Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Varta F21 AGM Vented or Not ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
MotionInc

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

No problem, seriously. But, if you look at the first pictorial of the instructions, it's telling you to remove/pull the plug (arrow away from battery) to vent it to prevent explosive/corrosive gasses from building up and cause external damage or even damage to the battery itself.

Just wait for Varta to confirm or provide clearer guidance and post an update. Here is a Google search on the topic:
https://www.google.com/search?q=does%20an%...%20vent%3F

Post #412638 25th Sep 2021 1:58 am
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

If the battery didn’t have the stickers I’m wondering if it’s been out to someone before ? I would get pliers and remove that white plug it also looks like someone has had a go at it before.

Post #412642 25th Sep 2021 8:00 am
Badger51

Australia 
Re: Varta F21 AGM Vented or Not ?

Grimdog wrote:
My new Varta F21 AGM battery arrived today. I looked to remove the vent plugs used for transit purposes, but only found this

The other side is identical.

Attached to the positive terminal cover was a plug that fits in the hole perfectly

The pictorial instructions are worthless

So after an hour of trawling the good old tinterweb, I convinced myself that the battery did not require venting, and had an inbuilt safety vent system. I found reference to sealed vent holes in the Varta site, but unfortunately fig. 1 ( the image ) was missing !

So I put it on charge with my Ctek charger set to AGM mode. However, after checking the battery after an hour, the charger was at stage 4, I noticed that the side walls were " rounded"

So I took it off charge. I did not notice if the sidewalls were flat when it came out of the box

Can anyone who has fitted one of these batteries confirm if one of the flush fitting plugs / holes should be removed, or is this battery sealed and doesn't require venting?

I have looked at the original land Rover battery on the car ( also Varta AGM ), which has a vent pipe fitted, but upon close inspection, the hole in to which it is plugged, appears to be a blind hole.

How hard can it be to replace a car battery? I did the glow plugs and swirl flap removal yesterday which was easier than this!

As always, any help and advice will be greatly appreciated......

What you have done is not quite correct! The blanking plug should be next to the - terminal. The 90° vent fitting then goes in the opposite end, usually next to the + terminal. (Now Sold). 2008 Freelander 2 (Nazca Sand) SE TD4 Auto. Statutory write off & on WOVR for hail damage but still road legal.
171037Km as of 09/05/22
Superchips Bluefin Flash
Nanocom Evo II (also sold)

Post #412646 25th Sep 2021 8:47 am
Grimdog

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Barolo Black

MotionInc wrote:
No problem, seriously. But, if you look at the first pictorial of the instructions, it's telling you to remove/pull the plug (arrow away from battery) to vent it to prevent explosive/corrosive gasses from building up and cause external damage or even damage to the battery itself.

Just wait for Varta to confirm or provide clearer guidance and post an update. Here is a Google search on the topic:
https://www.google.com/search?q=does%20an%...%20vent%3F

Thanks again for your reply. Here is some text taken from the search you provided. Taken from the Varta link.

AGM batteries
The abbreviation AGM stands for Absorbent Glass Mat. In an AGM battery, the electrolyte is completely bound in a glass fiber mat. AGM batteries are leak-proof and can also deal with inclined positions without problems..

The positive features of AGM batteries include:

Leak-proofing
Position tolerance
Vibration resistance
Greater Safety

Gel batteries are often confused with AGM batteries. What are the differences and what do the batteries have in common? Both types of battery are VRLA batteries and are equipped with a vent valve. The abbreviation VRLA stands for Valve Regulated Lead Acid Battery. With this closed battery type the hydrogen which is generated by the battery is recombined, so that topping up with distilled water as with wet batteries is not required.

I think that I am going to try the following today to further prove / disprove the theory. Take an old spare lead acid battery, tip it up and see if there is any leakage from the vent hole. Next take the existing Land Rover badged Varta battery from the car and repeat the process. The hole in the existing battery appears blind, as does the new battery. I will post results.

Post #412647 25th Sep 2021 8:59 am
Grimdog

SYFL2 wrote:
If the battery didn’t have the stickers I’m wondering if it’s been out to someone before ? I would get pliers and remove that white plug it also looks like someone has had a go at it before.

The plug shown in image 2 on my initial post shows the plug which was attached to the negative terminal safety cover. I detached it to see if / how it fitted in the hole.

The first image shows the hole without the plug. This is how the battery arrived. I can not see any evidence of the battery being previously supplied and returned. The date code is July this year. I purchased the battery from batt24, as I am currently in France. This is a German company, linked directly to Varta from my research.

