« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > hedge trimmer
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Northcroft

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Zermatt Silver
hedge trimmer

can one of you clever people answer this in simple terms please . . . .

Ive just done the most stupid thing that ive ever done, I cut the electric cable of my hedge trimmer with the hedge trimmer Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

My question is this, the 5 amp fuse in the plug did not blow, neither did the fuse in the extension lead, it just popped the house fuse, once pressed, all worked again (after joining wire)

Why doesnt the fuse in the trimmer be the one to blow ? Whistle Whistle Whistle 2017 SEAT Ateca 4drive 2.0 xcellence (May 2022 -
2007 HSE with HST bodykit in Zermatt Silver 169,700 miles (dec 2016 - May 2022 )
2007 Honda Civic Type S GT (2012-2017)
2002 Mini Cooper S (2008-2012)
1992 Honda Legend 3.2i (2003-2008)
1990 Honda Concerto (1999-2003)
1985 Honda Accord (1997-1999)
1983 Honda Accord (1993-1997)
1983 Mini Mayfair (1988-1993)
1974 Mini 1000 (1979-1986)

Post #414507 11th Nov 2021 5:21 pm
CED

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Bali Blue

The trip went out far faster than the fuses had time to react. That’s what saves your life.

Post #414508 11th Nov 2021 5:35 pm
3disco

United Kingdom 

Because the one in the house is more sensitive also the first thing I did when I used an electric hedge trimmer so your not alone! Shocked

Post #414509 11th Nov 2021 5:37 pm
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey
Re: hedge trimmer

Northcroft wrote:

Ive just done the most stupid thing that ive ever done, I cut the electric cable of my hedge trimmer with the hedge trimmer Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

My question is this, the 5 amp fuse in the plug did not blow, neither did the fuse in the extension lead, it just popped the house fuse, once pressed, all worked again (after joining wire)

Why doesnt the fuse in the trimmer be the one to blow ? Whistle Whistle Whistle

It’s to create maximum embarrassment - if the house fuse blows everyone gets to know what you’ve done whereas if just the appliance fuse goes you needn’t tell anyone Wink
Some years ago all my parents power went off when council were trimming the hedge on the slip road. Seems ‘operative’ was standing on the back of a flat-bed as his mate drove slowly alongside the hedge, however neither of them noticed all the wires running up the telegraph pole - power lines, phones etc Rolling with laughter

Post #414512 11th Nov 2021 6:21 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

CED wrote:
The trip went out far faster than the fuses had time to react. That’s what saves your life.

As CED said -

I think it was the earth trip that operated in the house as it sensed the electric current taking the wrong path.
It only requires a tiny fraction of current to be finding another path to trigger it.

https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/g...o0QAvD_BwE FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #414513 11th Nov 2021 6:53 pm
ReggiePerrin

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

My hedge trimmer cable is now so short I’ve started cutting through the extension lead…. Confused

Post #414517 11th Nov 2021 8:05 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

My Hedge Trimmer electric lead was cut so many times that I had to put a plug on it, and now run it via an extension lead.

This does actual make it easier, as after every new 'accident,' I can trim the damaged extension lead, and refit socket.

PS I have now bought a cordless Hedge Trimmer, in fact most of my garden and power tools are now cordless. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #414519 11th Nov 2021 8:45 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

I'm going full circle. As a confirmed petrol head, everything was petrol - leaf blower, grass cutting, hedge trimmer but years of poor starting - Gill didn't stand a chance, forced me to buy electric. Mains at first, then when Gill started to take over we went cordless, but they were puny and took way too long.
Gone back to petrol but bought Stihl chainsaw, hedge cutter and leaf blower. They start easily and work well, the leaf blower is amazing, it is the backpack version because you couldn't hold it in your arms for long, wet leaves Ha! the hedge trimmer just cuts strait without continually going over the same patch.

Must admit the chainsaw is a step too far for pruning, a battery one is lighter and easier to handle, OK the Stihl cuts down trees easily, but once they are down it's not necessary.

Grass cutting is a thing of the past - plastic grass is so much better, just don't drop a hot blowtorch on it. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #414541 12th Nov 2021 11:42 am
I Like Chips

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Andy 131 Serious question ......do you have problems with bird pooh on your plastic grass?

Post #414544 12th Nov 2021 2:06 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Bird poo isn't too much of a problem - hose pipe and no water meter.
Bird (pigeon) feathers on the other hand are a right pain, leaf vac doesn't touch them, leaf blower struggles and then only moves them 5-6ft.

Next door like to feed he flying rats on an open bird table, so they are there regularly. We were troubled with rodents feeding of the dropped seeds, but since our dog died we have put poison down and the vermin haven't been seen for a while.

The garden had been a mud bath for years (decades!) we finally bit the bullet, and the guys who installed the lawn did an amazing job. Dug and installed land-drains, 16 tonnes of stone, 4-5 tonnes of sand and then the lawn. Previously when in rained (in Manchester!!) the lawn was unusable for days as the clay soil didn't allow it to dry out. Now we get a heavy downpour and 10 minutes later the lawn is good to walk on. It's been down 5 years, looks as good as the first day, the guys did come back early this year to "service" the lawn. Some idiot had been using a leaf sucker for years and had sucked the sand out from between the grass blades causing them to lie more flat. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her

Post #414546 12th Nov 2021 2:35 pm
AT1963

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Poison and plastic grass!....an environmental strategy to confuse children and nature Shocked

Post #415377 2nd Dec 2021 8:55 pm
DEG5Y

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black
Re: hedge trimmer

Northcroft wrote:

Why doesnt the fuse in the trimmer be the one to blow ? Whistle Whistle Whistle

It all depends o what kind of breaker you have fitted in your fusebox.
Firstly as some one else mentioned a breaker does react quicker than a fuse of similar value.
But it is more likely that what tripped would have been a ressidual current device (either RCD or RCBO) which monitors the current in the live and neutral return, it should be the same.
If when you cut the cable you have caught the earth wire then you have given a pathway for current to leak away. this now puts an imbalance in the live and neutral and causes the breaker to trip.

The breaker should trip within 30mS which is quicker than any fuse blows and saves your life.

Post #415384 2nd Dec 2021 10:40 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

AT1963 wrote:
Poison and plastic grass!....an environmental strategy to confuse children and nature Shocked

Plastic grass unlike tarmac or concrete allows the rainwater to soak into the clay Exclamation and if the kids (36 & 39) are daft enough to eat the poison in the traps, then maybe Darwin has a point.

We could open up a whole topic about the environment, but I am sure it is a far more poisonous topic than the stuff I have put in the traps. Whistle Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her

Post #415387 3rd Dec 2021 12:12 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

My uncle cut grandmas hedge with a tractor mounter hedge cutter, this is in the local town not a rural property Rolling Eyes

Anyway he forgot about the summer house backing into the hedge and completely de-roofed the thing Rolling Eyes

personally I use a ryobi battery trimmer. goes well. been so easy you can trim little and often , then just shred the clippings with a mulch mower. beech hedge At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #415411 3rd Dec 2021 2:32 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

The problem with battery powered gear, especially if you buy cheap Chinese/supermarket tools is finding a replacement battery when the inevitable happens and it starts to die. I have even bought B&Q tools (McAllister) and found the same problem. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #415594 7th Dec 2021 10:38 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>