Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > My fuel flap door won't open!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Acciola

Malta 
My fuel flap door won't open!

I just had my Tail Gate Door Latch fail so I cannot open the damn door, not to mention all the complications that brings but now I just found out that the fuel flap door won't open.

Anyone got any idea if this is a common problem or if there is a manual way to open this?

Post #174311 6th Mar 2013 11:28 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ccsnet

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

Sounds like a fuse problem?

T Terran

'The' Car For The Modern Day UK Roads ( ie all the pot holes )

'A Freelander that leaks oil is just marking its territory' - Wise words

Now a member of the FL2 'Silly Bill' Club

Post #174312 6th Mar 2013 11:34 am
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

Tailgate latch failures are very common - usually due to water getting in to the switch on the tailgate itself, which may not be as much of a problem in Malta as it is here! Depending on what has failed you may still be able to open the tailgate using the button on the remote, or by pressing the lock and unlock buttons on the dashboard simultaneously for a couple of seconds.

The fuel flap failing I've not come across before, and I'm not aware of a manual over-ride for it. (I'm sure you know this, but the flap locks with the car, so can't be opened if the car is locked.) As suggested, a check of the fuses is one thing to try.

Post #174313 6th Mar 2013 11:46 am
pab

N.B. The tailgate and fuel filler flap share a fuse - F25 (10 amp, red) in the fusebox in the passenger footwell. This is likely the cause of your problem.

Post #174319 6th Mar 2013 1:25 pm
Acciola

Malta 

Well, got round to checking the fuse and it was indeed F25 that had burnt out. Replaced it with a spare one and is working now... So a big FAT thanks you you guys Laughing

Now Im beginning to wonder, since both the tailgate latch and fuel flap are both on the same fuse, could the latch just be a simple fuse problem rather than a latch failure? I would check this myself but I have since had the latch disconnected by my mechanic untll I find a latch replacement and sort out my warranty. Guess I should ask him too.

Just for the record, my FL2 is a 2008 S model purchased from Glasgow last November which I drove to Malta. So yes! it must have seen loads of water and snow I guess Smile

Post #174324 6th Mar 2013 2:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Acciola

Malta 

Further more, my mechanic did check the current going to my latch at the time and there was. Which is why he concluded that the latch had failed and also keeping in mind that they usually do that.

Post #174325 6th Mar 2013 2:24 pm
pab

Or perhaps the mechanic accidentally blew the fuse when disconnecting the tailgate latch?

Post #174326 6th Mar 2013 2:31 pm
Acciola

Malta 

Its possible but I dont remember if I had fueled up since then - must be old age creeping in Smile

Post #174327 6th Mar 2013 2:50 pm
Apache

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Indus Silver

I still think latch is a known problem so quite a reasonable place to blow the fuse. My wife's had quite a lot of soapy water in there. Only ~£25 for bits and easy DIY fix Very Happy

Post #174354 6th Mar 2013 5:58 pm
defenderben

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

Has this been addressed in the later style boot lid/catch assembly? (GONE) FL2 2008 SE (manual) Santorini Black, the expensive one Sad
(LEFT WITH) 300tdi Defender 90 the cold, reliable & sensible one Smile

Post #174355 6th Mar 2013 6:02 pm
Acciola

Malta 

Apache wrote:
I still think latch is a known problem so quite a reasonable place to blow the fuse. My wife's had quite a lot of soapy water in there. Only ~£25 for bits and easy DIY fix Very Happy

Hi Apache... thats very interesting. So can the latch be easily repaired? Can you give me more details on that please? If my warranty doesnt come through, Id much rather spend £25 repairing it than £70 for a new one.

Post #174468 7th Mar 2013 9:03 am
pab

See this post for instructions and pictures:
http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic6143.html...ate+switch

Post #174471 7th Mar 2013 10:28 am
alex_pescaru

Beware that the fuel flap motor has had some problems on some cars and therefore it was in the habit of blowing up fuses and not working. Monitor its status from time to time...
From what I'm remembering, it was a buletin for that, which rewrites some firmware in the CJB.

Post #174479 7th Mar 2013 12:08 pm
boatshedgary

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 Dynamic Auto Fuji White

Getting back on track, yes, I had the same problem, the fuel filler app locked closed, the tailgate opening fine, the later FL 2 has a dedicated fuse for the filler cap which on mine had blown, no manual release so the only way if the fuse has not blown is to remove the near side inner wheel arch lining or get to the solenoid which is what I was about to do,

Luckily I checked the fuse first ( though reading the forums I was led to believe it shared the same fuse as the tailgate which was working fine.......glad I checked !!!)

Had the fuse been ok I was simply going to remove the plunger from the solenoid or the solenoid itself.

Hope this helps 2013 FL 2 (TD4) Dynamic.

Post #326430 2nd Jul 2017 7:46 pm
Thunder Rider

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Thanks for that info (over four years since you posted it!). My fuel filler flap wouldn’t open this afternoon when I went to fill up so I came home and logged onto the Forum. My tailgate still opened so I got the handbook out to see which fuse does what and my fuel filler flap has a separate fuse (F34 located behind the glovebox) which had blown. Now replaced and flap opens again.
Bit of a faff removing the glovebox and relocating the damper strut when you put it back but now I’ve done it once it’ll be easy next time.
13 plate SD4 XS

Post #411405 16th Aug 2021 5:54 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1