Print this entire topic · 
Arese

Morocco 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black
"extreme" Off road

Impressive capabilities !

Post #407615 11th May 2021 11:24 pm
SteveC

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Blimey. The roads in Woburn Safari Park have got a bit rough since the last time I was there... Steve

2008 TD4 HSE Auto, Zermatt Silver

Post #407619 12th May 2021 8:12 am
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

That's not extreme, that's Lightwater's commute home.😄 Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #407621 12th May 2021 9:27 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Looks like road tyres on the car. The problem we have is people put 37 inch tyres on & a 2 inch lift, destroy the track & no one else can use it. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #407672 13th May 2021 7:31 am
Jack frost

United Kingdom 

What makes me shudder is one day that car will be on a used car lot FOR SALE “one carful owner never been off road” Thud Thud

Post #407681 13th May 2021 10:03 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Its not the one careful owner that you should worry about, it's the three nutters who had it as a company car and treated it like a dustbin/creche/defender. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #407683 13th May 2021 10:26 am
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

I also watched a couple of the other videos that came up with this clip.

I am always impressed with watching the FL2s ability to brake/release the individual wheels as the grip levels/axle load changes.

Although my FL2 never gets the chance to properly show me what it can cope with, I am always thankful for the safe feeling of stability and control I get in all weathers and on all surfaces.

My wife and I noticed how good the FL2 was within a couple of days of owning our first one, when we had to travel across country to meet a relative on a very dark, wet and wind night. Apart from anything else the visibility above the rain and spray, enhanced the feeling of security. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #407729 14th May 2021 11:39 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

There is a reason that many people stick with Land Rovers, despite the sometimes variable reliability, the dealerships attitude and the high running costs. No I am not talking about blind patriotism - which might be true in my case.
They make genuine 4x4s the newer ones (yes including the FL2) can actually lull you into a false sense of security, the 4x4 systems work, the traction aids work, the elevated driving position helps with spray, traffic, and visibility - both over hedges and other motorists seeing you.

Driven icy roads that OK you knew were icy as you could hear the traction aids cutting in, but getting out and then falling on your Censored brings it home how well the car has done to get you there. Dragging vehicles several times the FL2 (and DS) weight out of harms way without a hint of trouble is impressive.
But for me the most impressive act was when someone rear ended me while I was stationary on the M56, completely destroyed the Nissan Almeria, and I drove home.
If my family are involved in a road traffic accident I want them to be in a Land Rover, I don't care who's fault it is I just want them as safe as can be. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her

Post #407732 14th May 2021 1:25 pm
CED

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Bali Blue

Andy 132 The reason why the Almera was a total was because the front end of all cars are designed to crumble to absorb energy. I was rear ended by exactly the same type of car . It hit my Ford Connect van , I had a new door and bumper, but car was crunched back to the crossways engine.

Post #407751 14th May 2021 5:41 pm
Dartman the one

England 

I think there is a difference between crumple and repair against compact and scrap Laughing my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #407753 14th May 2021 6:32 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

We were doing well over 70mph.
Because of the elevated driving position I could see well ahead and stopped 6-8ft short of the car in front. The Almeria didn't brake until well too late, he submarined. Literally he went underneath the FL2, the towbar acting as a guide. When he came to rest my towball was through his windscreen and the FL2 was sitting on his bonnet. I drove off his bonnet, checked he was OK and towed what was left onto the hard shoulder.

Granted the front is designed to crumple, and the rear is not so I should always have come off better, but the Almeria wasn't crumpled so much as destroyed. There is no joy in that fact, you have to thank the designer of the Almeria in so much as the driver was OK, very shaken, but physically OK, when I first started driving crumple zones were unheard of, he would have been seriously/fatally injured. The airbags gave me a fright, I opened his door and thought to drag him out as I thought that the car was on fire - airbags being deployed filled the cabin with smoke. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her

Post #407762 14th May 2021 8:05 pm
CED

Dartman, And your point is, ever seen a Freelander that has rear ended another car , doesn’t need much to declare the car right off

Last edited by CED on 14th May 2021 8:28 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #407763 14th May 2021 8:09 pm
CED

Andy131 wrote:
We were doing well over 70mph.
Because of the elevated driving position I could see well ahead and stopped 6-8ft short of the car in front. The Almeria didn't brake until well too late, he submarined. Literally he went underneath the FL2, the towbar acting as a guide. When he came to rest my towball was through his windscreen and the FL2 was sitting on his bonnet. I drove off his bonnet, checked he was OK and towed what was left onto the hard shoulder.

Granted the front is designed to crumple, and the rear is not so I should always have come off better, but the Almeria wasn't crumpled so much as destroyed. There is no joy in that fact, you have to thank the designer of the Almeria in so much as the driver was OK, very shaken, but physically OK, when I first started driving crumple zones were unheard of, he would have been seriously/fatally injured. The airbags gave me a fright, I opened his door and thought to drag him out as I thought that the car was on fire - airbags being deployed filled the cabin with smoke.

Much the same as what happened to me , only difference I was stopped at a red light, Almera screaming up behind with tyres smoking, and bang .

Post #407764 14th May 2021 8:14 pm
Dartman the one

England 

CED wrote:
Dartman, And your point is, ever seen a Freelander that has rear ended another car , doesn’t need much to declare the car right off

Just about any car except probably those pushing ÂŁ100,000, that have a frontal with the airbags triggered is a write off for insurance purposes, not sure whether this was the original conception of safety zones and passenger safety, something has been lost. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #407766 14th May 2021 8:37 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Not to forget that the Freelander has a 600kg advantage over the Almeria. A bit like a disagreement between the mass of your foot & an aluminium can! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #407768 14th May 2021 8:52 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>