Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Faulty wiper stalk - FIXED
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
rgtly

United Kingdom 
Faulty wiper stalk - FIXED

Firstly as a new member and FL2 owner I would like to say hello πŸ‘‹

I recently purchased a 2008 FL2 HSE TD4 and have come across a fault with the screen wash. I have read some threads on here and have come to the conclusion that I probably have a faulty wiper stalk but would like to clarify this before I go buying one! And I also have a question on compatibility.

So, the fault is that when I press the button on the end of the stalk to wash the front screen/headlights nothing happens. If I pull the stalk toward me to wash the rear window, the front washer jets fire up along with the rear wipers! Does this sound like a fault with the stalk? The wipers themselves are all operating as expected.

I have found a couple of stalks for sale but they are both listed for the 2010-2014 model. They do say they fit the 2008 but would like to check this. Is there any difference other than styling?

Many thanks in advance 😊

PS - if anyone has a link to instructions for dummies on how to replace the wiper stalk I would be ever so grateful πŸ™

Last edited by rgtly on 20th Jun 2021 1:49 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #408786 7th Jun 2021 8:12 pm
Grue

New Zealand 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Sumatra Black

The stalks are not the easiest things to take apart, (or put back together) but the button on the end has a little wire connector that could be worth checking. Risks damaging the stalk, but if you were going to replace it anyway....

When i got my car the stalk end had been pulled off completely. Was fiddly to get the wire plugged back in and the end clipped in again, but not a huge deal.

Post #408787 7th Jun 2021 8:39 pm
PRadd

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Dynamic Manual Santorini Black

Mine is a 2014 and works differently to yours as you describe it - pulling the stalk back fires the front screen washers and headlight washers (I presume - never actually looked) only - the button on the end fires the rear screen washer only - so sounds like your year works differently if you are supposed to use the button on the end for front washers and a pull back to do the rears. Are you sure this is how they are supposed to work on your year model? 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Manual Dynamic
1956/7 88" Series One Land Rover
1956/7 88" Series One Land Rover - undergoing restoration

Post #408856 9th Jun 2021 4:16 pm
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

MY2007 GS and the button on the end of the wiper stalk washes and wipes the front screen and washes the lights if on and the logic decides they need washing. Pulling back on the stalk firstly wipes the rear screen. Pull back against the spring then washes the screen. Unless you push the stalk to its forward position the rear wiper wipes intermittently.

Post #408865 9th Jun 2021 7:20 pm
rgtly

United Kingdom 

According to the manual it is supposed to operate the front jets with the end button and the rear jets with pulling the stalk. Apparently the 2008 does work opposite to the later models πŸ€·πŸ»β€β™€οΈ And the rear wiper operates when the stalk is pulled towards me so I would assume it should fire the rear jet with that as I shouldn’t wipe a dry screen.

I think I will have to punt for a new stalk (which may operate as your 2014?) and just hope it works! Just worried about compatibility and ease of changing for a total novice πŸ˜‚

Post #408866 9th Jun 2021 7:25 pm
rgtly

United Kingdom 

BossBob wrote:
MY2007 GS and the button on the end of the wiper stalk washes and wipes the front screen and washes the lights if on and the logic decides they need washing. Pulling back on the stalk firstly wipes the rear screen. Pull back against the spring then washes the screen. Unless you push the stalk to its forward position the rear wiper wipes intermittently.

Yes this is the way I would expect them to work going by the manual however the front jet fires when the stalk is pulled back along with the rear wiper and the end button does nothing! I can’t get the rear jets to fire at all πŸ€·πŸ»β€β™€οΈ

Post #408867 9th Jun 2021 7:28 pm
rgtly

United Kingdom 

Grue wrote:
The stalks are not the easiest things to take apart, (or put back together) but the button on the end has a little wire connector that could be worth checking. Risks damaging the stalk, but if you were going to replace it anyway....

When i got my car the stalk end had been pulled off completely. Was fiddly to get the wire plugged back in and the end clipped in again, but not a huge deal.

I don’t think I am remotely capable of taking it apart let alone putting it back together πŸ˜‚ I think if the stalk is faulty I will just replace. I really wanted to check if others agree it sounds like the stalk and if so if the 2010 one is actually compatible.

Post #408868 9th Jun 2021 7:30 pm
rgtly

United Kingdom 
Update

So I bought and fitted a replacement wiper stalk (removed from a 2007 GS) and all functions now work however the front and rear jets are reversed. So the end button fires the rear jet and pulling the stalk towards me fires the front jets not the opposite as described in the manual. I assumed as the replacement came off a 2007 that the functions would work as expected πŸ€·πŸ»β€β™€οΈ

Do I have to assume that the donor vehicle also had a later replacement stalk fitted or is there something else going on?!

Oh, and I have also discovered that he rear jet fires uselessly off the back of the car πŸ˜‚ Can I do anything about that? The manual says that the rear jet cannot be adjusted!

Any help would be greatly appreciated πŸ™

Post #409092 16th Jun 2021 10:59 am
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

If you take the top stop light out the jet may just want re seating.

Post #409093 16th Jun 2021 11:21 am
BossBob

The outlets from the washer bottle are the wrong way around! Just swap them.

Post #409096 16th Jun 2021 12:54 pm
rgtly

United Kingdom 

SYFL2 wrote:
If you take the top stop light out the jet may just want re seating.

Thank you. Having had a look I think the nozzle is actually broken so will order a new one πŸ‘πŸ»

Post #409098 16th Jun 2021 1:12 pm
rgtly

United Kingdom 

BossBob wrote:
The outlets from the washer bottle are the wrong way around! Just swap them.

I was just chatting with a neighbour and he suggested this! So thank you πŸ™ Now to find the outlets πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Post #409099 16th Jun 2021 1:13 pm
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Well that’s 2 easy fixes there well done Thumbs Up

Post #409101 16th Jun 2021 2:12 pm
rgtly

United Kingdom 

Easy fixes are about all I can manage! But there is a sense of satisfaction in doing it myself 😁

I am struggling to work out how to get to the washer reservoir outlets though. Can anyone advise? Do I need to remove the bumper or is there access somehow?

Post #409108 16th Jun 2021 6:56 pm
BossBob

The workshop manual goes in through the wheel arch. There should be a section at the front that is removable.

Post #409113 17th Jun 2021 5:26 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>