« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Air In Fuel LIne NOW fIXED
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
gasman

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver
Air In Fuel LIne NOW fIXED

I would appreciate it if someone with a diesel Freelander would take a look at one of their fuel lines for me.
I don't know if I have an issue with this or not as I have never noticed it before.
I am referring to the fuel line between the filter and the high pressure pump. Most of the clear plastic is covered by a sleeve, which is why I have not noticed this previously. You can slide the sleeve along slightly to see the pipe.
On mine when the car is switched off and just standing there is a large air bubble just after the fuel filter.

When the car is started, this disappears but there is a stream of tiny pin size bubbles constantly flowing.
Is this normal or am I looking for a fault that is not there.

On a Renault Clio diesel I had this was also the case but was normal.

Thanks Thumbs Up Now at the point when I learn something new something old is lost out the other side !
Now retired so it doesn't matter anymore.
Freelander now gone.

Last edited by gasman on 16th May 2021 7:34 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #406826 20th Apr 2021 7:44 pm
davyboy

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Good evening Gasman, I can honestly say that my freelander2 does not have or show any air bubbles in that hose, this evening I have rebuilt the egr valve again ie recently replaced but not the cooler. as the cooler sprung a leak as I could smell hot burnt antifreeze when lifting the bonnet, eventually after spending hours looking for this leak being convinced it was the radiator decided to put the car on ramps

With a fully charged head torch I inspected every coolant hose and really a thorough inspection and found the leak between egr and cooler, although I replaced the thin gasket when replacing the egr.

Apparently my local landy dealer replaces the cooler when replacing the egr-part of the repair to guarantee a leak free job. As it’s an awful task as you are aware. Not bragging but on my second strip down the egr removal took me just over an hour, the rebuild just under three as realigning the exhaust manifold pipe took a few wriggling/swearing episodes but eventually all dropped into place.

I have left the engine ticking over with heater on hot for over an hour whilst rebuilding the trims etc, and not noticed those fuel pipes having any air bubbles whizzing by. Again another thorough inspection. Of everything.

Just been out and checked- No air bubble.

This problem could be your long crank before start? What I would do, is, source a clear pipe and try and fit between tank and filter monitor what goes in the filter. Even the injector leak off pipes. If at all possible.
Or replace the fuel pipes, what a job!

Good luck, please report back.

Post #406832 20th Apr 2021 10:26 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Badger51

Australia 
Re: Air In Fuel LIne

gasman wrote:
I would appreciate it if someone with a diesel Freelander would take a look at one of their fuel lines for me.
I don't know if I have an issue with this or not as I have never noticed it before.
I am referring to the fuel line between the filter and the high pressure pump. Most of the clear plastic is covered by a sleeve, which is why I have not noticed this previously. You can slide the sleeve along slightly to see the pipe.
On mine when the car is switched off and just standing there is a large air bubble just after the fuel filter.

When the car is started, this disappears but there is a stream of tiny pin size bubbles constantly flowing.
Is this normal or am I looking for a fault that is not there.

On a Renault Clio diesel I had this was also the case but was normal.

Thanks Thumbs Up

Here ya go gasman, not as big as yours but it’s there & flow of tiny bubbles when running. It starts & runs fine & returns good fuel economy when driven sensibly!

(Now Sold). 2008 Freelander 2 (Nazca Sand) SE TD4 Auto. Statutory write off & on WOVR for hail damage but still road legal.
171037Km as of 09/05/22
Superchips Bluefin Flash
Nanocom Evo II (also sold)

Post #406835 21st Apr 2021 1:06 am
Jack frost

United Kingdom 

I have also checked I have a large air bubble & small bubbles when running Thumbs Up

Post #406838 21st Apr 2021 8:23 am
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

Mine also has bubbles with a misfire I can't trace to anything specific. It's drivable, as long as I don't ask it to make too much power, as this results in misfiring. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ionic 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #406848 21st Apr 2021 10:08 am
Luke G

2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Narvik Black

I ended up replacing that hose after the air leaking in led to a misfire and rough running, it fixed the problem straight away.

Post #406849 21st Apr 2021 11:32 am
gasman

Many thanks to Davyboy, Badger51, Jack Frost, Nodge68, and Luke G for taking the time to check the fuel supply systems for me.
Sorry for the late reply but I have been messing around trying to solve this issue. Which apparently is not an issue. I have gone round all the connections I could find looking for fuel leaks. air in must equal fuel out. I've changed the fuel filter again and temporarily replaced the fuel line from the filter to the high pressure pump. I left the existing pipe along side to enable the temperature sensor to be plugged in.

