Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Late 2013 face lift Battery and charging circuit fault.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Safeman23

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey
Late 2013 face lift Battery and charging circuit fault.

Hi All

Just spent the last few weeks trying track down a fault that brings on the charging and alternator lamps on the dash board. Having looked for the 'blue wire' fault on my 2013 GS its very short and disappears inside the loom - no damage. Replaced the alternator and battery but still no joy getting this sorted. SDD tells me that there is not DTC associated with this condition!! Can anyone give me some pointers or have sorted this issue on a late build Freelander.

Most grateful for any advice a or comments.

Cheers

Post #406094 2nd Apr 2021 5:41 pm
itsaguything

Canada 2013 LR2 2.0T HSE Auto Firenze Red

You’re right, its a case of cause and effect. Glad you went to sdd to check for codes. Though I’d prefer to sort the root of the issue before just indiscriminately replacing parts. And perhaps the old battery and alternator failed load tests, Though that wasn’t mentioned.

I have decided that on my vehicle, the alternator is wrongly sized and inadequate for the job. This is based on the situation where if in the evening and I have many electrical system components running, the headlights will dim should the car be at idle and I am concurrently in reverse. (I solved these problems on my boat by installing another alternator for the secondary battery bank, though many thought it was not necessary). But we only have 1 battery... and this situation does not result in a dummy light on the instrument panel. (I’m a meter or gauge man. I detest dummy lights as the illuminate when its typically too late)

In days of past I would have suggested a second glance at the voltage regulator. A resistance test on the cabling. A confirmation of good grounds and a confirmation of the health of the mains. In my experience, as vehicles age, the grounds are typically not good. And voltage regulators (resistors) start to lose their efficiency. Also as cabling wears...

Of course, common culprits like water ingress, electrical shorts, etc need be ruled out.
Clearly hunting the suspect takes a methodical approach and a good amount of time. Thus the reason some unfairly claim servicing at any shop is expensive. I for one would head to a professional that knows the vehicle exceptionally well, has a database of tech notes available and the proper diagnostic tools to efficiently sort the issue out. or the game of yank and replace every part until by chance it gets sorted... Guy Pensa
Cars with Personalities
Getting itchy. What's next?
2014 Land Rover HSE Lux (blend of practicality and aggressiveness)
2007 XKR (Jaguar Racing Green) (woo hoo!)
2004 XJR (Jaguar Racing Green) (deceased)
2002 S-Type R (British Racing Green, of course)
1951 Riley RMD (Black, time for that restoration)

Post #406138 3rd Apr 2021 12:44 pm
Safeman23

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Thanks for that. LRSDD is now telling me its a Generator Control Module fault (100%). I thinks its time for the experienced guys at the local LR shop to have a look. I guess the GCM is part of the rectifier on the back of the alternator? Or its a box hidden away somewhere?

Hope all's well where you are.

Post #406141 3rd Apr 2021 3:05 pm
itsaguything

Canada 2013 LR2 2.0T HSE Auto Firenze Red

Happy Easter!
Thanks very much. And with you.

Its funny how time goes by and my perspective changes... I was in Vic, Au from last Mar to Dec... of course as we all know the covid situation is very well managed there. And to keep it that way, there is a mandatory quarantine for new comers.
Now that I’m back here I have the perspective that this is all being managed like a bad episode of Romper Room... surrounded by the incompetent and spineless. Guy Pensa
Cars with Personalities
Getting itchy. What's next?
2014 Land Rover HSE Lux (blend of practicality and aggressiveness)
2007 XKR (Jaguar Racing Green) (woo hoo!)
2004 XJR (Jaguar Racing Green) (deceased)
2002 S-Type R (British Racing Green, of course)
1951 Riley RMD (Black, time for that restoration)

Post #406181 4th Apr 2021 5:32 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1