Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > What Car Next
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Chuckalicious

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

Oh yeah a good set of proper winters makes all the difference. I'm just scared to not have a 4x4 with the snow we can get here. And it's kinda hard to test theory.... Learned to drive in 2011.
Bought a Micra - great little car
"Upgraded" to Kia Sportage - hated it
Proper upgrade to FL2 TD4 GS 60 reg Facelift - tailgate paint issues, fuel gauge rewire, transfer box failure at 36k miles, clutch at 60k
Reconditioned diff at 70k ish
Sold at 84k and now on a DS. Terribly unreliable.
Sold DS for a 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Fingers crossed....
Sold Outlander for a 2014 SD4 SE Tech because I’m mental

Post #409862 7th Jul 2021 11:50 am
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

If you decide to try PHEVs or full EVs, I would suggest that you get a good long test drive in several different ones (from Main Dealers) and look at the different Owners Forums.

I was very interested in the Outlander PHEV in its early days, and found it a very different driving experience to my old faithful diesel FL2.

For instance the Outlander PHEV, is really fully electric driven by two 80hp motors, kept changed by a lower powered petrol motor.
However only half of the 160hp power is available from the battery, and the petrol motor keeps springing into action (with a slight delay) when say pulling out of a junction onto a main road, or roundabout.

I found it annoying at the time, but I suppose that given time I would have adjusted my driving to suit.

I suspect that something like the Volvo XC40 (or XC60) in their fully electric 4X4 forms are the ideal next step for me, although I will need to save up as EVs seem to be very expensive. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #409863 7th Jul 2021 12:46 pm
Chuckalicious

Yeah, my neighbour has the older PHEV Outlander and I have driven it once - thought it was nice. Might ask for another shot tonight to get a proper feel. And yes, the big badge full electrics are way out of my budget. Learned to drive in 2011.
Proper upgrade to FL2 TD4 GS 60 reg Facelift - tailgate paint issues, fuel gauge rewire, transfer box failure at 36k miles, clutch at 60k

Post #409864 7th Jul 2021 12:55 pm
IanMetro

Please be aware that although most diesel and petrol cars have similar basic architecture, different PHEV and EV cars vary greatly in motor layout and how the power reaches the wheels.

The Outlander PHEV was an early (and relatively unique) go at PHEV car architecture.

I joined that forum in the early years (Ian4x4) and found it very interesting as Mitsubishi had also published lots of the technical details of their ideas, and more importantly, seemed to react to owners concerns and observations, and update the the PHEV year by year. In the early years there appeared to be a lot of reverse engineering going on amongst the owners.

By about MY2017 (I think) the control of the battery management/EV use (EV only, Recharge Battery, etc) had been added or improved, and the interior was getting a bit more up to date.
This additional control does help, for example - Recharge Switch will keep the Petrol engine running to aid pulling out onto roundabouts quickly, or keeping the battery charged up when towing up long inclines.

I liked the Outlander PHEV because of its height and size was similar to the DS or FL2.

Have a look at the forum; see what they think about on going support and servicing,
and visit your nearest nominated workshop and see how long they think that they can support the Mitsi PHEV.

https://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/index.php FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)

Post #409867 7th Jul 2021 2:12 pm
Chuckalicious

Thanks for that. I'll have a good look around the forum.

My understanding is the latest/last Outlander PHEV has upgraded motors and a new engine which help somewhat with some of the gripes.

I have this horrible feeling the DS and it's wonderful interior have really turned me into a snob though Laughing Laughing Learned to drive in 2011.

Post #409869 7th Jul 2021 2:29 pm
Dartman the one

England 

Mitsubishi are terminating sales of all models in the autumn and handing sales and servicing to Renault with Renault marketing modified certain Renault models as Mitsubishi, not a good time to buy an Overlander Whistle my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #409870 7th Jul 2021 3:05 pm
IanMetro

Chuckalicious wrote:
Thanks for that. I'll have a good look around the forum.

My understanding is the latest/last Outlander PHEV has upgraded motors and a new engine which help somewhat with some of the gripes.

I have this horrible feeling the DS and it's wonderful interior have really turned me into a snob though Laughing Laughing

The Outlander with the larger torquier 2.4 engine is the one to go for, as it was introduced to try to keep the petrol engine revs down, making it a little quieter. I think that also a more powerful rear motor was introduced and maybe a little bit more battery capacity, along with other control and interior updates.

https://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.uk/cars/outlander-phev/engine

The forum has discussed the Mitsi Outlander PHEV before, more comments here;

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic27469.ht...p;start=30

PS It is not only the JLR interiors that I like, I became very addicted to the Dealer's Coffee Bars, complete with table service and posh biscuits.
I am hoping that this perk will return post-covid. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)

Post #409872 7th Jul 2021 5:08 pm
Chuckalicious

So I settled on a brand new Outlander PHEV. Absolutely love it. Already obsessed with seeing how far I can go on electric Laughing

It has made me realise how short my normal journeys are and how wasteful it has been doing it in a diesel DS.

I'll always be a Landy person. If I had infinite cash and the time to have things repaired, I'd have a Disco 4 any day. But that's not possible.

So once again, thanks for all the advice over the years. I've learned a huge amount and really appreciate everything everyone has contributed to this place. It's a wonderful resource for all FL2 owners. Learned to drive in 2011.

Post #409993 10th Jul 2021 9:02 pm
IanMetro

Enjoy your new car.

After a couple of weeks, before you finally leave, please can you post a picture of your new PHEV and perhaps a quick note on what you found the advantages (and dis advantages) are after the FL2. It will be a great help when I need to change in the future.

Best Wishes Ian

PS Don't get too hung up by being a super-miler. In the early days of the Mitsi PHEV some owners were so determined not to use the heating that they regularly wore a hat, coat, and gloves to drive around in. (over the top of several jumpers) FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)

Post #410000 10th Jul 2021 11:28 pm
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

If you want reliable 4X4 hybrid have a good look at the Toyota RAV4……..Toyota have been in the hybrid game longer than anyone and as for reliability it goes without saying.

It’s not nice to admit it but they have a great car there.

Edit…oops, I really ought to read to the end of a thread before commenting……glad you picked a car you now enjoy Thumbs Up Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #410001 11th Jul 2021 9:30 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12