« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > SD4 Cold Starting
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Labradorslave

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey
SD4 Cold Starting

Finally found a decent SD4 so took the plunge and sold my trusty 2009 HSE TD4 which has faithfully served me for years.

I have to say, the difference is staggering. Much more refined and the facelift interior make it a much nicer place to be. The extra bhp transforms the performance which I wasn’t expecting. I have had four TD4’s but I would never go back to one again. One minor niggle is cold starting in sub zero temperatures. It fires almost instantly but is lumpy for about a second. Do you think I have a glow plug failed? Is that likely to push soot onto my dpf?

Post #415172 28th Nov 2021 12:30 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Have you tried the usual starting trick? . That’s turn the car on and press the starter without your foot on the brake so that the plug heating cycle runs without cranking . Then start the car in the normal way . The glow plugs were on the way out when I sold my 09 , but that trick got me through the winter . Also make sure your battery is 100% . 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #415175 28th Nov 2021 1:55 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

The Freelander doesn't only use the glowplugs for starting, they continue to be used for quite a while after the car has started, supposed to reduce emissions, but obviously helps with tickover while cold. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #415186 28th Nov 2021 6:12 pm
Labradorslave

I always carry out the preheat without my foot on the brake pedal👍You are right about the glow plugs being used during engine warm-up. I changed them on my last one and the pickup was noticeably improved during the first few miles of driving on cold mornings. All four had failed and it was a pig to start.

Post #415189 28th Nov 2021 6:31 pm
Simon J

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Rimini Red

Do you just press the starter button and release it (as when actually starting the car) or do you need to keep it pressed, and if so, for how long?

Post #415199 29th Nov 2021 9:08 am
Grimdog

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Barolo Black

You have to depress and hold the start button for a few seconds until the dashboard lights up.

Post #415200 29th Nov 2021 10:05 am
Simon J

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Rimini Red

Thumbs Up Thanks.

Post #415201 29th Nov 2021 10:06 am
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

I always thought that the start sequence was automatic once the Start Button was pressed.

Mine seems to start at the lowest temperatures, even if the button is released during the Glow Plug warming and before the Starter Motor turns. I am sure that I have even had an automatic repeat when the first cycle failed to fire. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #415226 29th Nov 2021 6:46 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

@Ian Metro
It is fully automatic.
When very cold there will be a temperature dependent delay between pressing the starter button and the engine starting to crank. You will see the glow plug symbol transiently illuminate prior to cranking.

A failed glow plug may not affect actual starting but initial idle may be rough as one cylinder will be slower to warm.

Out of interest the Td5 engine in my Disco 2 had five cylinders but only 4 glow plugs as a 5th (rear) glow plug would be impossible to remove without dismantling the engine.
They were also much easier to replace than in the FL2 Jules

Post #415232 29th Nov 2021 9:04 pm
Labradorslave

IanMetro you are correct-there is an automatic delay-even after the preheat cycle. On my old TD4, it used to crank for a few seconds before firing. Carrying out the preheat without the brake pedal pressed meant it fired up much quicker with less cranking-till all four glow plugs failed!

Post #415253 30th Nov 2021 3:13 pm
AndyPP

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

my 2014 sd4 has always sounded rough on very cold starts, 1 or 2 degrees C etc. smooths out within a few seconds

Post #415268 30th Nov 2021 7:47 pm
Labradorslave

That is reassuring to here. Mine sounds very similar. Many thanks for taking the time to share your experience 👍

Post #415281 30th Nov 2021 9:16 pm
Alan Graham

Finland 

Had to smile at this discussion.
I see you talk about cold starting in 1 or 2 degrees and I think the impliction is plus.
I have two freelanders (2007, 2011) and have not had starting problems in cold weather but do use additional preheating.
It was -15c this morning and has been -10 for a while now, but it did get to a tropical -6 yesterday afternoon.
The coldest months, jan and feb, temperatures below -25, for several days at a time, are quite common.
The coldest I have seen outside the front door was -37c.
I spend two weeks, most winters, in Ivalo, fairly north in Finland, during january when -40c, or below, can obtain for the duration.
Slightly off topic.
As with many governments, the Finnish government wish us to go all electric.
I note that Tesla, for instance, have a "do not operate" warning for temperatures below -30 and I cannot find any information about range at temperatures approaching -30.
Perhaps there are similar restrictions for the new electric LRs.
Has anyone any experience of an electric LR?

Post #415363 2nd Dec 2021 3:29 pm
Freelander marto

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey
Re: SD4 Cold Starting

Labradorslave wrote:
Finally found a decent SD4 so took the plunge and sold my trusty 2009 HSE TD4 which has faithfully served me for years.

I have to say, the difference is staggering. Much more refined and the facelift interior make it a much nicer place to be. The extra bhp transforms the performance which I wasn’t expecting. I have had four TD4’s but I would never go back to one again. One minor niggle is cold starting in sub zero temperatures. It fires almost instantly but is lumpy for about a second. Do you think I have a glow plug failed? Is that likely to push soot onto my dpf?
t

This has just happened to me, a very lumpy started and Rev up and a reduced engine performance came up on the dash. Turned it off and tried again and it it took a few secs longer to start but still lumpy. Read the codes and there was nothing new so cleared them i symbol went off the dash. Started the car up and it was ok. That was Tuesday morning and been ok till home time today lumpy but not as bad but this time sorted itself out but not reduced engine warning came up. I am hoping it could be the battery it is original. These cars seem sensitive to slightly failing batteries. GS Sd4 2012

Post #415375 2nd Dec 2021 8:08 pm
AT1963

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

` with many governments, the Finnish government wish us to go all electric.
I note that Tesla, for instance, have a "do not operate" warning for temperatures below -30 and I cannot find any information about range at temperatures approaching -30.
Perhaps there are similar restrictions for the new electric LRs.
Has anyone any experience of an electric LR?`

EVs...soulless boxes Neutral

Post #415376 2nd Dec 2021 8:37 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>