Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > OIL ...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey
OIL ...

OK so some of us have a few miles under our belt now, hope everyone is checking the oil from time to time.

I'd had a brief conversation about topping up the oil with service reception where I was given a leaflet on Mobil1. However on checking the handbook there is a very simple spec for oil 5W-30 to meet Ford 913B spec. and noticed that LR (or rather Ford) recommend Castrol. In the rush to get away at Easter I didn't get round to topping up before we took off to Scotland with the caravan; while away I checked the level and decided it really was time to add some oil. Didn't have the greatest choice of oils where we were but did find a 1 litre top up pack with all the right numbers on it (was also stated to be a semi synthetic). Adding this litre brought the level up to near the top mark. That gives me an oil consumption of about 1 litre over 6500 miles, does that sound reasonable, has anyone else topped up yet?

Post #2495 19th Apr 2007 12:45 am
The Villager

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Stornoway Grey
Re: OIL ...

avtur wrote:
OK so some of us have a few miles under our belt now, hope everyone is checking the oil from time to time.

I'd had a brief conversation about topping up the oil with service reception where I was given a leaflet on Mobil1. However on checking the handbook there is a very simple spec for oil 5W-30 to meet Ford 913B spec. and noticed that LR (or rather Ford) recommend Castrol. In the rush to get away at Easter I didn't get round to topping up before we took off to Scotland with the caravan; while away I checked the level and decided it really was time to add some oil. Didn't have the greatest choice of oils where we were but did find a 1 litre top up pack with all the right numbers on it (was also stated to be a semi synthetic). Adding this litre brought the level up to near the top mark. That gives me an oil consumption of about 1 litre over 6500 miles, does that sound reasonable, has anyone else topped up yet?

Hi Avtur
I worry you are having to top up oil after the short time you have had your car!
I have owned 3 freelander1 and never needed top up oil between services. This is a modern car and I would want some answers if I had to top up oil at 6500 miles, get back to your dealer and get some answers
Good Luck
David David

Post #2500 19th Apr 2007 9:54 am
defkalion

Greece 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

The car manual mentions that diesel engines consume more oil that petrol. Have you taken this into account avtur? However I would ask an expert (not Land Rover dealer) to get an honest answer. I don't want to advertise anything but just trying to help, let me say that LRO magazine have an experts dept and you can even email them your problem. Their answers seem quite honest.

Post #2501 19th Apr 2007 10:00 am
BOOWHO

United Kingdom 

It was always assumed that diesel engines used oil during the bedding in process whether this has changed or not with modern design I dont know but quite often with trucks the more they used initially the better they went when oil consumption eased. The likes of Millers Oils dont recommend putting certain of their oils in till engines have covered a certain mileage which to me sounds like the bedding in process.

Post #2502 19th Apr 2007 10:48 am
boiledgnat

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

My last car was a SAAB diesel and I had to top that up occasionally between services (mainly as they were 18K or 2 years) - I seem to remember having to put a full litre in, but that was about 12 months, 8K miles in.

When I picked my FL2 up, my dealer made a point of reminding me to keep an eye on the oil levels, especially during the first few months, as this is when the levels can drop significantly. (not sure why)

Hope this helps

BG

Post #2503 19th Apr 2007 11:50 am
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

All modern Land Rover engines have a block with a high graphite content which seems to absorb lub oil for the first couple of months of ownership so you really do have to keep a careful eye on the level. I was quite alarmed by the amount of oil I "used" in the first 4/5months of owning the RR Sport and some others over on RRSport.co.uk have commented the same - about 2 litres in 4 months which was a huge amount after owning a TD6 FFRR that didn't use any oil even though I was warned that the BMW TD's can use a lot, and a TD4 Automatic which I never had to put any oil into or my Defender and previous Discoveries that also never burned oil, but for some reason left oily spots on the drive (I think it was drive train lubrication that caused those marks!) So do keep an eye on your oil level but don't be too concerned about the amount it appears to be using - after a few months you will not need to add any more! How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?
Now driving - RRE Coupe Dynamic Lux Auto with Plus pack, Fuji White, Ebony, SD4 with tow pack
Gone - 2010MY FFRR TDv8 Stornoway and Ivory, Privacy - the pace of a TDv8 RRS, the incomparable grace of a Range Rover
Gone but will be missed- RRS Tdv8 HSE Stornoway Grey with Ebony Leather
Gone (only a little missed) RRS Tdv6 2.7SE Giverny Green/Aspen
Defender 90 County HT in Epsom Green

Post #2535 19th Apr 2007 10:20 pm
markconnor33

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

David

1 litre of oil usage in 6500m seems pretty normal to me.

I once had a brand new Astra dieopping upsel with the Ecotec engine(noisy!) which used about 1 litre/1500 miles.
Vauxhall said this was within their normal max tolerance, so therefore refused to do any investigations into where it was going.

I was pretty gobsmacked by this poor performance at the time!!

New VW Passat TDI went through similar quants to yours, for first 10K and then gave up consuming. Also my old VW golf TDI didn't burn/use a drop at mileage around 130K.

All in all, looks ok to me, but might be worth trying to persuade Landy dealer to give you free topup bottle, for between services.

Mark Freelander 2
TD4 GS
Shiney fantastic Baltic Blue
Detachable Witter Towbar

Post #2837 3rd May 2007 5:49 pm
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

My RRS has just been serviced today and there in the footwell was a "free" gift oil level checking kit (6 disposable gloves and a pack of 6 "dipstick wipes" and a 1 litre bottle of Magnatec, How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?
Now driving - RRE Coupe Dynamic Lux Auto with Plus pack, Fuji White, Ebony, SD4 with tow pack
Gone - 2010MY FFRR TDv8 Stornoway and Ivory, Privacy - the pace of a TDv8 RRS, the incomparable grace of a Range Rover

Post #2838 3rd May 2007 6:49 pm
markconnor33

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Really good and cheap customer relations that Tim.

I am sure you feel much better, even though your Land Rover dealer has emptied your wallet for you.

Good will guestures like this are becoming increasingley rare.

Mark Freelander 2
TD4 GS
Shiney fantastic Baltic Blue
Detachable Witter Towbar

Post #2839 3rd May 2007 8:33 pm
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

I also got a F2 TD4 GS Automatic to drive as a courtesy car yesterday instead of the usual F1 or D3 which I usually decline in favour of a lift back home and collection when the car is ready - I have a Def90 as well as the RRS so I use that when the Sport is being looked at but I couldn't decline the offer to test drive the Td4 auto.
I'm sure the dealer has recovered the cost somewhere in the £426-01p he charged me for the service! How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?

Post #2840 3rd May 2007 9:14 pm
NightFox

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame

My dealer (Shukers of Shrewsbury) warned me to keep an eye on the oil level too, but said if it fell, just to call in and they would top it up for me (i.e. no charge).

Post #3798 13th Jun 2007 3:28 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1