« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > In Car Electronics > Extremely Loud "Banging" Noise from Audio?? Am I
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
jenks1950

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black
Extremely Loud "Banging" Noise from Audio?? Am I

This is really weird, but I will try to describe as best I can and see if anyone has any ideas

I was driving down a narrow lane this morning in the Brecon Beacons at about 15mph when all of a sudden there was this load banging noise. I think that the best way I can describe this is that it was as if someone was beating the roof of the car with a baseball bat!! Fearing some massive mechanical failure, I quickly pulled over and stopped. Looked under and around the car and nothing obvious. Got back in and moved a few feet and it started again. Stopped, got out and repeated.
A farmer came out to see if I needed help. I explained what was going on so he suggested I move the car and he would observe from outside. He said "I think it is coming from inside the car". We repeated with the windows down and both concluded that we thought the noise was coming from the car's speakers. On one occasion this happened when we were both outside the car with the ignition and engine off!!
Anyway, I decided that I would return the couple of miles to where I ma based and sort it from there. Got back in the car and drove off and nothing!! It's like nothing ever happened!! Everything appears normal!!

Anyone got any ideas for a possible explanation?? I am starting to doubt my own sanity!!

The only other piece of information that I can add, is that about 50 yards away, there was a man up a telegraph pole doing some work. I think they are putting in high speed broadband

Steve

Post #414685 17th Nov 2021 1:00 pm
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

It wasn’t the drum bit from Phill Collins In The Air Tonight was it Rolling with laughter

Post #414686 17th Nov 2021 1:45 pm
EyeSix

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

I've had similar noises from a couple of Rangie P38s. I think it's some form of feedback from the audio system.

It only happened a couple of times, once after switching off the ignition, then never again
That said, the man on the telegraph pole could have been producing some radio interference .

I wouldn't worry about it - it's all part of driving eccentric British engineering!

Post #414691 17th Nov 2021 2:54 pm
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Wasn’t Phil Collins up that telegraph pole?

Post #414701 17th Nov 2021 7:07 pm
jenks1950

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Thanks for the replies guys............humerous and otherwise!!

It does seem from the general lack of feedback that this is not a common occurrence. I have a vague recollection of someone reporting a while ago, some strange electrical gremlins when they passed a particular location.

I have to say, that I was quite shaken at the time, The noise was so loud and all I could think of was some catastrophic mechanical failure or that someone was physically attacking the car!!

I drove past the same spot again yesterday. No man up a pole and everything else totally normal

Steve

Post #414718 18th Nov 2021 10:45 am
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Yes I seem to remember someone’s sat nav going strange when he went over a bridge or something ?

Post #414719 18th Nov 2021 10:53 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1