charge as its plugged in every night regardless of weather it needs it or not
But I can see images of the ques at gas stations already on social media and many of them running dry

Post #416782 7th Jan 2022 9:44 pm
GlynnB

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Pinhead. My model Y is due next month after 12 years in my Freelander. I must admit to some trepidation as my Freelander has been virtually trouble free - only had a seat cover replaced under warranty then a throttle body last year ( I have replaced the gears on the one that came off and will ebay it when the car goes) and 4 road springs. Other than that I have serviced the car myself with everything except the timing belt as my strength is not what it was. Nothing in the current Landrover line up took my fancy so opted for the Tesla. Electric is perfect for my current needs with just me and my dog on runs to the east coast. Silver 2009 HSE

Post #416793 8th Jan 2022 4:00 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

In 2017 we put 3 phase to our garages in our block of Units. So ready to go when we get an electric car, next car, or mobility scooter! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #416795 8th Jan 2022 8:16 am
AT1963

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Maybe its my age but i like the sound of a ICE engine, i like doing my own servicing (had defender prior to FL2) and did all servicing on that for 8 years Very Happy
I also like getting a good deal on vehicles, though i do not like car tax costs and fuel costs Shocked
ICE cars have more soul and as i tow both horse box as well as large trailer (for logs) i consider EVs non viable and will stick to ICE.
BTW- what is the tax on EVs??

Post #416802 8th Jan 2022 11:31 am
GlynnB

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

At the moment road tax zero. Purchase tax normal VAT. Silver 2009 HSE

Post #416804 8th Jan 2022 12:50 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>