Home > Maintenance & Modifications > New boost hose now lacking grunt
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
LUKBENPHI

United Kingdom 
New boost hose now lacking grunt

Evening.

As above really I changed the boost hose/pie from manifold to the intercooler after the small manifold pipe split, did the whole lot as:
A) didn’t know the condition of the rest of the pipe &
B) no local stockist had the small pipe without a 2 day wait when I needed the car for work so has to buy the full pipe at £50 something

Note: it was Britpart replacement and not genuine LR car only drive approx 6 miles with the split pipe to fetch the new part (que smokescreen Shocked )

However now it seems to lack boost/ increased turbo lag with little to no grunt before 1500-1700 rpm, then it’s pretty much normal to the redline, where as prior to hose giving up it would do low rpm steep lanes in 3rd easily (not my normal style just seeing if it would do it ) now 2nd is required.

There’s no excessive smoke ( or anything for that matter), no lights on the dash, no loud hissing / boost escaping noises that I’m aware off all hoses are tight. Full service ( bar fuel filter as not had time to do it) recently done, all brakes are free and we’re stripped, cleaned and copper greased including slide pins only last week, no clutch slip and no charge in mpg, holding steady at 31.4 ( it’s hilly in Peak District )

Prior to this ran fine and pulled well

Only thoughts so far is either the Britpart plastic section of the hose being a different diameter internally to the genus one restricting performance ??

Hose is expanding under load ??

Driving the 6 miles belching out smoke has made the ecu retard things and it hasn’t changed since???

Blocked air filer? Not checked yet just struck me now as typing???

Was over boosting before hose failed and now it’s as it should be??

Any help welcome.

Thanks

Phil

P.S

Censored are normally my last choice of parts to fit but was only thing available

Post #407939 17th May 2021 11:50 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

The cheap plastic sections split on the seems. I've seen a few that split the moment boost comes up so might want to check that. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ionic 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #407945 18th May 2021 7:43 am
gasman

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Check for codes. There may be something related to your smokey drive that is holding you back. Now at the point when I learn something new something old is lost out the other side !
Now retired so it doesn't matter anymore.
Freelander now gone.

Post #407950 18th May 2021 8:39 am
LUKBENPHI

United Kingdom 

Been through it this afternoon, no codes according to my code reader, all boost hoses in reach are tight and no sign of any cracks on the plastic pipes, I’ve cleaned the pipe to I can see if it does split will be checking the underneath boost hoses at th weekend.

Air filter dry and clean and no blockages

Post #407980 18th May 2021 5:02 pm
davyboy

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Bit of a coincidence tho, try a fuel filter, try and get a fuel sample hence contaminated fuel? Morrison’s had a contaminated fuel issue last week.

Reference the hoses they do sometimes split when clamps are over tightened, while the engines idling spray if at all possible some easy start on each hose joint, wd40 might work to test for leaks. Engine speeds up if the chemicals leak in through split hoses.

No faults is a bit daunting, check sensors for security

Again a coincidence like gasman cleaned out the turbo vanes with oven cleaner, but I would go with fuel filter and or air leakage.

Post #407992 18th May 2021 9:55 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LUKBENPHI

United Kingdom 

Fuel filters there sat in the garage waiting to get the tools to bleed it all up and with work how it is I’ve not got time to scratch my backside

Will go round it later with some wd40 to see good shout on that one i forgot about that trick.

It does seem a coincidence, if someone didn’t know they would say it was fine but having driven before and after I know, still perfectly driveable.

If it doesn’t leak I’ll try to find time to swap the plastic pipes back over as well as the fuel filter.

Post #408156 22nd May 2021 3:38 pm
LUKBENPHI

United Kingdom 

No sign of any leaks using a flammable furniture polish as no wd40 to hand on top hoses

Vacuum bulb ordered to change diesel filter

In other news it’s in for its cambelt and water pump this Thursday as 10k over due

Post #408310 26th May 2021 3:48 pm
LUKBENPHI

United Kingdom 

Well the fuel bleed bulb turned out to be chineasium in quality so needed to drown the fuel filter to bleed it before fitting it.

Still the same definitely still lacking some low down grunt

In other other news garage that did the cambelt also diagnosed a fubared rear diff causing a whine I’ve been hearing whine not the pinion bearing so a trip to Bell Engineering spears to be on the cards. Big Cry

Post #408446 30th May 2021 4:48 pm
LUKBENPHI

United Kingdom 

Well I sort of solved this issue now Complete by accident as a matter of
Fact.

Parked nose down hill at a builders merchants and I came back to a puddle of oil under the car which definitely wasn’t there before I parked up.

Got home and inspected it to find the bottom boost hose was dripping so I removed the jubilee clip and re tightend which solved that bit of the issue but the oil seemed to be seeping though the different layers of the boost hose itself so that will be replaced sooner also.

Thought it prudent to recheck the others and found on undoing the top boost hose from the plastic pipe to find that the plastic pipe had distorted due to the lack of a metal ring inside the pipe like on a genuine pipe ( this is Britpart) so this whole time boost had been seeping out from Between the hose layers at the bottom and via the bent pipe at the top, thankfully I’d kept the plastic pipe off the original so that went back on and low and behold boost has been restored.

Note to self… don’t buy Britpart again…..

Post #411911 31st Aug 2021 3:31 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1