« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Oil Catch Can
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Matty Mat

South Africa 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Alaska White
Oil Catch Can

Been doing some research and thought i would ask here as well. I can see guys have have put catch cans on the TD4 motor but cant find anyone who has done this to a SD4 motor. Has anyone done it on these motors and is it worth it?

Post #413023 4th Oct 2021 7:10 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Having had one on a diesel Octavia VRS I think they are a waste of time and money. You'll mainly collect water condensate and make negligible difference to oil mist getting into the inlet system through the PCV.

They may have a value in race engines or heavy plant but it will make no difference to the performance or engine component longevity in a Freelander engine.
But I'd be happy to see any sound research refuting that statement. Jules

Post #413148 6th Oct 2021 8:10 pm
ozjeff62

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Ipanema Sand

Surprised you haven't had more replies.

I did the research and bought a catch can.

Then I did more research and didn't.

I'd kind of like to but couldn't be arsed, really, given there's debate on how useful they are.

Open to offers ... haha MY11 SD4 SE Auto

Post #413175 7th Oct 2021 11:47 am
Jagracer

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Bali Blue

Hi you would be better off to have an in-flight refuelling system to refill as you follow a rare tanker. The one with fuel could tow a convoy behind it, each on fuel saving mode. We used to have Steam Engines that did that in 1840!

Post #413178 7th Oct 2021 12:11 pm
jules

ozjeff62 wrote:
Surprised you haven't had more replies.

I did the research and bought a catch can.

Then I did more research and didn't.

I'd kind of like to but couldn't be arsed, really, given there's debate on how useful they are.

Open to offers ... haha

For me its the same as these Super diesel fuels - cost more but do nothing. The manufacturers offer no evidence of any real-life benefit. Just statements that under certain conditions and in certain engines there may be an unquantifiable benefit.

From the Shell website "Actual effects and benefits may vary according to vehicle type, driving conditions and driving style. No guarantees provided. "
No figures of any sort quoted therein.
Snake oil in my opinion.

I'm not talking about super petrol fuels which are of a higher octane and offer higher BHP. Jules

Post #413216 7th Oct 2021 9:42 pm
I Like Chips

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Good job the premium fuel is still sold because being E5 it means I can run my small lawnmower etc on it. Other than that can't think of any reason to use it.

Post #413231 8th Oct 2021 9:15 am
jules

Oh I never thought of that.

Is E10 a problem for 2 stroke engines- my strimmer, hedge trimmer and chain saw all use 2SO/petrol mix?
Or is the issue "simply" that E10 damages seals, gaskets and plastic/rubber tubing on older engines rather than actual engine parts (pistons, valves etc) ? Jules

Post #413239 8th Oct 2021 4:54 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

I wish that it was just rubber and plastics. It attacks the aluminum

The UK Govt. and the AA say a tankful will do no lasting damage, whereas the ADAC rather than sticking a finger in the air and seeing which way the wind blows have actually tested the stuff and report that a single tankful can do irreparable damage.

Now who do you believe, a body who bends to lobbying and self interests or an independent motoring body who have actually bothered to test the stuff in real cars? Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #413259 8th Oct 2021 9:18 pm
jules

from the Stihl website :

"E10 petrol will contain up to 10% renewable ethanol. This is intended to help reduce CO2 emissions, but we know that some of you may have concerns about how this will affect your petrol tools. We recommend in all of our owners’ manuals that you should only use high-quality brand-name petrol with a minimum octane rating of 90, but we can reassure you that petrol with an ethanol content of 10% or less, like the new E10 petrol will not cause a problem with your STIHL petrol tool.

In fact, our STIHL M-Tronic engines can still deliver full power when run using petrol with an ethanol content of up to 25% (E25).

However, petrol with an ethanol content of more than 10% can cause running problems in engines with a manually adjustable carburetor so should not be used in such engines.

As with any petrol, we would still recommend not storing your machine with E10 petrol in it, to avoid any blockages in the fuel delivery parts of the tool. We also recommend that you store E10 fuel for no longer than 30 days in order to minimize the degree of fuel segregation. This is where the moisture in the air binds with the ethanol and settles on the bottom of the canister. This can cause running problems and shaking the container does not completely resolve fuel segregation."

The last part is interesting about moisture absorption and fuel segregation- it was news to me Jules

Post #413264 9th Oct 2021 12:47 am
merlinj79

United States 2008 LR2 i6 S Auto Tambora Flame

Catch can is only really useful if the vehicle is used for racing or otherwise run wide-open a lot, and/or the motor's been modified.

Otherwise your motor is probably designed to run just fine without it. Especially if you run synthetic oil, which has better detergent action than dino juice.

Post #413285 9th Oct 2021 4:12 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1