« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > My Freelander 2 > Newbie on the block - many questions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
blaster1232

Latvia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Santorini Black
Newbie on the block - many questions

Hello to everyone, first post in this forum. I have been sucking up information from this gold mine for a while now, and decided that since i've bought a Freelander 2, I should become a proper full-time member as well.
In addition to all the other Rovers on our farm (FL1, DISCO1, DISCO3, Disco sport), three days ago i bought a FL2 from Denmark (LHD), passed the inspection without any problems, 190k km on clock, 2008, S version (I believe). Seems to be in a good condition, apart from some minor rust bubbles on few parts. Full anti-corrosion treatment under the car, which is extremely important in my region.

Some things I have already managed to do:
- Oil change and oil filter
- Fuel filter
- Cabin filter
- Air filter
- Brake pads
- Almost new 19'' Evoque wheels fitted

Things on ''to do'' list

Facelift bumper
Android system
Leather seats (if I manage to find them.. not that many for LHD at breakers)
Signature strip headlights (only if i bite the bullet and spend 1000 eur for a pair)
TRS fitting

If i may, I would also like to ask a few questions that I couldnt find answer to in this forum -

- My freelander didn't come with Terrain response system, but I think it would be handy. Is it possible to fit one to my car? I can buy the interior TRS knob for cheap, but I suppose that there has to be some addition parts needed?
- signature headlights - I know it is not a straight swap, and some wiring has to be done, but is there a secret place where you guys get the headlights for cheap? Very few secondahand for LHD and almost all of them are without the strip. 1000-1400 EUR for an original pair seems a little too much for me, but I found a 400 dolar pair on chinese website - is the quality fine, do you have any experience with these? https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Hot...4e0dneVfvn
- Android system - I know that many of you have fitted Xtrons, but with quite high price, the price even doubles due to import charges and VAT we have to pay after brexit, so in final the price for this system is around 600 EUR. BUT i see many cheaper alternatives in chinese websites, are they any good? Can I also fit rearview camera (currently I dont have one) into the android system?
- Last owner had fitted the mudflaps wrong - with loads and loads of regular white glue. I have removed the flaps, heated the glue, tried to get it off and succeeded on a certain level, but there are loads of bits still left on paint and moldings. Is there a secret way to remove that? Tried acetone and Whitespirit, didn't do much. Also my side moldings (at the middle of the door) are coming loose, and since I don't fancy the look of them, will remove those as well.

Are there any other things I should do ASAP to make the experience mor enjoyable? thank you a lot! Smile

Post #411296 12th Aug 2021 11:44 am
Chrism551

2012 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

You could look at powerful uk for the headlights and appropriate wiring conversion harnesses, facelift bumper and the like. They also do some really good YouTube videos on the stuff they sell and how to fit it. As an owner of an s model, I can sympathise with you for the lack of kit, however while some upgrades are easier being a base model ( Sound system etc) others are far from easy as most of the wiring harnesses are not present.

Post #411309 12th Aug 2021 5:57 pm
blaster1232

Latvia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Santorini Black

Thank you Chrism551 for reply! Yes, Powerful UK is a gem (apart from fuel filter change video... spent 90 minutes trying to revive my car after following their instructions and not vacuming the fuel filter). As for parts, I do see that they are selling a lot of stuff, and when ordering signature headlights, will definitely go for their looms, but im afraid that the headlights they are selling are for RHD. In regards to bumper - I already got/stole one from breakers for 80 eur. Some sanding, some filler, needed but since I enjoy the process - no problemo. Smile

Post #411310 12th Aug 2021 6:10 pm
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I can’t be 100% on this but I think I watched this video recently and I think Simon may have amended it in the commentary.

Post #411313 12th Aug 2021 7:59 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1