« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > TPM
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
slushbox

United Kingdom 
TPM

I had no idea the car had this fitted till i wanted to drop the pressures for snow driving a month or so back and ended up with a warning for all 4 tyres being low on pressure. Rolling Eyes
Does anyone know if i can reprogram the system for the lower pressures or disable this system all together and fit regular valves? Ive a feeling im going to hate TPM Rolling Eyes .....i like slightly lower pressures than those recommended by the factory.
Or have i missed something and being a donut? Neutral

Post #405840 27th Mar 2021 6:24 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

Just leave the tyres the correct pressure. Dropping the pressure makes no difference to grip in snow anyway. If you're loosing so much traction, you can't make progress, you have the wrong tyres. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ionic 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #405842 27th Mar 2021 6:51 pm
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

Think you'll find TPMS is a legal requirement on all vehicles after November 2014. Not having it in a post-2014 vehicle could be an MOT fail.

As previous reply indicated leave at recommended pressure, if you're not getting traction you've probably got the wrong tyres on

Post #405849 27th Mar 2021 7:52 pm
slushbox

United Kingdom 

The tyres are fairly new continental cross contacts on the 19" rims. The recommended pressure is 35 psi.
On snow off road, they just feel a bit too hard. They also feel a bit too hard for regular driving on tarmac for me. I dropped them to 32 psi to start with but it threw its toys around and gave the warning ⚠️
I realise the manfacturer has to set them to a safe pressure to cover all conditions, but its annoying not being allowed to adjust them because of nanny state.
The point is i want to have control over my tyre pressures and it seems i cant, without annoying warnings.

Post #405850 27th Mar 2021 8:18 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

The recommended tyre pressure for the Freelander is 32 PSI all round, at least it is on my 17" wheels.
The TPMS can be calibrated to allow the tyres to be whatever is correct. Instructions on how to do this is in the owner's handbook. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ionic 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #405854 27th Mar 2021 9:15 pm
slushbox

United Kingdom 

Banging Head

Post #405855 27th Mar 2021 9:30 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Nodge68 wrote:
The recommended tyre pressure for the Freelander is 32 PSI all round, at least it is on my 17" wheels.
The TPMS can be calibrated to allow the tyres to be whatever is correct. Instructions on how to do this is in the owner's handbook.

Nodge Please can you tell me what page recalibration of TPMS is on. I can't find it in MY2015 Handbook.
It just seems to say that (for me - 19" 35PSI) lowering tyre pressure will affect the handling and increase tyre wear.

http://www.axelzone.ro/car/lr/fl2_handbook_2012.pdf FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #405859 28th Mar 2021 12:09 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Owner's Handbook page 176:

'Tyre pressure can be adjusted to compensate before the start of the journey. Alternatively, tyre pressures can be adjusted when the erea of lower ambient temperature is reached.

In this situation, the vehicle must be left in the ambient local temperature for at least one hour before pressure is adjusted.'

Not much chop in outback Australia when one is airing up & down a few times a day in the dust & heat! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #405862 28th Mar 2021 3:20 am
LR2hselux

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Sumatra Black

If the vehicle requires TPMS for MOT then the failure criteria is a fault in the system, a warning lamp on indicating low pressure or to check the tyre pressures is not a fault and does not fail. BUT if you were to remove the TPMS valves, then this WOULD cause a fault code to be recorded and the corresponding message to be displayed and this would be an MOT failure. On a final point it might be worth getting your tyre pressures measured and set cold with a calibrated guage, as most warning messages are not displayed until the tyre pressure is 5 or 6 psi below the recommended pressure. Certainly 3 psi below the recommended pressure would not put the warning message on.

Post #406212 5th Apr 2021 5:46 pm
Lightwater

Here is a thread on TPMS Stuartc started, he always provides invaluable information https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic25486.html Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #406222 6th Apr 2021 6:11 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

I had a discussion with my son yesterday about tyre pressure gauges. I have always used the old sort where the cylinder pops up with the gradations on side rather than a dial meter as I was always told that the meter sort were inaccurate. He had read the opposite. I then got two of the "old" type and they they both read to within 1 psi of each other, the meter in my electric tyre pump was different again. So what sort do you people rely on? 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #406229 6th Apr 2021 9:12 am
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

My first query to the forum was about TPMS and fitting new valves to a spare I already had.

I got an excellent forum answer and fitted the TPMS valve with no troubles.

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic30058.html?highlight=tpms

As normal a good search of the forum will find a similar problem and hopefully an answer.

Try TPMS
https://www.freel2.com/forum/search.php?se...rch_time=0 FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #406231 6th Apr 2021 9:31 am
Lightwater

I have 2, more or less cheap electronic gauges & the dial on the ARB inflator. I under inflate the tyres by about 2 psi to match the cheap electronic gauges. My TPMS is within 1psi of the cheap gauges.

I had the opportunity in the outback getting back on the hardtop & airing up & at the same time as a camping neighbour with truck tyres. When I had finished I offered to air up is other tyres as 3 compressors as somewhat quicker than 1!

He happened to have a professional gauge with large dial that had recently been calibrated. My cheap gauges were within 1 psi of the calibrated gauge.

Just get the tyres within reason. If you have TPMS showing pressure, the pressure changes a fair bit with hot & cold weather. If the sun is on some tyres for half an hour they will be about 3psi higher than the shadow side.

After diving an hour tyres will be about 3psi higher.

Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #406235 6th Apr 2021 10:44 am
merlinj79

United States 2008 LR2 i6 S Auto Tambora Flame

dorsetfreelander wrote:
I had a discussion with my son yesterday about tyre pressure gauges. I have always used the old sort where the cylinder pops up with the gradations on side rather than a dial meter as I was always told that the meter sort were inaccurate. He had read the opposite. I then got two of the "old" type and they they both read to within 1 psi of each other, the meter in my electric tyre pump was different again. So what sort do you people rely on?

I rely on a good mechanical gauge... that *should* be more accurate (and precise) out of the box than cheaper alternatives... but even so age, use, or getting dropped can affect those too. I've heard that a good digital gauge should be more accurate and consistent because it doesn't have mechanicals which are subject to change or damage.

The only way top know for sure is to have a good gauge and check it periodically against a known standard, large garages or any racing outfit should have those. My work-around is I have several cheap gauges, and I know how much they vary from the good one. I set the pressure with a stick gauge built into the hose fitting, and then check it with my good one. My motorcycle has Fobo TPMS installed, that way I can check it from my phone every time before I ride without losing 0.5 psi in the process. The Fobo TPMS matches my good gauge exactly.

Motorcycles need pretty accurate pressure. Our LR2's need very CONSISTENT pressure (and tire wear) across all four wheels to avoid stressing our already weak gear-boxes with slightly different RPM's.

You can also calibrate your gauges with a long tube of water if you have access to a tall structure to hang it from. Very accurate once temp is accounted for. You can do it with a much shorter hose (3 feet) if you don't mind fooling with liquid mercury.

Post #406246 6th Apr 2021 4:09 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1