« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Reduced engine performance
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Bogart

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey
Reduced engine performance

Yes I know an old cherry on here but I have a different take. Three weeks ago I posted that the Freelander had died on my wife as she was driving to Lidl. Just cut out about 1/4 mile from home. On trying to restart got the reduced engine performance message. After a lot of huffing and puffing got her started and got her back home. The OBD showed nothing. The battery voltage was a bit down and did not seem to charge on the workbench very well so fitted a new battery.
Been fine , yesterday I did over 100 miles , longest run for ages, and no problems at all.
Now here is the funny bit got an exact repeat this morning as she heads off for , you guessed it, Lidl. Car stalled in exact same spot give or take 30 yards. Same reduced engine performance message. This morning I managed to get her back with less engine start attempts. Again OBD shows nothing. Fuel filter was changed less than 2k miles ago.
What bemuses me is what have Lidl and my wife got in common to cause this? Between the two incidents she has driven fine on various trips out and as I say yesterday over 100 miles no problem.
And I know is not a Lidl problem as she went there last week. I am at a bit of a loss as to where to start. I find very strange it
is a mirror occurrence.

Post #406905 22nd Apr 2021 11:45 am
Aveling

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Firenze Red

Send her to Waitrose in the future Rolling with laughter

Post #406913 22nd Apr 2021 2:32 pm
merlinj79

United States 2008 LR2 i6 S Auto Tambora Flame

On military bases in the US, some cars have problems from EMF from various radars or communications systems. Usually that means the remote key won't open the door but I've seen it where cars with proximity keys won't start either. Then you just have to wait a while and hope they turn the stuff later, I learned to rent really cheap cars with mechanical keys.

If it keeps happening in the same spot, I'd start to wonder.

Post #406915 22nd Apr 2021 2:50 pm
Bogart

Aveling wrote:
Send her to Waitrose in the future Rolling with laughter

What do you think we are made of money? Rolling Eyes

Post #406921 22nd Apr 2021 7:08 pm
Bogart

merlinj79 wrote:
On military bases in the US, some cars have problems from EMF from various radars or communications systems. Usually that means the remote key won't open the door but I've seen it where cars with proximity keys won't start either. Then you just have to wait a while and hope they turn the stuff later, I learned to rent really cheap cars with mechanical keys.

Interesting hypothesis. It does not explain though that the car leaves home and passes that spot a few times a week and the only times it has misbehaved is on the shopping trips driven by the boss. I have thought about such as crankshaft sensors etc but if one of those was at fault I would expect randomly placed faults and the OBD, two different ones in fact, reports nothing.

Post #406934 23rd Apr 2021 9:27 am
bomeo

Romania 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Galway Green

UFO activity in zone

Post #406936 23rd Apr 2021 11:09 am
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Bogart wrote:
merlinj79 wrote:

Interesting hypothesis. It does not explain though that the car leaves home and passes that spot a few times a week and the only times it has misbehaved is on the shopping trips driven by the boss. I have thought about such as crankshaft sensors etc but if one of those was at fault I would expect randomly placed faults and the OBD, two different ones in fact, reports nothing.

I was never able to central lock my Impreza at a local Sainsburys and had similar issues when visiting Beachy Head. Told by locals it was down to local telegraphy - a nearby telephone exchange and wireless equipment. As much as she might not like it, try shopping elsewhere for a while

Post #406937 23rd Apr 2021 12:05 pm
SWalker

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Barolo Black

this all sounds familiar - was it a post on here same sort of thing car stops at same spot give or take - turned out to be a hump back bridge and a loose wire or leaky boost pipe? something of that nature. does the good wife labor the engine or drive it funny - don't tell her i said that lol.
I got accused of looking all round me and not paying attention to the road, left me a bit confused, she told me again to keep my eyes on the road as i was checking the mirrors at a junction.... Stewart
2007 Freelander 2 SE TD4
2007 A6 quattro 3.0 TDI Manual
1986 coupe quattro (kv) square wheels.
1972 mini 1400 100BHP A series

Post #406938 23rd Apr 2021 12:14 pm
Bogart

I would say it was her, car and her driving if she had not gone to Lidl since with no problem.
I have delved into the OBD codes and have the common B10A2-00 crash code
Seems a common code that people seem to get on a non starting problem. My girl , the car, starts every time no problem.
I have yet to experience this cutting out . Test driven it around a field we have to see if vaguely possible poor connection but no problem.
I cannot erase this code fault as evidenced by others in same boat needs something a bit more sophisticated than my Autel AP200.

