Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Rear strut replacement on my 07 HSE, recommendations
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Hoppo125

United Kingdom 
Rear strut replacement on my 07 HSE, recommendations

Hi. I've recently moved to Mid Devon and need to get a near side rear strut replaced in time for it's MOT.
Can anyone suggest a garage in Devon/Somerset and what I should expect to pay
TIA
Alan

Post #410638 25th Jul 2021 7:14 pm
Farmer Chalk

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Dynamic Auto Firenze Red

It’s quite a simple but convoluted job as you have to remove the strut from the wheel hub which entails removing the brake callipers and brake discs and releasing the bottom of the strut . The side panels in the boot need to be removed to get to the top mounts.

You should also replace both rear struts at the same time. The struts are about £100 each…

The garage may also face other issues. I recently replaced both of mine and in retrospect wished I had changed both rear springs and the top mounts at the same time as all were heavily corroded.

Unfortunately I couldn’t afford for the car to be off the road for another couple of days whilst waiting for the parts to arrive so had to re-use them.

So it depends on what else needs replacing…. But I would suspect a garage would charge something between 2-3 hours labour…. Don’t know what garages charge down your way…

Post #410641 25th Jul 2021 11:27 pm
p_gill

United States 2008 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

Mr. Chalk,

Can you be more specific?

Based on the diagram which items are you recommending?

Thanks

Paul

Post #410642 26th Jul 2021 4:12 am
Farmer Chalk

The top nut , 2 or 13 in the picture…., the top plate number 12, and the springs number 7, and the small bolt, number 5 which clamps the hub to the base of the strut.

I replaced the struts on a 13MYjust a couple of months ago…both had started leaking which is why I suggested doing both sides regardless…

What should be a fairly straightforward job turned out to be a git of a job. Firstly to split the hub you have to release the bolt (5) …. One of mine sheared as I tried to undo it… fortunately I had a spare one but that was first problem…then you have to get to the top bolts to release the strut from the above which entails taking the side panels out of the boot area.

The main issue I had was releasing the nut holding the top plate onto the strut. One came off easily but the other had welded itself onto the top plate by bimetallic corrosion. Despite having the right tools, I.e the correct strut top remover Allen key thingy there was no way I could break the seal. In the end I had to drill it out piece by piece. I couldn’t use heat because the top mount has a rubber centre…

Finally it came off…

When I checked the top mount and the springs the orifginal paint finish had long since disappeared and the items were quite corroded… in retrospect I would definitely order new ones and replace them but the car was in daily use and we couldn’t afford not to have the car in use for a couple of days waiting for parts…

Not saying that this will be the same with others but be prepared and it won’t be a horrible surprise..

Post #410646 26th Jul 2021 7:17 am
Farmer Chalk

As an aside I would also liberally spray anti seize fluid WD40 or Seafoam the day before particularly on the bolt clamping the hub and where the hub meets the strut to ease separating them.

Post #410647 26th Jul 2021 7:22 am
p_gill

United States 2008 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

Mr. Chalk,

That was exactly the information I was looking for.

Thanks

Paul

Alan,

There is a Thread for Independent shops.

I opened the thread and found this on page 1

To find this quickly I used the CTRL and F and when the search window popped up I entered Devon

Bogart wrote:
Just used Landrover4U near Honiton Devon no complaints.

Here is the link https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic23693.html?highlight=devon

Good luck

Paul

Post #410656 26th Jul 2021 4:18 pm
Hoppo125

United Kingdom 

Thanks guys. I know you should preferably change both at the same time, but the other side was changed 20k ago by previous owner so should be ok for a while.
I would of happily done the job myself a few years ago, but my days of crawling about under a car are now something I'm unable to do.
A local garage has quoted me £170 for the part and approx £70 - 100 fitting, all plus vat, over £300 seems quite a lot, or is it just me?
Will have to phone around a few garages.
Alan

Post #410708 28th Jul 2021 8:11 am
Badger51

Australia 

So they’re not really ripping you off for the part then! Rolling with laughter

https://www.advancedfactors.co.uk/front--r...1814-c.asp (Now Sold). 2008 Freelander 2 (Nazca Sand) SE TD4 Auto. Statutory write off & on WOVR for hail damage but still road legal.
171037Km as of 09/05/22
Superchips Bluefin Flash
Nanocom Evo II (also sold)

Post #410714 28th Jul 2021 9:27 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1