« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Wheel fitment
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Chrism551

2012 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black
Wheel fitment

Evening people. I have a 2007 s model with the 16” rims and big balloon tyres, not ideal for towing a heavy van with squidgy side walls.I have just picked up some 18” wheels with winter continental tyres to swap out. Naturally, I won’t run the winter tyres in the summer but before replacing with all season tyres, I thought I’d try for size and fit. The question I have relates to the wheel hub size. Both are the same, but the 18’s have a chamfer on the centre bore whereas the 16’s are just square edged. The wheel seemed a touch baggy when mounted, although it was solid when bolted up. Should there be some sort of spigot ring to compensate for fir the chamfer. The other thing I noted was the locking wheel nuts protrude more as the wheel face is flatter than the old 16’s. A quick trip out, car seemed fine and dare I say it, a touch quieter than the originals .

Post #408820 8th Jun 2021 9:13 pm
riverblanche

England 

Hi,

every day a school day as I did not know the FL2 ever had 16" thought they were all a min of 17" Confused

and

why Not run the winters off through the summer Question

Thumbs Up .
my first ever FL2 and I did keep it longer than most other cars!
But its now gone way up Norf

Post #408821 8th Jun 2021 9:47 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Couple of points.
The 16" if memory serves me right are steel wheels, it is common for steel wheels to have a different profile where the nuts / bolts fit and so require different nuts / bolts. Using the wrong ones causes them to become slack during use.

The wheel center should fit on the boss on the wheel hub if it doesn't it suggests that the wheel is not suitable.

I towed 10s of thousands of miles on the 17" and as many on the 18" - didn't notice any difference. With a heavy trailer I would suggest that you check the weight on the towball, too little (ie less than 30kg) and the trailer can see-saw, too heavy (more than 150kg) and the tow hitch is overloaded. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #408827 9th Jun 2021 7:49 am
Chrism551

2012 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Standard 16” alloy rims on the s model. Centre bore is the same size, just has a chamfer. They came off a fl2 so I’m just flapping about nothing it seems.

Post #408831 9th Jun 2021 9:20 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Better safe than sorry Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #408832 9th Jun 2021 9:26 am
3landertwo

Andy131 wrote:
Couple of points.
The 16" if memory serves me right are steel wheels, it is common for steel wheels to have a different profile where the nuts / bolts fit and so require different nuts / bolts. Using the wrong ones causes them to become slack during use..

The 16" alloys were fitted to the poverty FL2.

The steel wheels are 17" and yes need the correct wheel nuts, NOT the same as the alloy nuts. I believe the steel wheels were a Ford design, used as a spare, although I have seen 17" steel with megga tread tyres fitted, look good.

I know of a guy who uses Winter tyres ......... all year round .

Post #408833 9th Jun 2021 10:31 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

It would be good to see some photos of the car with proper rims instead of 18 inch poodle rims.

16 inch rims are the standard for our corrugated roads. Often see them on LandCruisers etc towing 3 tonne+ caravans. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #408835 9th Jun 2021 10:59 am
ozjeff62

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Ipanema Sand
Re: Wheel fitment

Chrism551 wrote:
The wheel seemed a touch baggy when mounted, although it was solid when bolted up. Should there be some sort of spigot ring to compensate for fir the chamfer. The other thing I noted was the locking wheel nuts protrude more as the wheel face is flatter than the old 16’s. A quick trip out, car seemed fine and dare I say it, a touch quieter than the originals .

I'm not sure what you mean by the description the wheel seemed baggy.

The centre hole on the wheel makes no difference, it is friction generated by the wheel nuts that keeps the wheel attached to the hub.

Therefore it is the wheel nuts that are the important factor here - and steel wheels need a different nut to alloy wheels. Their shoulders have a different profile so as Andy131 said you need to change them over. MY11 SD4 SE Auto

Post #408842 9th Jun 2021 1:22 pm
3landertwo

"....... The centre hole on the wheel makes no difference, it is friction generated by the wheel nuts that keeps the wheel attached to the hub......"

I'm not sure I agree with that statement. The purpose of the hole in the wheel and the flange on the hub is to keep the wheel concentric.