Post #406939 23rd Apr 2021 1:41 pm
merlinj79

United States 2008 LR2 i6 S Auto Tambora Flame

Bogart wrote:
merlinj79 wrote:

A hypothetical emitter might not be active all the time (or at the the same power, freq, waveform), and varied atmospheric conditions and time of day will affect RF transmission.

It's one thing to interfere with a remote key fob, that's common enough but it would be quite another to actually interfere with the vehicle's wired systems... that would take a lot of power or possibly just the right stars line up for something to act as an antenna. Governments have rules about emissions to keep all of our devices and machines from wreaking havoc with each other, although just the right combination of freq and waveform can still slip through in odd places.

As was mentioned, a bump in the road could jog a loose wire too. In the US when I was a kid there were an unusual number of accidents at train crossings... investigations finally determined that the bump going over the tracks could cause a wonky carburetor to stall the motor at the worst possible place. Fuel injection fixed that.

If it keep happening at the same spot I'd start to wonder.

Post #406940 23rd Apr 2021 2:27 pm
Bogart

Well I can now state it is not the same spot. Just decided to give her another run in the field and lo and behold she cut out.
Loads of OBD errors all cleared except the one mentioned previously but she will not start. Have noted battery voltage down to 12.2v so am still fairly convinced problem relates to battery. But what I find strange is that it is a new battery and the fact she started okay went 50 yds then cut out. Battery on charge so will see if that gets her going will fully charge her up and check battery drain as there seems to be something sucking the juice out of it.

Post #406941 23rd Apr 2021 2:57 pm
Bogart

Bit more info. Checking errors were quite a lot but my eye drawn to following.

P0335 and P0336 both related to crankshaft sensor and error P02E8 intake airflow position sensor circuit low.

Now I cleared all these give it a run once I managed to start it and just back from 10 miles with the only the P02E8 showing which has again cleared. Now I am getting a tad confused as I got a hiss from the filler cap which I have not had in a while and the battery voltage looked a bit low, will check in an hour. With the P028E error is it referring to the MAF sensor? If so I will order one plus a crankshaft one to eliminate those.

Post #406978 24th Apr 2021 1:17 pm
AndyP

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

I'll vote for the crankshaft sensor.
The fuel tank does get pressurised by the fuel return. The tank is effectively sealed for emission reasons , but there is pressure relief valve to avoid over pressure , and to allow air inlet as the fuel is drained.

Post #406993 24th Apr 2021 6:01 pm
bomeo

Romania 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Galway Green

I have a Friend with a Mitsubishi L200 The engine stops randomly and does not start only after is cooled down a bit. It was the crankshaft senzor, no error code, no nothing.

Post #406994 24th Apr 2021 6:12 pm
Bogart

Just a bit more input. We both went this morning to Lidl, my we must sound sad. I only went as she is scared to go on her own.
Before departing I checked the battery voltage which was 12.38v . Now yesterday mid afternoon after running the engine for a while and leaving an hour it was 12.66. I consider 12.66 down to 12.38 in about 18 hours rather a lot. So before we set off I ran the engine for 10 mins and we had an uneventful trip. Couple of hours after our return checked battery now at 12.4v.
Also checked error codes none except normal Crash Input one. I am still not convinced this is not battery related , something draining it. I will fit a new crankshaft sensor if to do nothing else but eliminate it. Have just checked battery darin and after 15 minutes is down to 100mA so that looks fine.

Post #407024 25th Apr 2021 2:10 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>