Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > United Kingdom > Freelander 2 vs Discovery sport
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Andy131

United Kingdom 

The 20" wheels while bigger than I would like do seem to cope with potholes, farm lanes and the odd off-road day well - unlike some 4x4s LR wheels of any size are tough enough for the job in hand. kerbs on the other hand will make them look scruffy if you are not careful - and I am not as careful as I should be.

We got a puncture on the rear towing the van in Cornwall, a right pain as it means first swapping the spacesaver for one of the front wheels and then putting what was the front wheel were the punctured wheel is, then inflating to cope with the extra load of the van.

Worried about the 50mph using a space saver? Then buy a set of wheel nuts that are suitable for a steel wheel. Her ladyship has an MG3, we specified a full size spare and it came with a full sized steel spare stickered at 50mph, when we asked why, the response was that the car has alloys, the wheel nuts suit the profile of the alloys, steel wheels have a different profile so require different nuts for full speed operation. Unfortunately this isn't applicable to the DS as the space saver has a much narrower profile meaning higher pressure which would lead to overheating Sad Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #405288 15th Mar 2021 12:25 pm
3landertwo

Andy131 " ...... the wheel nuts suit the profile of the alloys, steel wheels have a different profile so require different nuts for full speed operation......."

I thought it was to do with the seating chamfer of the steel wheel being different to that of the alloy ??

Post #405289 15th Mar 2021 12:58 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

So basically they are saying these aren't quite the right bolts for this wheel but you should be OK as long as you don't go over 50 😮 Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #405291 15th Mar 2021 1:49 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Andy131 wrote:
We got a puncture on the rear towing the van in Cornwall, a right pain....

Get a kit to plug the tyre & compressor. I plugged 3 tyres in the outback a few years ago. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #405292 15th Mar 2021 2:02 pm
3landertwo

This is a good read.

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic34901.ht...pare+wheel

shows several variants of towbar mounted spare wheel carriers, this may fit the Discovery Sport.

Post #405293 15th Mar 2021 2:11 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

If memory serves me right the kits where you plug the tyre without removing the tyre are frowned upon in the UK - usually by those wanting to sell you either their services or a new tyre - but will investigate. I still carry the compressor and glue because it's just my luck to get two punctures miles away from home.

A rear mounted wheel carrier is going to be an issue, the towbar is an all singing all dancing deployable version, so no flange. Mounting anything on the rear door is not an option as the rear door is electrically operated, and there are enough people on the DS forum asking how to change dead electrical struts.

See simple is good, fancy is not always clever.

Do have roof bars fitted, so next serious bit of off-roading is going t o have a full sized spare on the roof and the spacesaver inside. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her

Post #405294 15th Mar 2021 2:26 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Bobupndown wrote:
So basically they are saying these aren't quite the right bolts for this wheel but you should be OK as long as you don't go over 50 😮

Sold me a different set of wheel bolts that are used on the version of MG3 with steel wheels, read into that what you will. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her

Post #405295 15th Mar 2021 2:29 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Lightwater wrote:
Andy131 wrote:
We got a puncture on the rear towing the van in Cornwall, a right pain....

Get a kit to plug the tyre & compressor. I plugged 3 tyres in the outback a few years ago.

I used to carry such a plug kit on my Aprilia . The chances of getting a performance bike tyre mended properly or replaced at a non bike place , ( including removing and re-fitting a back wheel that was worth the thick end of a grand ) was not one I wanted to risk . The bike kit came with an inflator tube and a number of “ Sparklets “ type gas cylinders to inflate the tyre , The kit was a no brainer if you were out on your own in the sticks and hadn’t a mobile signal . 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #405296 15th Mar 2021 3:35 pm
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

touch wood ive thankfully only ever had a tyre blow out once on a motorway, the car didn't have a spare or gunk kit (it was my then girlfriends 206 cc)
Called the recovery out and he dragged the car up onto the back of his truck, tied it down on the passenger side only and drove carefully to the services 5 miles down the road to tie it down properly. He said it was too dangerous to tie it down fully or change a tyre on the hard shoulder these days.
I for one wouldn't change a tyre on the roadside unless I could get well clear of passing traffic, on a track or off piste then no problem.

Post #405309 16th Mar 2021 7:34 am
3landertwo

Lightwater wrote:

Just imagine the stress of a puncture on Australia's Great Central Road.

found this from 2015.

...... and that Discovery, sport'd a spare wheel on the roof rack.

Post #405315 16th Mar 2021 9:43 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

In reality apart from a true blowout there is no excuse for needing to change a tyre in an exposed area. The tyre pressure monitoring system will give you plenty of warning to pull over into a safe enough area. fitted to all new cars since 2012?, both punctures on the DS I got a good 10 - 15 minutes warning before the pressure was below 10PSI Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her

Post #405327 16th Mar 2021 12:27 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Apparently not, my 2014 is not so equipped. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #405340 16th Mar 2021 5:10 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

I have after market TPMS. 3 times I have seen the pressure go down, long before the + or - 8 psi alarm I set it to.

Even if it was a faster leak it would be pretty rare that it would be an instant blowout.

The blowout will most likely have happened due to low pressure & the tyre over heating from continuing to drive.

If you have lower pressure you will have time to move somewhere safety. Just keep an eye on pressure & if it down to 25psi stick to 80kph as if you were on a corrugated road. 20psi at 60kph, by then you should have found a safe place.

If running at 32psi, I set the alarm to 34psi (so 26 low & 42 high), as the cold tyres will typically run about 34 to 36 when heated up.

Running at a lower pressure:

An outback tyre pressure warning - reduce 10psi

Click image to enlarge
 Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #405348 17th Mar 2021 1:34 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12