Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Freel2 Reliability
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

The unenviable poor reliability reputation that JLR currently has seems to stem from the vehicles that came after the Freelander 2.
Most of the problems one reads about being engine oil dilution in the Discovery Sport and a myriad of electrical issues in all the other models.

Its not so surprising really, cars have become very complex; the wiring diagram for my series 3 fits on half a page of A4. Everything can be tested with a bulb and a length of wire.
The Freelander 2 has 99 pages of wiring diagrams and needs in depth knowledge of a canbus etc etc !!. GOK how many pages there are for a FFR. Jules

Post #411283 11th Aug 2021 6:53 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Met my brother in law over the weekend. He has a 09 reg manual FL2 GS with 170k miles . Only problem has been the handbrake needed sorting (common problem) and now the key fob battery needs replacing. It's his daily runabout on and off the farm. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #411428 17th Aug 2021 7:39 am
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

--------- TOUCH WOOD ---------
(Although I say that I'm not superstitious, I am worried that I may change my (good) luck by posting this)

Over the last 9 years I have had 2 SD4 FL2s, which have been very reliable and have given me little cause for concern.

I did 50k miles in my XS, it did not fail to start or carry me where I wanted during that time.
Apart from servicing, it only required a battery, a set of tyres, a set of brake pads and discs, a door lock and the well known fuel tank rewire. It still looked imacculate inside and out when I part exchanged it.

My Metro has done nearly 40k miles and (again apart from servicing) has only needed a battery, a set of tyres, a windscreen (stone chip), and a fuse for the boot 12v socket.

I am very pleased with my Land Rover -- despite reading how bad JLR are for reliabilty.

PS having had to have new batteries on both cars, I can confirm that random odd problems on start-up is the symptom of a dying battery, and will give a false impression of how unreliable the FL2 can seem, --- until you fit a new battery. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #411451 17th Aug 2021 3:44 pm
shiggsy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

jules wrote:
The unenviable poor reliability reputation that JLR currently has seems to stem from the vehicles that came after the Freelander 2.

Don't think the Freelander 1 helped much. 
Hung like Einstein, smart as a horse.

Post #411453 17th Aug 2021 4:09 pm
Jagracer

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Bali Blue

What is reliabilty these days? I started riding motorbikes in 1964, when most cars were scrapped at 80k miles. Nobody would buy a cat with over 70k on the clock. One had to decoke the engine evey 40k miles, rebore at 60k. Rust finished them at 8 years old. The only bad Landrover I had was a P38 Rangerover. I have had five Rangerovers, all cost money. Currently I have two Freelander 2's. Both have problems, and I am currently replacing a hydraulic locked engine on the 2008 version. It was bought from auction with no history and 140k on the clock. Its had tyres, big service two years ago,ouch, Diff Assy rebuilt, brakes, and my daughter thinks maintenance is done by the Fairies at night. The other, I replaced all the naughty bits on purchase. No service history, non original engine, cost a lot in parts, but expected at 165k. I have just bought a 2011 Rangerover 4.4TDV8 on Ebay 174k miles. I expect it will need a full service and replacement ball joints. A heavy vehicle, but 35mpg. I wanted one before the milk floats take over and the roads are clogged with flat battery electric cars. An £83k car when new car for under 9k, can't be bad? I hope Boris raises Pensions next year to cover running a Landrover!

Post #411470 17th Aug 2021 8:20 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12