Home > General > Question : EGR powertrain warning light
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
markb88

Malta 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Alaska White
Question : EGR powertrain warning light

Hi everyone!
I would like to ask a question regarding a problem I am facing!
Basically about 1 months ago the engine warnign light came on. I plugged in my bluetooth adaptor and with a mobile software (Torque) It shows a generic error p245A - powertrain which according to google, refers to the EGR.
Next i spent a whole day disassembling the egr and gave it a good clean (it had quite alot of carbon).
about 2 drives after that the light came on again (same code) Sad so I said i need a new EGR!
I bought a new EGR from ebay (oem) and spent another day replacing the EGR valve and also stuck a blanking plate but even then after another drive, the light came on again with the same code so now I have no clue what the problem could be!
The light goes off at times and then back on, so its like the problem it detects is not something permanent.

Does anyone have a similar experience maybe?

Thank you

Freelnader 2 - 2013 model

Post #403951 11th Feb 2021 1:46 pm
GundogSD4

England 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

If you blank the EGR on the later cars you must also have it deleted from the ECU or you will get the code flash up.
Why bother fitting a new EGR then blank it off ?
So remove the blanking plate and if the new EGR is working properly the code will disappear if not have it deleted, sorted.

Post #403952 11th Feb 2021 2:58 pm
Dartman the one

England 

I would question whether Malta is a large enough island to efficiently operate any diesel car, is twice round the island a long distance? Rolling with laughter my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #403960 11th Feb 2021 4:02 pm
markb88

Malta 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Alaska White

Just removed the blanking plate as suggested and the warning light went off! will see if it remains good after some driving!
The reason I placed the plate is because I live in Malta and anywhere I go to, its a short drive so the EGR will eventually start to block again.
Thank you

Post #403980 12th Feb 2021 9:44 am
blacktiger

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Yes, as has been said, the later cars with DPF needs a hole in any blanking plate. It's been discussed lots of times on here and other forums. The sensors need to sense some flow through it otherwise it'll throw a fault code.
Having said all that, I had mine blanked (with hole) last year but I'm still having trouble with restricted performance randomly coming on. I also had a new turbo activation module. My code is P0405(77) MY13 Santorini Black SD4 HSE

Post #403986 12th Feb 2021 1:40 pm
blacktiger

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

markb88 wrote:

The reason I placed the plate is because I live in Malta and anywhere I go to, its a short drive so the EGR will eventually start to block again.
Thank you

It's more likely to be the DPF that blocks if you only do short journeys. MY13 Santorini Black SD4 HSE

Post #403987 12th Feb 2021 1:42 pm
GundogSD4

England 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

The blanking plate with a hole in it does nothing apart from restrict the gases flowing into the EGR causing the same problems as not fitting a blanking plate, the only way to fully over ride the EGR on a later car is to fit a solid blanking plate and have the EGR deleted from the ECU, you will get a cleaner engine and no EGR problems or codes EVER... Problem solved.
With the EGR deleted and blanked you are far less likely to have DPF problems because the amount of soot entering the DPF will be greatly reduced but if you did have a DPF problem then you can carry out a forced Regen...Problem solved.

Post #403991 12th Feb 2021 3:10 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1