« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > When Engine Hot - Fumes in Cabin
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
ribama1

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
When Engine Hot - Fumes in Cabin

When ever we tow a caravan up hill and the engine gets hot we start to get fumes coming out the air vents. I have recently replaced the o-rings on the connection to the leak-off pipes and have confirmed that there is no diesel on the engine so this is not the source.
I guess it could be oil dripping down from the breather pipe onto a hot part of the turbo or engine but how do the fumes so easily get into the cabin even when the car is doing 100km/h.
I am going to do a degrease and change the clamps on the breather pipes but I was wondering if anyone had come across this and found a solution. The car has done this for the last 4 years but only when towing or going up really steep hills but it has to be a health hazard, even with the windows down. Please help.

Post #410878 1st Aug 2021 6:59 am
Rommel

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Fuji White

Could this be exhaust gases being blown in through the cabin fan due to turbulence of the air in between the car and caravan as it only happens when towing?? I would keep the windows up and make sure you have replaced the pollen filter and just have the recirculation fan on, the fact it only does it when towing and not at other times seem like the caravan is stopping the exhaust gases from blowing away from the rear of the car???? just a thought. 2013 FL2 XS.
Defender 90 300 TDi.
Defender 90 300 TDi CSW.
1964 MGB Roadster.
1944 Willys MB "Jeep" with bullet holes. (gone)
17 hand Irish Drought Thoroughbred (mostly lame)
Nagging Old Boiler.

Post #410885 1st Aug 2021 9:43 am
Dave47

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Izmir Blue

I've had the burnt oil smell on mine and I believe
it's caused by the oil residue from the large pipe at the back top
of the engine,
But I only notice it outside the car and after a long steep hill
or motorway dash, which would mean the turbo has worked harder and therefor got hotter!!
as said is your cabin filter in situ and clean? DAVE.
I.A.M. F1rst Driver.
Gone 2003 Discovery TD5 Auto,
Gone 1986 Defender 90 Station Wagon
Gone 1984 Range Rover 3.5 Vogue Manual.
Gone 1970 Series 11A/3 SWB 3.5 V8 Hybrid
Gone 1964 Series 11A LWB Van
Gone 1966 Series 11A SWB Van
Gone 1964 Series 11A LWB Station Wagon,

Post #410890 1st Aug 2021 11:49 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

The fumes could come in from the rear of the car. We have noticed in the outback with the red dust, if we put the ventilation on recirculation we get the dust smell in the car. If any window is open a bit air gets sucked out.

Best to close windows & have some air coming into the car through the ventilation & clean the filter a bit more often if needed.

Also when I have removed the boot trim panels there is a lot of red dust which has come in from the rear.

Also, make sure the rubber seal at the rear end of the bonnet is sealing properly. It divides the engine bay to the ventilation intake area.

Red dust shows where air comes into the cabin. Through door handles, around window trims, somewhere under the rear passenger door sills & boot as already noted. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #410893 1st Aug 2021 12:34 pm
ribama1

Rommel wrote:
Could this be exhaust gases being blown in through the cabin fan due to turbulence of the air in between the car and caravan as it only happens when towing??

That is a valid point thank you but I should have said is a low profile windup caravan (Jayco Eagle) and this seems to be more tied to engine temperature. I've been monitoring the engine and transmission temperatures and it only happens when the engine is hot. I do need to change the pollen filter though Thanks! Smile

Post #410920 1st Aug 2021 10:47 pm
ribama1

Dave47 wrote:
of the engine,
or motorway dash, which would mean the turbo has worked harder and therefor got hotter!!
as said is your cabin filter in situ and clean?

Our circumstances seem similar Dave. The fumes only start when engine is really hot... its almost like the fumes are being driven or sucked into the intake for the air vents. The pollen filter is about 3 years old. But this was happening when it was new also. Thanks for replying.

Post #410921 1st Aug 2021 10:52 pm
ribama1

Lightwater wrote:

Also, make sure the rubber seal at the rear end of the bonnet is sealing properly. It divides the engine bay to the ventilation intake area.

Red dust shows where air comes into the cabin. Through door handles, around window trims, somewhere under the rear passenger door sills & boot as already noted.

Its definitely coming in the vents. When the fumes first start we can just smell it (its not really strong) but when it gets really bad we can see it. Doing the degrease and sealing the breather pipes better will hopefully stop it, but I'm still concerned that something is not sealed as it should be. Your point about the rubber seal had me going, I wondered if the rubber seal at the back of the bonnet was missing but I checked and it looks to be in good shape. What is not in good shape is the battery cover. It looks to be a little warped and the seal on it is almost completely missing. I guess if there is plenty of fumes building up under the bonnet from oil leaking and hitting a hot part of the engine then the turbo fans going full blast could push fumes through there. But I guess if its that bad fumes will be escaping the front and side of the bonnet and getting to the intake grill. Am I correct the fresh air comes in over the bonnet and through intakes below the windscreen?

