Print this entire topic · 
3landertwo

Self Driving Cars in the UK - Only ALKS

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-56906145

Post #407119 28th Apr 2021 9:45 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

UK rules would be ok in Australia!

'The Department for Transport said automated lane-keeping systems (ALKS) would be the first type of hands-free driving legalised.

The technology controls the position and speed of a car in a single lane but only up to speeds of 37mph (60km/h)
'

Australian single lane road. You only drive at 37mph as you have let the tyres down for the corrugations (we averaged about 50kph on this road due to road conditions).

It would be interesting if the automated system can see the edge of the road, can purposely wander all over the road to avoid the largest corrugations & the odd large stone & holes filled will bulldust (a very fine & very light dust that you can't see a hole in the road, a car can disappear).

Click image to enlarge
 Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #407121 28th Apr 2021 10:33 am
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

The ALKS on our Mazda CX5 is pretty smart, being able to keep the vehicle on the correct side of the road, even if there are no lines for the camera to follow.
I do however have the system turned off, as it's just far to eager to intervene, which is especially annoying on twisty roads. Unfortunately the safety systems cannot be fully turned off, so it still vibrates the steering wheel and put a line crossed warning on the HUD, but at least it the automatic correction can be disabled.
I find the autonomous braking a real pain too, as it's again too eager to warn of an issue, even though as the driver, I've already calculated the vehicle in the way will be gone before I get to it. I've had the braking autonomous brakes come on on 3 occasions, none of which were needed, which is very annoying. The autonomous braking system can't be turned off, only reduced in sensitivity.

I personally prefer to be in control of the vehicle, rather than having a computer taking control without my consent. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ionic 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #407124 28th Apr 2021 11:20 am
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Neighbour of relatives in Switzerland had a Tesla and went out in that a few years back and it's a little unnerving going round the mountain passes at speed without him intervening; thankfully he had more confidence in the car than his three 'newbie' passengers.

Post #407128 28th Apr 2021 5:18 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Sounds almost like a case of "my father died peacefully in his sleep, unlike his passengers at the time" 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #407148 29th Apr 2021 10:12 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Nodge68 wrote:
The ALKS on our Mazda CX5 is pretty smart, being able to keep the vehicle on the correct side of the road, even if there are no lines for the camera to follow.
I do however have the system turned off, as it's just far to eager to intervene, which is especially annoying on twisty roads. Unfortunately the safety systems cannot be fully turned off, so it still vibrates the steering wheel and put a line crossed warning on the HUD, but at least it the automatic correction can be disabled.
I find the autonomous braking a real pain too, as it's again too eager to warn of an issue, even though as the driver, I've already calculated the vehicle in the way will be gone before I get to it. I've had the braking autonomous brakes come on on 3 occasions, none of which were needed, which is very annoying. The autonomous braking system can't be turned off, only reduced in sensitivity.

I personally prefer to be in control of the vehicle, rather than having a computer taking control without my consent.

Had a hire car, a new RAV4 (IIRC), in NZ last Jan.
We had right of way at a cross roads. A car accelerated hard and pulled across us from right to left - plenty of room. Our car's system registered that the car was suddenly in front of us and not moving away (as it was moving left to right) and promptly hit the brakes very hard. I remember clearly looking in the mirror and praying the logging lorry behind us didnt hit us as I'm sure he would not have expected us to brake so hard. Rather scary.

These systems work in standardised conditions but the driver needs to be fully alert at all times - this will not happen if the driver has tasks that keep him/her alert removed from them.
Maybe automated systems will save lives but they will also introduce deaths through incidents of their own making - its all a question of overall risk/benefit. Jules

Post #407149 29th Apr 2021 10:58 am
sid

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

but where are you going lightwater,up that track?

Post #407163 29th Apr 2021 8:25 pm
Lightwater

sid wrote:
but where are you going lightwater,up that track?
Going to Lake Eyre.

Well sign posted roads.
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #407168 29th Apr 2021 11:30 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Really really worries me.

I write software for machinery for a living, take automated cranes for an example, these things go down an aisle, lift up in the air (10m+), pick or place a pallet and come back to the beginning of the aisle to pick or place another pallet, once the aisle is done they leave the aisle, and go into another aisle and repeat.

A very controlled environment. There are three types of crane, manual, sem-auto, fully auto.
Easiest by far is fully auto - it's a controlled environment with a limited number of scenarios.
Next is manual, you still have safety checks, don't want a 15 tonne crane leaving the aisle with the cab/weight at the top as it will fall over - but drivers can be inventive if they think that they can beat the system and speed up the process.
Semi-Auto is a real pain, it is running in auto with a driver able to override, you have to think of everything that a driver might conceivably do in every situation. Drivers can be inventive / dumb in equal measure and the accidents that they cause you wouldn't believe - they still surprised me after 10 years. It takes 5-10 times longer to write semi-auto software.

Now add a very uncontrolled environment, with pedestrians, animals, cyclists as well as vehicles. Now add weather and varying light levels. Differing road conditions and speeds, sometimes manual vehicles traveling at twice the expected speed.

Most of us have been driving for years, learning as we go, and can still be surprised / shocked at some of the antics we see - how on earth can this be programmed?

If automated driving systems were reliable, then the requirement for third party insurance would be waived, the car (not you remember) would never have an accident.

Automated Emergency Braking, or even ABS as an addition to the drivers experience - yes please, but as a replacement to a driver Laughing Laughing Laughing Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #407171 30th Apr 2021 9:51 am
Lightwater

We stop & pick up a lot of these lizards or similar off the road, which can be pretty hard to see. The look like a stick on the road. They are extremely slow moving. We also stop to let snakes cross the road which are mostly slow & look like a branch or stringy piece of bark.

Post #407174 30th Apr 2021 11:53 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Hello Bluey Jules

Post #407180 30th Apr 2021 5:06 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1