Post #412648 25th Sep 2021 9:06 am
Grimdog

Re: Varta F21 AGM Vented or Not ?

Badger51 wrote:
Grimdog wrote:
My new Varta F21 AGM battery arrived today. I looked to remove the vent plugs used for transit purposes, but only found this

Attached to the positive terminal cover was a plug that fits in the hole perfectly

So after an hour of trawling the good old tinterweb, I convinced myself that the battery did not require venting, and had an inbuilt safety vent system. I found reference to sealed vent holes in the Varta site, but unfortunately fig. 1 ( the image ) was missing !

So I put it on charge with my Ctek charger set to AGM mode. However, after checking the battery after an hour, the charger was at stage 4, I noticed that the side walls were " rounded"

So I took it off charge. I did not notice if the sidewalls were flat when it came out of the box

Can anyone who has fitted one of these batteries confirm if one of the flush fitting plugs / holes should be removed, or is this battery sealed and doesn't require venting?

I have looked at the original land Rover battery on the car ( also Varta AGM ), which has a vent pipe fitted, but upon close inspection, the hole in to which it is plugged, appears to be a blind hole.

How hard can it be to replace a car battery? I did the glow plugs and swirl flap removal yesterday which was easier than this!

What you have done is not quite correct! The blanking plug should be next to the - terminal. The 90° vent fitting then goes in the opposite end, usually next to the + terminal.

This is my current train of thought. If only clear instructions were supplied! My only concern is the slight rounding of the end panels, but it could have been like this out of the box and I did not notice at the time ...... Durrrrrrrr

Post #412651 25th Sep 2021 9:10 am
PRadd

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Dynamic Manual Santorini Black

The Yuasa AGM I fitted recently definitely had transit plugs fitted which I removed and connected one vent hole to the vent pipe as per instructions (your instructions seem the same to me) 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Manual Dynamic
1956/7 88" Series One Land Rover
1956/7 88" Series One Land Rover - undergoing restoration

Post #412657 25th Sep 2021 11:04 am
Grimdog

The vent pipe on the car is a perfect fit, as is the plug shown in image 2, but definitely no transit plugs ........ so .......

I removed the old Land Rover (varta) battery and stood it on its end, result, no leak from vent hole. Repeated process with a spare lead acid battery, same result, no leak.

After careful examination, and with the aid of a thin long screw, I probed the unblanked end where the vent pipe fitted in the old battery ...... and found a tiny hole at the bottom of the "blind" hole, same result with the new battery.

The negative terminal end of the old battery was plugged

I also noticed that both end panels of the old battery were concave, as opposed to convex on my new battery.

My conclusion is that yes, both batteries are vented, my new battery was shipped without transit plugs which should have been fitted, and the rounding ( convex ) nature of the end panels on the new battery was not caused by the battery not being vented whilst on charge with the ctek.

I shall continue to chase the supplier to find out what has gone on, but am not holding my breath as a German supplier shipped the battery to me in France, and I am English !

The new battery is fitted, vent at + end, plug at - end and car updated with SDD. I have just given it a run and all seems well.

What a performance for a couple of missing transit plugs! Will update should I get any sense from the supplier. Again, thanks to all who have contributed Thumbs Up

Post #412670 25th Sep 2021 1:40 pm
MotionInc

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

Quote:
The new battery is fitted, vent at + end, plug at - end and car updated with SDD. I have just given it a run and all seems well.

Sounds about right to me Wink Thumbs Up

Post #412671 25th Sep 2021 2:05 pm
Boutle

United Kingdom 

Grimdog wrote:

Hello. I found all this in a search as I had the same issue just having bought a varta A5 AGM battery. I was previously aware of the vent plug situ so looked and found the same as the photo above. I also found the small plastic "snap-off" plug attached to the +ve terminal cover.
I called the battery supplier to ask about the vent holes at either end and basically he was clueless as it turned out and gave me the wrong directions.

Here's what to do.

Leave the plugs (with hole) where they are. DO NOT dig one out as I did per the (incorrect) supplier instruction, because if you shine a light down that plug hole, you will see a small hole at the end which appears white (this is the glass mat). All you need to do is insert your vent tube attachment into the plug hole which vents to the outside and push the "snap off plug into the same hole at the opposite end.

Hope this explanation helps.

Post #439681 27th Feb 2024 4:27 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12