Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Cleaning diesel injectors
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
tascusi

Italy 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Narvik Black
Cleaning diesel injectors

Greetings to the forum.
Recently, on youtube, I saw some videos where the cleaning of the diesel injectors was done. In particular, once the injector was extracted and placed on the bench, it was connected to a power supply with the voltage provided for that specific injector and then, to clean it internally, a specific liquid was passed inside the injector.
So, recently I also took out the injectors of my 2008 FL 2 TD4 and I wanted to try putting them on the bench to clean them internally. I tried to give the correct voltage, which is then 5 V, but nothing. I have not heard any injector activate.
Could you tell me what procedure you need to take to activate and clean them once they are extracted and placed on the counter?
Thanks to all who will answer me.
M.

Post #403438 30th Jan 2021 7:24 pm
alex_pescaru

They are piezo injectors and you need approximately 120V to open them. And the current must flow in both directions, for opening and closing, otherwise they will remain open.
This is why is dangerous, with the piezo injectors, to remove the electric connector, while the engine is running, to verify if the injector is working or not.
In certain cases they can remain open and then... ruined cylinder/engine or worse.
So no, you can't open them as you've done it, like with the old, electromagnetic injectors, at least not at those voltages you've used.
You need 120+ volts, at peak currents of 8+ amps. Danger zone... be careful.
See more info here: https://www.freel2.com/gallery/albums/user...ectors.pdf

Use Wynns diesel system purge. https://www.wynns.eu/product/diesel-system-purge/
You need to make the engine use only the liquid in the bottle. Do no pour in the tank.
They say that you need a special machine, but the idea is to use some hoses to suck from the bottle and then return the surplus also in the bottle.
Run the engine until the 1 liter bottle is empty.
Much easier in this way than what you want to do.

Post #403439 30th Jan 2021 7:35 pm
ozjeff62

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Ipanema Sand

Alex, that is a deviously wonderful procedure. I can hardly wait to try it. MY11 SD4 SE Auto

Post #403466 31st Jan 2021 12:54 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

I must add that they need 10 bar pressure to open and close as well, thats why return pressure is controlled and the reason its dangerous to crack a pipe whilst running to check for pressure.
2nd its extremely detrimental to lay an injector on its side or on a bench, including just the dust in the atmosphere or from a rag could actually enter an injector and cause it to seize. Once they have been in an engine and run they must always remain upright ! otherwise any microscopic particles and travel up or down the injector fouling the moving valves Jaguar x-type sport gone
Jaguar x-type 2.2d sport one of my best cars ever sadly gone
Freelander 2 GS auto 2008 most unreliable ever ! gladly gone
Freelander 2 GS manual 2013 only time will tell !

Post #403467 31st Jan 2021 1:44 pm
Iepulere2

Romania 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

I am also very curious to try the purge system on my injectors as well, as I also suspect an issue on them, but I was reluctant to try this method on my own, without seeing some instructions. I remember reading a while ago that Alex tried it directly on the tank, but this will normally not have the same results.
So if someone does it (@ozzjeff62), some feedback would be greatly appreciated. I was rather cautious on getting air into the fuel system when connecting / disconnecting the pipes, my understanding was this would be a problem.
Here's a video on the procedure done on an Audi:

Post #403559 2nd Feb 2021 9:28 am
gasman

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

I did something similar to what Alex has suggested.
Only difference being I emptied the fuel filter then refilled with the diesel purge via the inlet connection on the filter.
Worked fine for me. Thumbs Up Now at the point when I learn something new something old is lost out the other side !
Now retired so it doesn't matter anymore.
Freelander now gone.

Post #403565 2nd Feb 2021 12:58 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

We used to have a lot of problems with the progressive stages of some diesel injectors on Peugeot/Citroen HDi's

The fix was run the engine until hot,( as hot as we could get ) drain the fuel filter, fill filter with diesel injector magic, another one in the fuel tanks, start & run for 40 seconds and switch off.

The concentrated cleaner used to sit in hot injectors left overnight and then start up in the morning and drive.
used to fix about 90% of the diesel issues. Jaguar x-type sport gone
Jaguar x-type 2.2d sport one of my best cars ever sadly gone
Freelander 2 GS auto 2008 most unreliable ever ! gladly gone
Freelander 2 GS manual 2013 only time will tell !