I'll let everyone know how I get on.

Post #410922 1st Aug 2021 11:09 pm
Lightwater

If you take the battery cover off, you can see the hole through the fire wall into the cabin for the ventilation.

Inlet almost in the middle of this photo.

Click image to enlarge

More photos behind the forward fire wall & windscreen.
https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic33026-54.html

The foam sealing on the underside of the plastic engine bay panel may have deteriorated as well. To get this off is an easy job but you do need to remove the windscreen wipers, which may need some careful persuasion. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #410942 2nd Aug 2021 10:18 am
Lightwater

ribama1 wrote:
Am I correct the fresh air comes in over the bonnet and through intakes below the windscreen?

In some respects. It's a pretty clever arrangement once you see what's going on underneath. Air first comes in on the left through the plastic grill around the cover for access to the brake fluid. Then below is a tray to drain water in the air away attached to the underside of the main panel, this unclips so can be cleaned.

After that air is drawn to the battery side of the car, this also helps circulate air around the battery to keep it cooler. Then sucked into the cabin.

This whole process changes air direction many times to throw off dust & pollen etc before it gets to the cabin air filter. This area in my car was absolutely filthy. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #410944 2nd Aug 2021 10:36 am
Dave47

ribama1 wrote:
Dave47 wrote:
of the engine,

Our circumstances seem similar Dave. The fumes only start when engine is really hot... its almost like the fumes are being driven or sucked into the intake for the air vents. The pollen filter is about 3 years old. But this was happening when it was new also. Thanks for replying.

All I can say is I get the smell after prolonged fast driving or hill work,
But do not get the smell in the cabin!!
So 2 issues is oil escape/misting and fume ingress into the cabin, DAVE.
I.A.M. F1rst Driver.

Post #410948 2nd Aug 2021 11:21 am
SimonB

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I had a problem with fumes in the car, but this was happening almost from start up, rather than only when engine very hot. Looking back at the work sheet it was found that the 'breather seal' was leaking, and all OK once the O ring was changed. I don't know if 'breather seal' is enough to identify the part/area.

Post #410949 2nd Aug 2021 11:55 am
Dave47

Lightwater wrote:

Click image to enlarge

The foam sealing on the underside of the plastic engine bay panel may have deteriorated as well. To get this off is an easy job but you do need to remove the windscreen wipers, which may need some careful persuasion.

Interesting, but I don't and I'm sure none of the earlier models have
that aperture. DAVE.
I.A.M. F1rst Driver.

Post #410953 2nd Aug 2021 12:50 pm
ribama1

Lightwater wrote:
ribama1 wrote:
Am I correct the fresh air comes in over the bonnet and through intakes below the windscreen?

In some respects. It's a pretty clever arrangement once you see what's going on underneath. Air first comes in on the left through the plastic grill around the cover for access to the brake fluid. Then below is a tray to drain water in the air away attached to the underside of the main panel, this unclips so can be cleaned.

After that air is drawn to the battery side of the car, this also helps circulate air around the battery to keep it cooler. Then sucked into the cabin.

This whole process changes air direction many times to throw off dust & pollen etc before it gets to the cabin air filter. This area in my car was absolutely filthy.

Thanks for all of this information you have opened a can of worms. Haldex is tomorrow, PTU drill drain and refill then degrease engine and jubilee clamp breather hose. After that I will perform the "lightwater" cabin air-intake super clean. I looked at your extraordinary sound proofing thread. I'll be doing some of this also. Thanks

Post #410997 3rd Aug 2021 9:35 am
ribama1

Dave47 wrote:
ribama1 wrote:
Dave47 wrote:
of the engine,

All I can say is I get the smell after prolonged fast driving or hill work,
But do not get the smell in the cabin!!
So 2 issues is oil escape/misting and fume ingress into the cabin,

Thats is great news, I believe, because this tread gives me hope I can seal the smell out of my cabin. I need to go to work on the battery box seals and check the seals on the plastic engine bay panel. Thanks Dave.

Post #410998 3rd Aug 2021 9:44 am
ribama1

SimonB wrote:
I had a problem with fumes in the car, but this was happening almost from start up, rather than only when engine very hot. Looking back at the work sheet it was found that the 'breather seal' was leaking, and all OK once the O ring was changed. I don't know if 'breather seal' is enough to identify the part/area.

Hi Simon the breather seal must just be the clip sealing the big black pipe at the back on the engine and the O rings I think are the o-rings on the diesel leak-off pipe connectors (with the green tabs). Thanks for looking at the work sheet.

Post #410999 3rd Aug 2021 9:48 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>