Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Knocking N/S rear
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
rgtly

United Kingdom 
Knocking N/S rear

Evening all,

I have come across another issue that I think I have identified the cause of but need a little guidance on how to repair!

I have a knocking sound coming from near side rear when going over harsh bumps i.e. sunken drain covers etc. Having read numerous threads discussing similar sounds (e.g. this one https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic24349.html) I checked out the rubber weight/bumper thing on the rear shock and the one near side slides very easily up and down so I believe I just need to stop that happening.

People discuss using tiger seal to stop the movement. Could anybody provide me any idiots guide on what tiger seal is, where to buy and how and where to apply it? Easy detailed steps required please 🤪

Many thanks 🙏

Post #409330 23rd Jun 2021 8:36 pm
RichardMaby

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Ipanema Sand

To me that sounds suspiciously like a blown damper. Mine went on the off side rear last week after overloading it with Fencing supplies. It knocks around like a heavy lump of metal in a heavy tin can.

Try going over a speed bump or similar, look out for a slightly bouncy corner compared to the others.

You might also see damper oil in the arches, unless it's been happening for a while in which event it might have washed away.

Post #409404 25th Jun 2021 8:06 am
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Tiger seal is a mastic sealant applied using a cartridge gun, immensely strong when set. Great stuff. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #409407 25th Jun 2021 8:28 am
rgtly

United Kingdom 

RichardMaby wrote:
To me that sounds suspiciously like a blown damper. Mine went on the off side rear last week after overloading it with Fencing supplies. It knocks around like a heavy lump of metal in a heavy tin can.

Try going over a speed bump or similar, look out for a slightly bouncy corner compared to the others.

You might also see damper oil in the arches, unless it's been happening for a while in which event it might have washed away.

Thank you but I am 99% sure it is the rubber damper thing. Everything feels as it should when driving just this noise and the bit moves up and down freely (compared to the O/S which is static). No sign of oil in the arch either so hopefully not that 🤞🏻

Post #409433 25th Jun 2021 7:51 pm
rgtly

United Kingdom 

Bobupndown wrote:
Tiger seal is a mastic sealant applied using a cartridge gun, immensely strong when set. Great stuff.

Ah ok thank you. Do you know if it is similar to Sikaflex? My brother mentioned this as he didn’t know what Tiger Seal is!

Post #409434 25th Jun 2021 7:52 pm
Aveling

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Firenze Red

Yes it is

Post #409440 25th Jun 2021 9:00 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

rgtly wrote:
RichardMaby wrote:

Thank you but I am 99% sure it is the rubber damper thing. Everything feels as it should when driving just this noise and the bit moves up and down freely (compared to the O/S which is static). No sign of oil in the arch either so hopefully not that 🤞🏻

They only cost £20, so why bodge a repair. https://www.advancedfactors.co.uk/lr007800...8546-p.asp 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. My daily driver.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #409522 27th Jun 2021 6:49 pm
rgtly

United Kingdom 

Aveling wrote:
Yes it is

Thank you Thumbs Up

Post #409527 27th Jun 2021 9:29 pm
rgtly

United Kingdom 

Nodge68 wrote:
rgtly wrote:
RichardMaby wrote:

They only cost £20, so why bodge a repair. https://www.advancedfactors.co.uk/lr007800...8546-p.asp

Ah that was my other thought! If I could just replace it. Are they super easy to fit? Bearing in mind I have zero mechanical skills Laughing

Post #409528 27th Jun 2021 9:30 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1