Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > My Freelander 2 > strange wistle coming from the front
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
carlfraz

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

npinks, sounds to me like a dealer trying to 'pull the wool over your eyes' (telling a big fat lie!!) It is not a preheat, as you say it does not happen at the beginning of a journey only at the end. It is so high pitched it can only be electronic........it is almost as if the car has switched over to 'alarm mode' and is running some 'self checks' as does a house alarm, only house alarms beep for 30 seconds whilst the infrta red sensors configure themselves......maybe this is all the car is doing...configuring itself and setting the pressure sensors inside the car Question Question Whistle WHO KNOWS TILL LANDROVER TELL US...........COME BOYS READ AND ADVISE US........we would welcome a Landrover official to attend the forum as we do love the cars despite our varied problems....the forum is to share and solve problems, it would be great to have a 'big brother' from Land Rover to join, not to 'have a go at' but to share our experiences with and make the car even better.

Post #4156 28th Jun 2007 10:55 pm
NightFox

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame

Think I've got an answer for you on this, it's been bugging me too, but got this from one of the Land Rover Experience guys at the weekend who clearly knew the vehicle very well, and it wasn't as if I asked and he felt obliged to give me an answer; he specifically mentioned it.

As you may know, the FL2 varies the amount of drive being done by the rear wheels depending on what is required; when driving on the road in normal conditions, the FL2 will be almost front-wheel drive (though there's never less than 3% going through the rear, so the FL2 is true 4WD, it's just the amount of drive that varies).

When the vehicle starts up, just to be sure it can deal with the most demanding set-off environment, it always starts in traditional 4WD 50% front/50% rear mode, and then goes on to adjust this as required (probably back to 97% front, 3% rear if it's on a dry flat road). The whine is basically just the compressor resetting it to 50/50 ready for when you want to set off. If you need a more technical explanation than that, then I'm afraid someone else will have to step in...

Last edited by NightFox on 2nd Jul 2007 7:52 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #4236 2nd Jul 2007 2:45 pm
robbie37

Ireland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Narvik Black
whine noise

the noise you are hearing is one of the land rover employees stuck under the bonnet throw a few ham sandwiches under and he/she will stop. Laughing Laughing Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Very Happy Laughing Razz

Post #4237 2nd Jul 2007 3:41 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Thanks NightFox

I thats one of the many FL2 puzzles solved

Post #4240 2nd Jul 2007 6:01 pm
John L

United Kingdom 

Thanks everyone, I too had wondered what that noise was. You can hear a valve or something click as it shuts off.

Post #4629 14th Jul 2007 7:08 pm
gibbergump

Canada 2007 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I have always heard this as well. There is a lot of electronics in these things and I think it could be cooling fans that remain operational for a while. I have actually heard like sounds from both the front and rear areas of the vehicle (the rear has electronics bays as well).

Post #4722 19th Jul 2007 12:39 am
Steve H

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

I think its an electronic inverter module running on after the car is locked and powering one of the many systems. It occurs whether the car has run or not. D3 GS Java Black TDV6 Manual

Post #5980 2nd Sep 2007 7:49 pm
defkalion

Greece 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Hi everyone. As I mentioned a few days ago I had a test drive with a TD4 and that's the first time I heard this high pitched sound. It took place when I parked it in my garage after a 50km ride. My own i6 does not do the sound. I hear other fan-like sounds but not the high pitch one. This would make me assume that it might have something to do with the intercooler. It does sound high-tech though Very Happy Thumbs Up

Post #5986 2nd Sep 2007 10:01 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12