« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Wheels & Tyres > New boots.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Landypandy

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Galway Green
New boots.

Hi, my SD4 has 19” wheels and the fronts need replacing. I’ve read lots about changing all 4 at the same time to safeguard the diff etc but my rears are at 5mm . Would it be safe to have new on the front with the existing rears or is the difference too great. My other alternative is to put part worn tyres on the front so they’re all at 5mm. Thanks.

Post #405680 23rd Mar 2021 7:59 am
axle

England 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Permanent four wheel drive systems should have the same tread on all four wheels, F2 is part time so there's no reason you can't have different treads front and rear.
If im wrong somebody will be along if a mow to correct me Very Happy Common sense isn't very common.

Post #405681 23rd Mar 2021 8:37 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

2 new tyres are ok. Put them on the front. If you are still worried stick another 2 psi in the rear which will increase rolling diameter a whisker. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #405682 23rd Mar 2021 8:42 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

I am about to put some new boots on my FL2 however the fronts seem to have 4.5mm and the rears about 2.2mm so definitely need replacing. They are Wranglers and all went on at the same time 30k miles ago. So that's a bit odd, now just trying to convince myself that I only need to replace the rear two given my low mileage these days 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #405688 23rd Mar 2021 11:02 am
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

I change all 4 as a rule despite the ability of the part time 4x4. I also change them front to back approximately every 5k miles in order to even the wear. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #405689 23rd Mar 2021 11:07 am
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

axle wrote:
Permanent four wheel drive systems should have the same tread on all four wheels, F2 is part time so there's no reason you can't have different treads front and rear.
If im wrong somebody will be along if a mow to correct me Very Happy

Pretty sure that correct, my understanding of the FL2 system was it is in RWD for just about all the time until it needs 4WD, I guess if you use full power at every junction and roundabout then 4WD will kick in more often. Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #405690 23rd Mar 2021 11:07 am
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

The Haldex kicks in every time the vehicle pulls away, or when throttle is applied to accelerate.
Because of this, it's pretty important that the tyre's have a similar rolling radius all round.

I discovered this issue when my old diff was making lots of noise. The noise it made was lots louder and harsher when pulling away, and when accelerating with more than about 50% throttle.
Given that the Haldex can transfer considerable torque front to back, or back to front, then for the sake of a couple of tyres, it's best to simply change them all, and rotate them to keep the driveline loads to a minimum. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ionic 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #405693 23rd Mar 2021 12:18 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Boxbrownie wrote:
axle wrote:
If im wrong somebody will be along if a mow to correct me Very Happy

Pretty sure that correct, my understanding of the FL2 system was it is in RWD for just about all the time until it needs 4WD, I guess if you use full power at every junction and roundabout then 4WD will kick in more often.

It's predominantly FRONT WHEEL DRIVE sending power to the REAR when moving off and on demand. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #405694 23rd Mar 2021 12:21 pm
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Sorry yes, brain fade caused by a lack of alcohol during the midday period of abstinence Embarassed Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #405715 23rd Mar 2021 7:49 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Inoticed quite early on in my FL2 ownership that, unlike any other car that I had owned, the rear brakes (and tyres) wore quicker than the fronts.

I posted if this was the cause -

I agree about tyre wear. I have also noticed that my FL2 was unusual in that it seemed to wear the rear brakes slightly quicker than the front.
All other cars wore the front pads out quicker than the rears, and all my FWD cars wore the front tyres twice as quick as the rears.
I do wonder if the rear brakes are being automatically put on by the various stabilisation electronics on the FL2 --- during any (ab)normal driving by me..

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic31040.ht...bilisation FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #405720 23rd Mar 2021 9:28 pm
p_gill

United States 2008 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

Nodge68 wrote:
The Haldex kicks in every time the vehicle pulls away

I agree with Nodge68

I've owned several FWD and RWD cars and I currently have a LR2 and a A4 Quattro

The LR2 pulling away from a stop in the wet or snow is extremely impressive.

To me it feels like it is locked before I touch the accelerator, but if it actually locks a blink of an eye later I am not sure that I could notice the difference.

Either way it works really well.

When my LR2 was new it was advertised as having an improved Haldex with a faster reaction time.

I really like how Land Rover integrated the Haldex.

I could almost forgive them for the Pinion Bearing failure which is likely assisted by the Haldex settings.

Thanks

Paul

PS I think if you turn the steering wheel the engagement is delayed (try it in the rain sometime)

Post #405722 23rd Mar 2021 9:59 pm
p_gill

Quote:
........The result is used exclusively on Freelander 2, and pre-emptively engages four-wheel drive quickly and completely. An improved high-pressure pre-charge pump charges the hydraulic system as soon as the engine is started, allowing for full-time 4x4 from rest. It also reduces the time taken to achieve full torque once wheel-slip has been detected – within 15 degrees of wheel-slip rotation (compared with 50 degrees of wheel-slip rotation with the previous generation Haldex).........

https://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f9...48451.html

Thanks

Paul

Post #405753 25th Mar 2021 1:06 am
p_gill

Getting back to the original question.

If the AWD system is going to engage all the time (which it will) then you should use 4 tires that are the same age.

If you can't do this then disabling the Haldex would work as well.

It may be possible to disable the Haldex by removing the fuse

Thanks

Paul

Post #405754 25th Mar 2021 1:23 am
ozjeff62

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Ipanema Sand

I'm perplexed by these sort of discussions. The rolling diameter of tyres that are very similar in static diameter isn't going to have much of an effect. Every tyre on a car rotates at a different speed and covers a different distance when cornering - the diffs easily compensate for that. Going in a straight line isn't going to load up the diffs so much they are overwhelmed. It's when diffs get locked that there is a problem. But ours are always open, TC uses the brakes to generate drive.

Am I missing something? MY11 SD4 SE Auto

Post #405759 25th Mar 2021 8:09 am
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

In normal use, the Haldex engages as you pull away, but disengages as speed is increased and no wheel slip is sensed and the car will normally run in FWD. It will re-engage if wheel slip is sensed. The special modes change this behaviour but their use is not recommended on roads with good grip and would lead to damage to the driveline. The difference in circumference due to normal tyre wear should not trigger continuous AWD.
So while driving in Sand mode gives great get away from a standstill due to the enhanced throttle response and 4WD, as usual you’ll pay for the fun later!

Post #405760 25th Mar 2021 8:13 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>