Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Are these correct.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
blueboy



Member Since: 20 Aug 2017
Location: Bedfordshire
Posts: 149

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey
Are these correct.

Going to get my transmission oils changed on my newly acquired 2014 SD4 Freelander. I have looked at the handbook & it tells me I need :

Autobox 7 litres of Nippon AW-1

Transfer unit .75 litres of Castrol BOT 118

Rear diff .7 litres Castrol EPX

Haldex .65 litres Stat oil SL01-301


I am not doing the work a friends son has a garage & he will do it for me, I just need to take the oils/fluids to him.

I know there are a lot of experienced people on here that will know if I have this right. I dont want to book it in & turn up with the wrong stuff.

Post #406313 8th Apr 2021 3:55 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Reply with quote
MotionInc



Member Since: 17 Jun 2019
Location: North America
Posts: 775

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

Looks about right to me. If you are doing a full flush of the autobox, maybe 9 litres are better.

Post #406326 8th Apr 2021 5:33 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Reply with quote
Andy131



Member Since: 10 Dec 2009
Location: Manchester
Posts: 1748

United Kingdom 

The autobox does hold 7 litres but .....
If you have the machine that connects between the box and oil cooler (transmission specialist will have, general garage unlikely) then probably 7-9litres would be a good estimate.

If you are doing in yourself, you drop the fluid and between a litre and a litre and a half will come out, you refit the drain plug, top up and start the engine and run through the gears. You then repeat the process again and again until the fluid runs clear, this takes between 11-12 litres. You could in theory drop the bottom of the gearbox and drain a lot more fluid, but you still have old fluid trapped in the torque converter, oil cooler and associated pipework. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #406344 8th Apr 2021 8:42 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Reply with quote
jules



Member Since: 13 Dec 2007
Location: The Wilds of Warwickshire
Posts: 2434

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red
Re: Are these correct.

blueboy wrote:
Going to get my transmission oils changed on my newly acquired 2014 SD4 Freelander. I have looked at the handbook & it tells me I need :

Autobox 7 litres of Nippon AW-1

Transfer unit .75 litres of Castrol BOT 118

Rear diff .7 litres Castrol EPX

Haldex .65 litres Stat oil SL01-301


I am not doing the work a friends son has a garage & he will do it for me, I just need to take the oils/fluids to him.

I know there are a lot of experienced people on here that will know if I have this right. I dont want to book it in & turn up with the wrong stuff.


The manual is correct. However there are many perfectly good and cheaper alternatives as all you need is a lubricant matching the specifications.
FWIW I used the following Smith & Allan products:
Autobox : Tranguard ATF LV
PTU: Geartech FS 75W-90
Rear Diff: Geartech EP 80w90

And got the Haldex oil & filter from the internet eg
https://haldexparts.co.uk/collections/serv...ervice-kit Jules

Post #406348 8th Apr 2021 10:41 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Reply with quote
Bobupndown



Member Since: 26 Dec 2014
Location: Upside down behind the TV!
Posts: 1474

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Andy131 wrote:
The autobox does hold 7 litres but .....
If you have the machine that connects between the box and oil cooler (transmission specialist will have, general garage unlikely) then probably 7-9litres would be a good estimate.

If you are doing in yourself, you drop the fluid and between a litre and a litre and a half will come out, you refit the drain plug, top up and start the engine and run through the gears. You then repeat the process again and again until the fluid runs clear, this takes between 11-12 litres. You could in theory drop the bottom of the gearbox and drain a lot more fluid, but you still have old fluid trapped in the torque converter, oil cooler and associated pipework.


I did mine by dropping the oil from the sump plug then refilling that exact amount then removing the return pipe after the pump and starting the engine, running about 2 litres out and topping up by the same amount removed. Did that 3 times and oil coming out looking new. Ran it up to temperature and checked the level, saves wasting oil and probably quicker. ** make sure you have a new o ring for the oil return pipe**, I was nearly caught out but luckily a Td5 injector washer is identical size and I had a set of them left over from the beloved D2. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #406353 9th Apr 2021 7:58 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Reply with quote
jules



Member Since: 13 Dec 2007
Location: The Wilds of Warwickshire
Posts: 2434

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Bob, can you confirm which is the return pipe ? the upper one (brown) or the lower one (green).

IIRC the JLR manual diagram (below) may be incorrect but I'm not sure .

With engine coolant the pumped hot coolant goes to the top of the radiator first and returns via the bottom hose.


 Jules

Post #406356 9th Apr 2021 8:33 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Reply with quote
blueboy



Member Since: 20 Aug 2017
Location: Bedfordshire
Posts: 149

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Thanks everyone for your help, much appreciated.

Post #406381 9th Apr 2021 3:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Reply with quote
Bobupndown



Member Since: 26 Dec 2014
Location: Upside down behind the TV!
Posts: 1474

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

jules wrote:
Bob, can you confirm which is the return pipe ? the upper one (brown) or the lower one (green).

IIRC the JLR manual diagram (below) may be incorrect but I'm not sure .

With engine coolant the pumped hot coolant goes to the top of the radiator first and returns via the bottom hose.





https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic28619-195.html

(Page 14) Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #406393 9th Apr 2021 7:54 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Reply with quote
Nodge68



Member Since: 15 Jul 2020
Location: Newquay
Posts: 275

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red
Re: Are these correct.

blueboy wrote:
Going to get my transmission oils changed on my newly acquired 2014 SD4 Freelander. I have looked at the handbook & it tells me I need :

Autobox 7 litres of Nippon AW-1

Transfer unit .75 litres of Castrol BOT 118

Rear diff .7 litres Castrol EPX

Haldex .65 litres Stat oil SL01-301


I am not doing the work a friends son has a garage & he will do it for me, I just need to take the oils/fluids to him.

I know there are a lot of experienced people on here that will know if I have this right. I dont want to book it in & turn up with the wrong stuff.


Don't forget the filter for the Haldex. You can get a proper kit for under £50, which contains everything needed to service a Gen4 Haldex. 2009 Rimini Red SE, unfortunately previously maintained by a moron.

Post #406397 9th Apr 2021 8:34 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Reply with quote
jules



Member Since: 13 Dec 2007
Location: The Wilds of Warwickshire
Posts: 2434

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Bobupndown wrote:
jules wrote:
Bob, can you confirm which is the return pipe ? the upper one (brown) or the lower one (green).

IIRC the JLR manual diagram (below) may be incorrect but I'm not sure .

With engine coolant the pumped hot coolant goes to the top of the radiator first and returns via the bottom hose.





https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic28619-195.html

(Page 14)


Cheers - I've saved the link for future reference. Bottom pipe it is. Jules

Post #406446 10th Apr 2021 9:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1
All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Jump to  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >
Posting Rules
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum



Site Copyright © 2006-2021 Futuranet Ltd & Martin Lewis


Switch to Mobile site