Well if it is not a fuel problem, I'm stumped again. What could be causing my long cranking before start up.
As is mentioned in my other post regarding the starting issue I have replaced the following sensors MAF,MAP, Crank, Cam. I have also changed the starter motor and load tested the battery.
Once started it revs freely with no misfires etc. There are no related codes either.

Wondering if there is a delay to the injectors firing, as once started there is very little in the way of white smoke which usually indicates unburnt fuel. Will have to find away to test them.

Anybody have any pearls of wisdom as to the issue as I've no hair left to pull out. Thumbs Up Now at the point when I learn something new something old is lost out the other side !
Freelander now gone.

Post #407041 25th Apr 2021 7:06 pm
davyboy

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Hello gasman, I have a contact within a service workshop ie dealer stealer who has given me advice with my freelander where issues have risen very recently with my egr valve.
I have replaced the egr valve supplied by Rimmer brothers a Pierburg part plus a replacement egr cooler from the landrover parts department

His advice was to have the injection system realigned by either main dealer or a company within Stoke on Trent who is AWJ automotive

My friend told me that replacing any part of the injection system ie egr, throttle body or any sensor they- the dealer check the flow path, this company also has access to the software from landrover for any updates available.

If you google the company speak to them as they may offer you advice or put you in touch with a similar outlet near to you.

My car is booked in this next week. Why don’t you ring them for advice, they may have a solution to your problem.?

Regards DP.

Post #407057 26th Apr 2021 12:21 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

There's a simple SDD routine to recalibrate the air path sensors. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ionic 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #407069 26th Apr 2021 2:24 pm
gasman

Davyboy I doubt there is anything wrong with the injectors, as once started the engine revs and drives OK. I don't have any misfire or smoke from unburnt diesel.
But thanks for that anyway.

Nodge I think I know the routine you have in mind. I'll give it ago.

This is what I set up yesterday to try and eliminate the air bubbles.

I used the priming bulb to force out any air then left it overnight. Checked it today and there appeared to be no bubbles as far as I could see through the plastic pipe.
Went to start the car........no difference......just as bad. Took that lot off and put it back as was. At least I have proven a point. Now at the point when I learn something new something old is lost out the other side !
Freelander now gone.

Post #407070 26th Apr 2021 6:50 pm
gasman

Just thought of something.

I thought my request for help ,i.e. check your fuel line for me, was a simple ask. To date it has had over 240 views.

Thank you to the 6 people that checked their cars for me. Thumbs Up

As for the rest.........well Now at the point when I learn something new something old is lost out the other side !
Freelander now gone.

Post #407071 26th Apr 2021 6:57 pm
AndyP

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

Do you have the ability to monitor the fuel pressure in real time?
Be interesting to see how quickly it comes up on cranking, and it's decay rate if you stall the engine.

Andy

Post #407075 26th Apr 2021 8:54 pm
gasman

Sorry for the late reply AndyP

Yes, I do have the ability to check the fuel rail pressure. Here is what I get.
Engine off 0 kpa
Crank engine 25150 kpa within one second of cranking.
engine off fuel rail drops of instantly.
Apparently that is correct.

Update on the air in fuel line.
I have just fitted a third purflex fuel filter and greased the connections with a thicker silicone grease.
Result, air bubbles all but gone. Some very small insignificant bubbles can still be seen occasionally when the engine is running but I don't think that is a problem.
Purflex is the OEM filter for the Freelander but after all this hassle, I think next time I will try a Bosch filter. Thumbs Up Now at the point when I learn something new something old is lost out the other side !
Freelander now gone.

Post #407858 16th May 2021 7:44 pm
bomeo

Romania 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Galway Green

I am thinking about moving a little bit the crank sensor right or left if possible. I don t know ratio between crank sensor and cam sensor is but some cars have 3/1 other have two diferent rows of notches on the crank pulley

Post #407887 17th May 2021 12:32 pm
gasman

I don't think you can move the sensor. It is installed in a fixed position Now at the point when I learn something new something old is lost out the other side !
Freelander now gone.

Post #407894 17th May 2021 1:11 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1