Post #403570 2nd Feb 2021 1:24 pm
tascusi

oldgeezer wrote:
I must add that they need 10 bar pressure to open and close as well, thats why return pressure is controlled and the reason its dangerous to crack a pipe whilst running to check for pressure.
2nd its extremely detrimental to lay an injector on its side or on a bench, including just the dust in the atmosphere or from a rag could actually enter an injector and cause it to seize. Once they have been in an engine and run they must always remain upright ! otherwise any microscopic particles and travel up or down the injector fouling the moving valves

What you say is true. In fact, even in the workshop manual, on page 999-1000, we read "

CAUTION: This type of injector contains a hydraulic chamber. It is important that the injector is handled correctly to
prevent the hydraulic chamber from emptying. The injector is to be capped and maintained in an upright position, and
must not be laid on the side or shaken.
Do not attempt to remove carbon deposits from the diesel injector nozzle".

What I don't understand, however, is why it says in the workshop manual not to try to remove carbon deposits from the diesel injector nozzle. Why not?

Post #403613 3rd Feb 2021 7:46 am
tascusi

alex_pescaru wrote:

See more info here: https://www.freel2.com/gallery/albums/user...ectors.pdf

Thanks for the good document you pointed out to me. It's very interesting.

Post #403614 3rd Feb 2021 7:48 am
tascusi

Iepulere2 wrote:
I am also very curious to try the purge system on my injectors as well, as I also suspect an issue on them, but I was reluctant to try this method on my own, without seeing some instructions. I remember reading a while ago that Alex tried it directly on the tank, but this will normally not have the same results.
So if someone does it (@ozzjeff62), some feedback would be greatly appreciated. I was rather cautious on getting air into the fuel system when connecting / disconnecting the pipes, my understanding was this would be a problem.

I am convinced that the procedure shown in the video can also be replicated on the FL 2 TD4 like mine. The system is really useful and practical. It is not necessary to resort to special instruments or sophisticated machinery.
Thanks for the nice video.

Post #403615 3rd Feb 2021 7:51 am
tascusi

Iepulere2 wrote:

If I have not misunderstood, in the video the connection on the diesel filter is made. The delivery from the tank and the return of the diesel fuel, which is not normally burned by the injectors, is connected with a closed circuit.
Then a plastic bottle is filled with the injector cleaning liquid and two pipes are connected on the diesel filter. A tube that starts from the bottle and goes to the injectors, passing through the diesel filter.
Another tube, with a small filter, goes inside the plastic bottle and brings the cleaning liquid that is not burned back into the bottle itself, thus creating a closed circuit. The engine runs until the cleaning fluid is used up.

This system, however, raises a question to me: does the cleaning liquid, when it enters the combustion chamber, damage the engine?

Post #403616 3rd Feb 2021 7:59 am
alex_pescaru

The cleaning liquid is a fuel and the engine is running on it.
The formula is in fact kerosene with a cetane enhancer.
A lamp oil, no more, no less.

The connection schematic below.
The loopback on the car's fuel filter is made because on this car (the one on the video) there is a delivery fuel pump in tank for lifting the fuel to the engine.
No need on FL2. But doesn't hurt if you put it.

Post #403617 3rd Feb 2021 8:30 am
tascusi

Thank you. Soon I try to clean the injectors with this scheme. It must be cool.

Post #403661 4th Feb 2021 6:38 am
tascusi

tascusi wrote:
Iepulere2 wrote:

If I have not misunderstood, in the video the connection on the diesel filter is made. The delivery from the tank and the return of the diesel fuel, which is not normally burned by the injectors, is connected with a closed circuit.
Then a plastic bottle is filled with the injector cleaning liquid and two pipes are connected on the diesel filter. A tube that starts from the bottle and goes to the injectors, passing through the diesel filter.
Another tube, with a small filter, goes inside the plastic bottle and brings the cleaning liquid that is not burned back into the bottle itself, thus creating a closed circuit. The engine runs until the cleaning fluid is used up.

This system, however, raises a question to me: does the cleaning liquid, when it enters the combustion chamber, damage the engine?

Thank you. Can you recommend me a good product to clean the injectors like in the video above?
Thank you

Post #404129 16th Feb 2021 7:57 am
alex_pescaru

I've recommended one in the second post in this thread, just after your initial post...

Post #404131 16th Feb 2021 8:36 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>