Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > MID Trouble (Motor Insurance Database)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White
MID Trouble (Motor Insurance Database)

I had a letter today from the police to say that I had been spotted out on the road in my FL2, but more importantly I was not on the MID. It went on to say that it wasn't a Notice of Prosecution, but just a warning to allow me to obtain insurance or ask my insurers to sort it out.

I rang SAGA Ins Services and they said that a software error was stopping them entering data onto the MID. They went on to say that they were working to cure the fault and were trying to enter the data again.
As my Motor Insurance was renewed in November, I suspect there will be quite a few people getting letters.

I have emailed the police at Operation Tutelage and told them what I have found out, in the hope that it will save them postage and paper sending out further letters in error.

As a footnote, this was only the third time since Christmas that I have strayed beyond my town boundary, all for medical appointments. On the day in question I had to use a bit of 'Managed Motorway' to get to my Eye Clinic.
It just shows you, we are under constant surveillance.

Check your own entry
https://ownvehicle.askmid.com/

PS I am still not on the Database, they can't enter my details yet. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 74k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #403441 30th Jan 2021 7:14 pm
TonyStrud

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Rimini Red

As my mother used to say you can learn something new every day. I had never heard of the MID but I'm glad to say that I'm on the database.

Post #403447 30th Jan 2021 9:08 pm
3landertwo

Ian, will we be seeing you on TV .......... "AVON POLICE INTERCEPTERS" ??

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #403457 31st Jan 2021 9:51 am
IanMetro

No - Because, although my car is still not on the database, if they stop me they will readily agree not to put me on camera, as I have the perfect face for radio.

PS - I believe the missing data problem is quite recent and effects only some of SAGA's Underwriters. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)

Post #403474 31st Jan 2021 4:53 pm
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
Re: MID Trouble (Motor Insurance Database)

IanMetro wrote:

As a footnote, this was only the third time since Christmas that I have strayed beyond my town boundary, all for medical appointments. On the day in question I had to use a bit of 'Managed Motorway' to get to my Eye Clinic.

Barnard Castle by any chance? Rolling with laughter Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #403515 1st Feb 2021 12:14 pm
MotionInc

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame
Re: MID Trouble (Motor Insurance Database)

IanMetro wrote:
I had a letter today from the police to say that I had been spotted out on the road in my FL2, but more importantly I was not on the MID. It went on to say that it wasn't a Notice of Prosecution, but just a warning to allow me to obtain insurance or ask my insurers to sort it out.

I rang SAGA Ins Services and they said that a software error was stopping them entering data onto the MID. They went on to say that they were working to cure the fault and were trying to enter the data again.
As my Motor Insurance was renewed in November, I suspect there will be quite a few people getting letters.

I have emailed the police at Operation Tutelage and told them what I have found out, in the hope that it will save them postage and paper sending out further letters in error.

It just shows you, we are under constant surveillance.

Check your own entry
https://ownvehicle.askmid.com/

PS I am still not on the Database, they can't enter my details yet.

WTF????!!!!! That's just nutz.............guess it's only time before Canada goes that route. Evil or Very Mad

Post #403520 1st Feb 2021 1:22 pm
Boxbrownie

What bit is nuts? Regards

David

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #403521 1st Feb 2021 1:32 pm
3landertwo

" ....... On the day in question I had to use a bit of 'Managed Motorway' to get to my Eye Clinic......."

Like Dominic ....... they saw you Cummin. Whistle

I checked my details on MID and yes I am on there, but have have been with the same insurance company for years.

Post #403525 1st Feb 2021 2:34 pm
MotionInc

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

Boxbrownie wrote:
What bit is nuts?

The surveillance by the "state", followed up by letters. I get pandemic but by God, there is also "privacy". These very people that are promoting and enforcing these "restrictions" are also breaking them.

EDIT: Now, I don't think Canada has an MID that monitors by video surveillance but I could be wrong.

Post #403527 1st Feb 2021 3:00 pm
congoblue

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Loire Blue

In UK they use ANPR (number plate recognition) cameras to check for people on the road without MOT and/or insurance. In my book this is a good thing, otherwise they only catch the uninsured drivers after they've crashed into you.

I am not sure how this relates to the pandemic, or did they also tell you off for being out of your house? I presume they would not have contacted you at all had it not been for the insurance problem.

Post #403531 1st Feb 2021 4:29 pm
I Like Chips

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

It's the price we pay for bringing wrongdoers to book.

Post #403533 1st Feb 2021 5:33 pm
Boxbrownie

congoblue wrote:
In UK they use ANPR (number plate recognition) cameras to check for people on the road without MOT and/or insurance. In my book this is a good thing, otherwise they only catch the uninsured drivers after they've crashed into you.

I am not sure how this relates to the pandemic, or did they also tell you off for being out of your house? I presume they would not have contacted you at all had it not been for the insurance problem.

Absolutely......I didn’t get the “nuts” bit, that’s all......catching Pratt’s without insurance or MoTs is a bl00dy good thing. Regards

David

Post #403534 1st Feb 2021 5:39 pm
Boxbrownie

MotionInc wrote:
Boxbrownie wrote:
What bit is nuts?

EDIT: Now, I don't think Canada has an MID that monitors by video surveillance but I could be wrong.

The MID is a National database held by the insurance companies it helps stopping people telling porkies when they buy insurance and say “no...me?.....never been caught for drink driving *hic*...” or any other naughty efforts such as hiding accidents etc.

MID does not and never has monitored motorists while driving on the road, that is under the responsibility of the ANPR network and the police (when they get out and drive around)...... Regards

David

Post #403536 1st Feb 2021 5:44 pm
congoblue

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Loire Blue

Yes but don't the police and/or the ANPR system use the same database to check whether people are insured or not? Are you saying that there is another database of insurance?

Post #403538 1st Feb 2021 7:03 pm
IanMetro

To help make things clear I have attached an extract from my Police letter.
You can see that it is non threatening although over the page it does list the various penalties, and to say "We will continue to check your vehicle against our databases to ensure that legislation is complied with."

PS Boxbrownie - David, I was driving TO an Eye Test - Not AS an Eye Test! FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)

Post #403542 1st Feb 2021 7:58 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>