Post #408858 9th Jun 2021 5:28 pm
ozjeff62

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Ipanema Sand

I understand it's controversial. I did a lot of research about the centre bore size when I fitted different wheels to an old Ford I have, and then again when I fitted the Volvo wheels to the Freeo.

The centre bore can certainly help making the wheel concentric to a degree, but it only has to be half a millimetre different in diameter to no longer have any role in doing that.

Fit your wheel and put in just one wheel nut. If you see any amount of play in the position of the wheel until you put in another wheel nut and tighten to final specs then it is not a factor. The shoulders on the nuts fitting determine concentricity.

It has no role in load bearing - the bore would have to be so fine in tolerance you'd need a tool get the wheel onto the hub.

I guess I was finally convinced by my 66 VW Beetle. To be sure, a lightweight vehicle. However it is just a good example on a ridiculous scale to show the principles I'm talking about.

However, there is a lot of discussion about the whole topic and I wouldn't go to the stake about it.

YMMV. JMHO. MY11 SD4 SE Auto

Post #408876 10th Jun 2021 2:04 am
Lightwater

Andy131 wrote:
too heavy (more than 150kg) and the tow hitch is overloaded.

Australia can have up to 350kg. But it is impractical as the payload is 500kg & you also need to watch the rear axle load as it is pretty limited. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #408877 10th Jun 2021 3:32 am
Lightwater

You need the correct nuts for various wheels. The correct nut on a M14 class 8.8 stud tightened up to the correct Nm will have a clamping force of about 5 tonnes & there are 5 studs. So about 25 tonnes clamping force holding the rim in place. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #408878 10th Jun 2021 4:15 am
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

ozjeff62 wrote:
I understand it's controversial. I did a lot of research about the centre bore size when I fitted different wheels to an old Ford I have, and then again when I fitted the Volvo wheels to the Freeo.

The centre bore can certainly help making the wheel concentric to a degree, but it only has to be half a millimetre different in diameter to no longer have any role in doing that.

Fit your wheel and put in just one wheel nut. If you see any amount of play in the position of the wheel until you put in another wheel nut and tighten to final specs then it is not a factor. The shoulders on the nuts fitting determine concentricity.

It has no role in load bearing - the bore would have to be so fine in tolerance you'd need a tool get the wheel onto the hub.

I guess I was finally convinced by my 66 VW Beetle. To be sure, a lightweight vehicle. However it is just a good example on a ridiculous scale to show the principles I'm talking about.

However, there is a lot of discussion about the whole topic and I wouldn't go to the stake about it.

YMMV. JMHO.

Interesting topic and probably one which could be discussed til eternity. My query is why do aftermarket wheel manufacturers supply spigot rings to change the size of the original hub centre to match their wheel centres if there is no requirement for them? Not to start an argument, just curious. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #408901 10th Jun 2021 5:11 pm
Linds Hanson

England 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Dynamic Auto Firenze Red

3landertwo wrote:
"....... The centre hole on the wheel makes no difference, it is friction generated by the wheel nuts that keeps the wheel attached to the hub......"

I'm not sure I agree with that statement. The purpose of the hole in the wheel and the flange on the hub is to keep the wheel concentric.
Agreed Thumbs Up

Post #409059 14th Jun 2021 2:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Dave47

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Izmir Blue

Lightwater wrote:
It would be good to see some photos of the car with proper rims instead of 18 inch poodle rims.

16 inch rims are the standard for our corrugated roads. Often see them on LandCruisers etc towing 3 tonne+ caravans.

Probably a tyre with a heavier side wall, that would give better stability
for towing whilst still providing cushioning on corrugations.
Dave DAVE.
I.A.M. F1rst Driver.
Gone 2003 Discovery TD5 Auto,
Gone 1986 Defender 90 Station Wagon
Gone 1984 Range Rover 3.5 Vogue Manual.
Gone 1970 Series 11A/3 SWB 3.5 V8 Hybrid
Gone 1964 Series 11A LWB Van
Gone 1966 Series 11A SWB Van
Gone 1964 Series 11A LWB Station Wagon,

Post #409060 14th Jun 2021 4:45 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>